Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Ian hopefully you find something suitable eventually Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Ange. Could be today, could be in 6 months time. We are in no hurry. It's been a while since I have been seriously looking at new cars in this segment (always been looking at the fantasy side!), and quite frankly, I am a bit disappointed (as is Val) in the quality of vehicles available at the moment. Thought things would have improved (quality of fit/finish/gizmos, etc.) since the Astras were first purchased.
    In the end, the Astra is a bloody well built car. And, as there is nothing wrong with Val's Astra, we may very well end up keeping it!
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imay Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Ange. Could be today, could be in 6 months time. We are in no hurry. It's been a while since I have been seriously looking at new cars in this segment (always been looking at the fantasy side!), and quite frankly, I am a bit disappointed (as is Val) in the quality of vehicles available at the moment. Thought things would have improved (quality of fit/finish/gizmos, etc.) since the Astras were first purchased.
    In the end, the Astra is a bloody well built car. And, as there is nothing wrong with Val's Astra, we may very well end up keeping it!
    Same here Ian, always 'fantasy shopping' myself Click here to enlarge

Also getting serious about a Cali replacement and new DD, hope you and Val do find something you like eventually Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    i felt like i was in a tupperware lunchbox!
    seats where uncomfortable, dash was yuck, and the drivers seating position was weird.
    im 6'4" so its a bit deal, the driver positioning
    i honestly felt safer and had a better ride in my 1991 laser
    I completely agree with you

I remember going and sitting in one in a showroom and the rear interior door handle was falling off. I was like... great!!

But 'apparently' the drive outweighs all of this Click here to enlarge
    2006 Subaru WRX

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't anyone noticed that cars seem to be getting more cheaply made at each iteration?

Go have a sit in a NEW Liberty for example. Then sit in the just outgoing model. There is a small, yet noticeable, feeling that money has been ripped out of the quality of the interior. It may all work perfectly well but it just isn't "nice" to look at or touch.

I have no doubt what so ever that the new model will be a better drive... but maybe they should have spent less money on a totally new rear suspension and a bit more on interior ambience and "perceived" quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    Hasn't anyone noticed that cars seem to be getting more cheaply made at each iteration?

Go have a sit in a NEW Liberty for example. Then sit in the just outgoing model. There is a small, yet noticeable, feeling that money has been ripped out of the quality of the interior. It may all work perfectly well but it just isn't "nice" to look at or touch.

I have no doubt what so ever that the new model will be a better drive... but maybe they should have spent less money on a totally new rear suspension and a bit more on interior ambience and "perceived" quality.
    I completely agree!! The interior of cars are getting worse and worse...looks cool but wouldnt last more than a few weeks without being scratched. Same goes for exterior...head lamps, tail lights, and heaps of little chrome crap all look very cheaply made. There is also extensive use of plastic in engine bay etc...like some rocket cover etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    I completely agree!! The interior of cars are getting worse and worse...looks cool but wouldnt last more than a few weeks without being scratched. Same goes for exterior...head lamps, tail lights, and heaps of little chrome crap all look very cheaply made. There is also extensive use of plastic in engine bay etc...like some rocket cover etc.
    That's across the board, as I've mentioned elsewhere...you'll find the same thing in expensive Euros as well, I can take pics and show you the interior of a very good friends SL/K with the silver and chrome finish has come off buttons etc. in the interior and it's only 2 years old and that's just the start of that cars problems...

Looks or design finish of alot of the new interiors is another subjective area...

That's why when I'm looking at a current new 'normal' car for use as a DD, I look at features/kit/performance/practicality etc. it has to offer for the money and the o/a reliability of the thing mechanically speaking and if the external and interior design appeals, the finish type and quality won't be that much different to other new vehicles, especially those in a similar price range...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, guys (and thanks for the opinions).
    She's made her decision and the Subaru Impreza RS won. Dealer just has to find one to her specs in the country and the Astra 5 door will be no more. So, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to get myself organised and have some bits'n'pieces loaded on the For Sale pages should anyone be interested.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice - congrats! Wouldnt she be interested in the WRX?Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imay Click here to enlarge
    Update, guys (and thanks for the opinions).
    She's made her decision and the Subaru Impreza RS won. Dealer just has to find one to her specs in the country and the Astra 5 door will be no more. So, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to get myself organised and have some bits'n'pieces loaded on the For Sale pages should anyone be interested.
    Congrats Ian and Val of course Click here to enlarge

Great choice IMHO as I too fancy the new Impreza both hatch and sedan and the RS spec is the min. I'd want...

Happy motoring in the new joy in a couple weeks time Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information