Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New MPS 3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few more pics of different colours...love the aluminium silver and the celestial blue looks nice too, for those who want to hide 'the lines' the black seems to do just that...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I've got a whole collection of pics at a very large size to get a very good idea of what the car looks like all over, but they'll take ages to load up...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested, a very thorough and very favourable new MPS3 review...

Link:http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...zda3-mps-16036

Article:

words - Stephen Ottley
    Mazda has applied lessons learned to its updated hot hatch

What we liked
    >> Aggressive new styling
    >> Well priced and equipped
    >> So much power and torque

Not so much
    >> Too much power and torque
    >> Interior trim won't age well
    >> Steering lacks feel at the limit

Overall rating: 3.0/5.0
    Engine/Drivetrain/Chassis: 4.0/5.0
    Price, Packaging and Practicality: 3.0/5.0
    Safety: 3.0/5.0
    Behind the wheel: 4.0/5.0
    X-factor: 3.0/5.0

About our ratings

OVERVIEW
    -- Once more with feeling
    Mazda made quite an impact when it joined the hot hatch brigade back in 2006 with its first generation Mazda3 MPS (Mazda Performance Series). Its 2.3-litre turbo four-pot pumped out an amazing 190kW and 380Nm to put its rivals to shame.

Unfortunately, front-wheel drive Mazda couldn’t quite get all that grunt to the road as smoothly as the likes of the (45kW less muscular) Volkswagen Golf GTI and all-wheel-drive Subaru Impreza WRX. But as first efforts go, the 3 MPS was a worthy offering.

Now the Japanese company is back for another crack at setting the benchmark for hot hatches with the new generation model. A lot has changed since 2006 too. The Mazda3 has become one of Australia's most popular cars, Mazda has grown considerably and there are seemingly more hot hatch offerings than ever.

Indeed, competition hasn’t stood still -- the new Golf GTI set to touch down in Australia by the end of the year and an all-new megane RS is not that far away. That means the new 3 MPS needs to ramp up its real world skills without losing the appealing aspects of the out-going model.

With that in mind Mazda has taken a careful approach to the new model, focusing on improving the weak areas and leaving the strengths alone. That means the engine remains untouched but the chassis has been re-engineered, the gearbox tweaked and exterior re-styled.

Interestingly though, Mazda has set its expectations significantly lower for this model. While the company was aiming for 130 sales per month when it launched the previous generation in 2006, this time around it is after just 70 units. Perhaps it’s a sign of the times or some overly optimistic thinking first time around… More than anything, we reckon, it’s a sign of just how competitive the market for hot hatches has become.

PRICE AND EQUIPMENT
    -- More gear, less money
    As before Mazda is offering two grades for the MPS, a base and Luxury model. The basic model is priced from $39,690 (price guide not including statutory and government charges) and the Luxury starts at $43,290. Mazda says those prices represented a $300 and $400 saving over the previous generation.

Both models enjoy the same upgrades as the rest of the Mazda3 range. That means a new 4.1-inch colour information/navigation screen, Bluetooth connectivity, ambient temperature gauge and trip computer are all on the equipment list. And add to that dual-zone air-conditioning, cruise control, drilled aluminium pedals and footrest, auto headlights, leather wrapped steering wheel and gear shift, six-disc in-dash MP3/WMA-compatible CD player with AUX-in jack, eight-way adjustable driver's seat, power windows and mirrors, keyless entry and ignition and tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment.

Both versions feature combination leather/cloth seat surfaces. The extra money for the Luxury model, instead buys you auto dimming rear view mirror, auto bi-xenon headlights with Adaptive Front-lighting System, premium BOSE 10-speaker sound system and rain sensing front wipers.

MECHANICAL
    -- Same power but more grip
    Having decided that 190kW at 5500rpm and 380Nm from 3000rpm was enough, the Mazda engineers instead worked on transferring that performance to the road via the front tyres. However, they did manage to lower the fuel economy and emissions slightly. Combined fuel economy is down to 9.9L/100km from 10.0L and CO2 emissions have dropped three grams from 238g/km to 235. For the record, fuel tank capacity was also increased by five litres.

But the real crux of the changes are centered around the drivetrain, including changes to the chassis, gearbox, brakes, wheels and tyres, exhaust, driveshafts and suspension.

The chassis has been stiffened and reinforced around the front cowl. But while the body-in-white is lighter than the old model, additional equipment means it actually weighs in 50kg heavier.

Both the front and rear suspension has been overhauled. At the front the MacPherson strut layout now has a stronger crossmember made from stamped metal that allows for thicker cross-arm and crossmember bushings for increased lateral rigidity. The multi-link rear suspension also enjoys improved lateral rigidity courtesy of a revised centre member.

In order to improve corner stability and control the coil spring rates, both front and rear have been charged; the front is now softer while the rear is firmer. These work with improved dampers for further ride and handling improvements. Both front and rear stabiliser bars are thicker too, for flatter cornering.

Further improvements have been made to the ride and handling via new, larger tyres. Dunlop 225/40R18 rubber sits on 18-inch wheels, similar to the RX-8. In addition to being wider, the new tyres feature a more rigid sidewall to help improve responsiveness.

Braking has also been improved to cope with the increased performance. The front ventilated discs have been increased to 320mm in diameter, the sold rear discs measure 280mm.

In an admission the old model struggled with torque steer Mazda has stiffened the drive shafts in a bid to combat the problem.

The six-speed manual transmission is largely carried over but receives some important tweaks. The ratios have been widened to make better use of the car’s bountiful torque, while sixth gear has been altered to improve fuel economy at high speeds. The shift action has been improved thanks to new synchronizers on first, second, third and fourth gear.

PACKAGING
    -- Forsaking subtly for aggression
    Though the MPS features the same basic new look as the rest of the Mazda3 range (see original review), Mazda has taken steps to ramp-up the aggression of the new hot 3.

Mazda’s decision to take a conservative approach to the styling of the first generation MPS wasn’t universally well received. In the latest version the designers have added a large WRX-style bonnet scoop, new front quarter panel and bumper, areo-style side skirts, reprofiled rear bumper and larger rear wing.

Inside there are all the usual hot hatch treatment with leather/cloth sports seats, sports pedals and leather steering wheel and gearshift trim. Once again, the MPS benefits from the upgrades to the new generation model 3 including the swoopy new dash with integrated satnav screen.

In keeping with its ‘Zoom-Zoom’ philosophy, the dash now includes a turbo boost gauge between the large round speedo and tacho. Mazda claims it “heightens the car’s high-performance feel” and while it’s a nice touch it’s hard to notice when driving.

The biggest disappointment with the interior is the patterned trim used on the seats, doors and dash. The red dots on a black background does nothing to improve the looks and will almost certainly date quickly. What ever happened to good old fashioned aluminium and perforated sports leather, eh Mazda?

SAFETY
    -- All the usual acronyms
    Both the active and passive safety features of the Mazda3 range are carried over to the MPS. That means Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA).

The Mazda engineers have tweaked the DSC system specifically for the MPS and true to its performance name the system can be switched off to allow an unadulterated flow of power. Fair warning, though, with all that grunt under the bonnet you’ll need to be both confident and skillful to turn DSC off.

Passively there are six-airbags (front drive and passenger, front side and front and rear curtain), and active head restraints in addition to the usual safety structures and crumple zones built into the chassis.

COMPETITORS
    -- No shortage of opposition
    As mentioned above, there is plenty of competition in the hot hatch segment from both Japan and Europe. While the battle is close, the VW Golf GTI is widely held to rule the roost, despite its power deficit, and a new, more advanced model is due before Christmas.

In addition to the VW the MPS has to fend of challenges from fellow front-wheel drivers the Renault Megane RS Cup, Skoda Ocatvia RS, Honda Civic Type R and Ford Focus XR5. And given price and performance the Subaru Impreza WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart must also be considered. They have similar levels of power and torque but, more importantly, have the advantage of all-wheel drive traction.

ON THE ROAD
    -- Does power corrupt?
    Torque steer was the biggest handicap of the first generation 3 MPS and despite the company’s best efforts it remains an issue. In fairness to Mazda, it has done a great job minimising it on the new model. It remains to be seen if any manufacturer can transmit 190kW and 380Nm through the front-wheels any more efficiently.

In many ways the biggest problem with the Mazda3 MPS is the engine, or more precisely just how good the engine is. Mazda’s ability to extract so much performance from the 2.3-litre four-pot is very impressive. It enjoys a great combination of low-end torque and high-end power to give an uninterrupted delivery of power. And the midrange performance is nothing short of astonishing, with Mazda claiming real-world testing has shown the car to be quicker accelerating from 80-120km/h in third, fourth and fifth gears than a Porsche 911 Carrera or BMW M3.

So trying to get that amount of power to the road through wheels that are turning, braking and absorbing bumps was always going to be a difficult task. But it is the only major disappointment on an otherwise impressive offering.

The gearbox is hard to fault with a good action, feel and throw and the brakes are strong and consistent. Suspension is well sorted, firm without being harsh. On the downside while the steering is direct it does lacks feel and feedback, just like the regular Mazda3.

Pushing the MPS to the limit around a track (a former driver training facility just outside Canberra) the car impressed with its abilities but to get the most out of it required a delicate touch. Unlike the less powerful VW Golf GTI that can be grabbed by the scruff of the neck, the Mazda demands more respect to get the most out of it.

Under brakes the car remains stable, the turn-in is sharp and the mid-corner grip is strong but corner exit is where the MPS needs special attention. Push the right pedal too hard or too soon and the DSC will kick-in and lead to understeer. While it’s true that any car will react badly if you mash the throttle, against its rivals like the Golf GTI, WRX and Ralliart, the MPS is left wanting.

Once it’s straight though and you can get on the power the MPS wants for nothing. It is brilliantly quick point-to-point thanks to that brilliant engine. It’s so impressive in this respect that you can forgive the torque steer and the steering complaints.

While it may be harder to drive on the limit than some of its rivals, that may not be a negative for a lot of drivers -- the better you drive the more the MPS rewards you. And the rewards are well worth the hard work.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    review appears to be similar to the old one..

more powerful, but not as composed as its rivals, namely GTI, XR5 & Megane.

I suppose thats what happens when you try and cram 190kW through the front wheels.

having said that, I wouldn't mind own one of these, however all reports say the GTI is still the better all round car. I'm not saying it just because I also own a GTI.. haha

I will ECU tune my GTI shortly, but not convinced it will make it a better car like it did with my SRiT...

The GTI will need some suspension work to make use of the power, as it's already struggles putting down the power when going 8/10s through corners.. extra power will make it even worse...

Lets hope the MPS3 has reduced their real world fuel consumption compared to the old model.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    review appears to be similar to the old one..

more powerful, but not as composed as its rivals, namely GTI, XR5 & Megane.

I suppose thats what happens when you try and cram 190kW through the front wheels.

having said that, I wouldn't mind own one of these, however all reports say the GTI is still the better all round car. I'm not saying it just because I also own a GTI.. haha

I will ECU tune my GTI shortly, but not convinced it will make it a better car like it did with my SRiT...

The GTI will need some suspension work to make use of the power, as it's already struggles putting down the power when going 8/10s through corners.. extra power will make it even worse...

Lets hope the MPS3 has reduced their real world fuel consumption compared to the old model.
    Agree John...

My concern if I were to be seriously looking at one of these is its fuel burn as I'd be driving it daily, mate of mine with the outgoing model always complains about that side of it, but he does flog it all the time...that though is his only complaint, otherwise he absolutely loves the thing Click here to enlarge

He too like most other owners can't understand what all the fuss is about the torque steer issue...according to reviews so far, this new MPS3 is much better off in this regard, so I doubt most end uses would find any complaints...

Lets wait and see how the VW Scirocco R with 200kw and 350nm and FWD compares...it's only a matter of time before other FWD hot hatches etc. are at similar power and torque levels and I doubt they're all going to adopt the 'Revoknuckle' setup Click here to enlarge

I just keep thinking of one of these new MPS3's with a quick remap to 225kw and 440nm, imagine its already impressive in gear acceleration with that little added extra, just take it easy on the corners Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Agree John...

My concern if I were to be seriously looking at one of these is its fuel burn as I'd be driving it daily, mate of mine with the outgoing model always complains about that side of it, but he does flog it all the time...that though is his only complaint, otherwise he absolutely loves the thing Click here to enlarge

He too like most other owners can't understand what all the fuss is about the torque steer issue...according to reviews so far, this new MPS3 is much better off in this regard, so I doubt most end uses would find any complaints...

Lets wait and see how the VW Scirocco R with 200kw and 350nm and FWD compares...it's only a matter of time before other FWD hot hatches etc. are at similar power and torque levels and I doubt they're all going to adopt the 'Revoknuckle' setup Click here to enlarge

I just keep thinking of one of these new MPS3's with a quick remap to 225kw and 440nm, imagine its already impressive in gear acceleration with that little added extra, just take it easy on the corners Click here to enlarge
    If you're not seriously looking, why would you take one for a drive?
    2006 Subaru WRX

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Agree John...

And that's already at 6.1seconds 0-100. With a rear wheel drive setup and same power figures at the rear wheels it'd launch right into the 5 seconds.

This thing would already have quite impressive in gear acceleration as is.Click here to enlarge
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 out of 5 is not a very good overall rating at all.... I don't really think Mazda "get" performance cars. All current ones (MPS6, MPS3, RX8) have all seemed to missed the mark in at least one important area. Even with the MX5 they have been dishing up the same meal for the last 20yrs and have never really ever gave it any serious performance.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge

3 out of 5 is not a very good overall rating at all.... I don't really think Mazda "get" performance cars. All current ones (MPS6, MPS3, RX8) have all seemed to missed the mark in at least one important area. Even with the MX5 they have been dishing up the same meal for the last 20yrs and have never really ever gave it any serious performance.
    where are those ratings from?
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Neeko Click here to enlarge
    where are those ratings from?
    The review above ^^^^
    2006 Subaru WRX

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mizled_SRi-T Click here to enlarge
    If you're not seriously looking, why would you take one for a drive?
    Why not ???

As always, for the simple curiosity and love of cars in general...why not try and test drive all types of cars that 'can be' accessed that are of interest to you if your a car buff ??

You may be in the market for one, you may be comparing or you may just want to try one out...at least then you can make a judgement call or factual opinion on a certain type yourself if it comes up in conversation Click here to enlarge

Remember it's no skin off the dealers noses, that's what they're there for Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information