Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the future, in the past, somewhere ......
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do differentials work-old school video

We all know about diffs, but those of you who are not James May, will find this educational.

http://paultan.org/2009/08/12/how-do...eo/#more-16110
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Click here to enlarge
    "oooh Simon gets a turbo, this could be dangerous!" Mr Cali
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice...the way i learnt how a diff works was with "lego" and later in life pulling apart a diff at pick and pay much more blacktown.
    Make me a sandwich.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats pretty cool, simple to follow and educational yes.

thanks Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find, I have always had a vague idea on how they work, but that's the best explanation I've ever seen. So easy to follow. Where's the one for the atb lsds? I struggle visualising how they work from the diagrams..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I love those old Jam Handy videos.
    '02 Astra 2.2 SRi

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    lol love it!!

weld that shit up!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

"got some change for the bus there brother?" Kingston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great video as everyone has said very easy to follow...

Looking at the diff moving at the start of the video I was thinking there was no way I'd understand after watching it once but as he says the concept is really simple once explained.
    Angel Eyes, Eyelids, LED Tail Lights, K&N Replacement Panel Filter, 17" Alloy Wheels, Slotted Rotors
    QFM Super X Brake Pads.

Click here to enlarge
    Mahh rahhhd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome video. very educational, makes sense. :P
    Second questions, what do LSD's have to do with it? Or are differentials = LSD's? :P I googled it, but I didn't make much sense of it. hehe. Can anyone explain?

Click here to enlarge
    [ My 2008 Astra GTC Coupe ]
    Mods: [ Mods Galore, check my car thread to view ]

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love how they make the woman go on the easy wheel at the end Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mmahle Click here to enlarge
    awesome video. very educational, makes sense. :P
    Second questions, what do LSD's have to do with it? Or are differentials = LSD's? :P I googled it, but I didn't make much sense of it. hehe. Can anyone explain?
    I'll try and explain it Click here to enlarge.

A normal, "open", differential does two things:

It splits the torque 50/50 to each wheel.
    It spins at least on wheel at the speed of the driveshaft going in to it. (Lets ignore for this that most difs have an effect on the final drive ratio..)

What this means is that under normal driving the car can go around corners with the two wheels going different speeds - which is desired. The problem arises though when one wheel can spin too easily.

ie, if you suspend one wheel in the air with the other on the road, the wheel in the air won't require much torque at all to spin it. Now because the torque is split exactly 50/50, the other wheel also gets not much torque - not enough to move the car. The same thing happens when the unladen wheel breaks free around a corner. It'll limit the amount of torque that can be sent to the wheel with more grip, as it takes comparatively little to keep an unladen wheel spinning.

For this reason an awd made up of three open differentials will have less grip then a fwd or rwd, because the traction is limited by which of the four wheels has the least grip.

An LSD attempts to solve this problem. Three main types that I know of (and my vague understanding of how they work):

Viscous LSD: Think of each wheel having a second connection to the driveshaft. Not directly connected though - it's broken in the middle, with a liquid filling the break. Under normal circumstances this broken connection does nothing. However when the speed of the wheel differs by a lot compared to the driveshaft, the fluid heats up. It's a viscous fluid - so that as it gets hot it'll become gooier, becoming more solid to bridge the connection. This limits the speed one wheel can rotate in relation to the other. Not very good for fwd's, as they tend to suddenly bite. Also tend to wear out over time. This is your standard rwd lsd.

ATB: Quaife's Click here to enlarge. Rather then send 50/50 torque to each wheel, up to (in the case of Quaife) 4 times the torque will be sent to the wheel that isn't limiting the torque. Great for fwds. On their own terrible for off-roading, as if one wheel comes off the ground, 4 times not much is still not much. Hummer's solve this by applying the brakes on the wheel that's in the air - the differential will then send 4 times the braking force as a drive force to the other wheel. I have no idea how ATBs work.

Electronic LSD: Think Evos, and the future of difs. I believe similar to ATBs, but rather then the torque bias being managed by clever gear arrangements, a computer somehow manages it. Only problem is the mechatronics involved may take longer to respond then a purely mechanical solution, however with proper setup they will make better "choices" with what to do with the torque then any purely mechanical system.

Think that's about it. Longer post then I intended, apologies Click here to enlarge

EDIT: Does this make me James May?

Thread Information