Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on Subby Impreza

It's looking like it could be getting close to time for a change (wife's Astra, not the convertible!) and the Subaru Impreza RS hatch is gaining her undivided attention at the moment.

Anyone on here got one, know of anyone that's got one, or got an opinion? Probably won't matter what you say anyway (my opinion hasn't counted for much so far!) but any background from people that are "in the know" would be very beneficial, before she actually makes up her mind.
    To be honest, I really can't find too much at fault with them. Actually prefer them over the Mazda3. Test drove one recently and really wasn't impressed. Whereas the Impreza seems to be ticking all the boxes quiet easily.

So, don't hold back guys/girls. Any opinions appreciated.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    cant really go wrong with an Impreza - built well, and you'll have little issues with the boxer engine as long as its serviced as per the logbook.

interior plastics are a bit crappy but if you or your wife can live with that, its a great car.*

*biased Ex Subaru owner. Click here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered the sedan with dual exhaust?but I guess the rear lights dont look as good as the hatch.

Someone here bought a WRX hatch a while ago... He might have some feedback for you.

Subarus are generally well built, Its made in japan, It does not have the smiley front bumper (hehe) - and you get AWD. Are you getting auto or manual? The only thing I could comment on is the interior..it does not look as nice/modern as the mazda...looks a bit cheap.

Did you test drive the new generation mazda 3 hatch? which model...neo, maxx, maxx sport, sp25 or mps?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love the new hatch its a well put together car. Only other option I can think of is a lancer ralliart or civic si or liberty
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    subi nice car well built but service and maintanice is the expesive part of but if you want it go for it
    Click here to enlargeMatt Black Astra SRi Turbo Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boorny88 Click here to enlarge
    haha guy is alwyas available for me haha
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sooty Click here to enlarge
    Opinions are like assholes.....everyone has one and they're all full of shit...Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boorny Click here to enlarge
    subi nice car well built but service and maintanice is the expesive part of but if you want it go for it
    ??? turbo service runs to about 250-300 every 6 months with a big service (around 800-1000) every 2 years. N/A would be cheaper.

Hardly expensive considering servicing Astras and Veccys at Holden cost 500/year.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having owned 3 Subaru's I can say they are great cars..

The NA versions (owned one, Liberty Sedan) are a little down on power and use a little more fuel than comparable vehicles from other manufacturers for the same size engine. But the boxer is smooth and has lots of torque.

That said, the two STi's and one Liberty I have owned never missed a beat. And the STi's copped an absolute beating!!!
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheels or Motor did a test of all the small sedans (<30K I think) recently. The downsides of the Impreza were the interior plastics and how SLOW it was. Its too heavy for the poor 2L engine. They like the rest of the car (the sedan version). Smooth ride and fairly quiet.

I suppose if you were to get one, the RS is the poor value model in the range. I would be wondering if the $5500 more for the RS is worth it over the basic R (same engine, suspension etc) or the cheaper RX. You are getting close to the price of a SP25 or Golf 118tsi for the price of the Impreza RS.

As Wraith said, the Mazda 3 (2L models) is a better car overall, and dare I say it, a Cruze is better value for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not keen on 'em. My sis owns the RS. It's like driving a toy and the whole thing feels very flimsy... at least compared to the Astras.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    Have you considered the sedan with dual exhaust?but I guess the rear lights dont look as good as the hatch.

Someone here bought a WRX hatch a while ago... He might have some feedback for you.

Subarus are generally well built, Its made in japan, It does not have the smiley front bumper (hehe) - and you get AWD. Are you getting auto or manual? The only thing I could comment on is the interior..it does not look as nice/modern as the mazda...looks a bit cheap.

Did you test drive the new generation mazda 3 hatch? which model...neo, maxx, maxx sport, sp25 or mps?
    She doesn't want a sedan - prefers to stick with what she is comfortable with. Plus we really don't mind the single pipe on the hatch.
    Sedan boot is actually bigger than the hatch as the tail is a good 6 inches longer. But the hatch is still a more practical shape, in my opinion.

Auto as she doesn't do manual. But, in her defence, she drives to and from in peak traffic every day. And with the Sports-shift (woohoo) I can still have a bit of a play when/if I'm allowed to drive it.

Interior in the RS is nice. The RS gets the sports seats which are far, far more comfortable than the R/RX. Leather/sunroof/HID package is good value at $3000, but the leather is not of a very good quality and seats aren't heated.

Test drove the Maxx Sport and the SP25 (which was my initial choice). I really thought the Mazda3 was overdone in the dash/console area. Way too big for this size car. The puny little sat-nav was a waste of time (no bigger than my Navman). Dash that sweeps in towards the console restricts the front passenger/driver knee room too much. And it doesn't seem to matter what brand car we choose they all have crappy silver/grey painted plastic bits that are screaming out: SCRATCH ME! And, as Mazda is having no trouble selling cars at present, they were very reluctant to negotiate anywhere near what I wanted. Plus I was underwhelmed by the SP25 performance.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Thread Information