Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: New MPS 3

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, a bit of a thread revival, because with the onset of hols, i actually got off my bum and went and test drove one like i said i would, followed shortly by driving a my09 wrx. I'll give my impressions of the two, be interesting to see if people agree, but it's all personal opinion, and i was actually quite surprised.
    I haven't driven absolute droves of cars before, so my opinion is predominantly based against my car, and the others i've driven over short periods.

(begin eating of humble pie here)

MPS3: Ok, so the one i drove was the blue colour, had leather, bluetooth, satnav, bose pack etc was the fully specced out model. First impression was, it's really not as ugly in the metal as you'd think from pictures, and it was parked just in front of a blue sp25. The differences in appearance aren't that great, and it could be something that may grow on you, but definitely not a reason to put you off. ( i drive a 5dr AH afterall, clearly looks weren't massively important when i bought the car Click here to enlarge)

So, you step in, and the first thing you notice is the seats are ridiculously comfy, and awesome kidney huggers. These seats were electric, and i found getting into a comfortable position kinda hard, but that's probably just not knowing how to use them, i found my knees hit the bottom of the steering column as i sit quite close as i've got short legs (is the steering wheel height adjustable?). So once you're comfy, you've got the push button start, kinda cool, don't have to take the key out of your pocket, just a novelty i guess. Handbrake is a bit dicky, it's right over next to the passenger, not sure i like it, but not like you use it often anyway.

So i started driving. First thing i noticed is the gearshift is a real gem in the car, with such a short shift, and yet every gear is really easy to find (no accidentally grabbing 5th instead of 3rd etc). The clutch was a bit different to mine, with a really low friction point, but it's something you'd get used to really quickly. The throttle is nice and sensitive, but the brakes felt a bit, slow? they're 320mm on the front and yet the instaneous grab isn't that great, and you have to apply quite a bit of pressure to pull it up, although i was nowhere near the limit. Perhaps easily fixed with some new pads? As for acceleration, i have to say i really liked it. Had the mazda bloke in the car, so couldn't give it a complete hiding, but he encouraged a bit of fun. First thing you notice is the turbo spools up really quickly, and you've got plenty of torque from low down. Matched with the gear ratios, it'd be really easy to drive every day or in stop start traffic. Put your foot down a bit harder and the boost comes in really smoothly, with the overall power effortless. As others have mentioned earlier, it doesn't feel overly quick, but you look at the speedo, and realise it is. The car felt relatively nimble going through the corners at decent speed, but one thing i noticed is the brake sits a long way forward of the throttle, and as such in the short drive i couldn't successfully heal and toe. It might just be getting used to the car and improving my seating position, or you might genuinely have to be hard on the brakes to be able to reach it, i'm unsure.

The test drive was short, only about 15-20 mins, so we headed back to the dealer, i grabbed some info, and drove straight to subaru around the corner to test the wrx.

WRX:
    After filling in the normal paperwork, i jumped in the wrx (black my09 sedan with the leather and sunroof). The whole purpose of this drive was to test it as an individual, and yet i instantly began comparing it to the MPS. Seats aren't as good in the WRX, don't hug you anywhere near as firmly, but the ergonomics just seems a little easier/better. The handbrake is on the drivers side, there's plenty of leg room, and everything's just a little more simple. The pedal travel, placement, and gearshift, all feel a lot more like my cdti, so it was easier to just hop in an drive, but that's just a use thing, i'm sure the MPS becomes the norm after only a short time.

So you start the car, and you've got the typical boxer burble even at idle (sure beats tractor noises). The drive is simple at slow speeds, another car that would be easy for a daily driver. The indicators are a little "clunky" but nothing that really matters. After the first set of traffic lights, the subaru guy tells me i can "give it a bit", so short shifting into first around a corner, and at about 2000rpm i put my foot down. And first impression was...lag. You really do have to wait for the turbo to spool up, but when it does it comes on strong. The power delivery is completely different to anything i've driven before. Understandably if you keep on boost flooring it everywhere, then it's seriously quick, but if you're off boost, or driving a bit for economy then wish to overtake, you really have to make sure you're in the right gear. The drive was really comfortable, the handling was nimble from what i could tell without pushing it too much. Before i knew it, the drive was over, and i was left to think.

The comparison:
    Without testing either of these cars anywhere near their limit, i'd have to say i was really surprised. I'm a little over FWD, but the MPS gives an inclination it's alright to handle it well. The WRX obviously has the AWD advantage, but nothing i did today could really utilise that. The drive i'd have to give in favour of the MPS, just in terms of usability. ie you pull up behind a slow car, and go to overtake without changing gear, or only dropping one cog. The MPS feels like it would take the WRX hands down. it's just such a useable power band, that pulls right the way to redline if you need it. (and it's fun Click here to enlarge)
    I can't really compare handling between the two as i couldn't test it, and you'll notice i've made no real comments on interior fit and finish. This is mainly due to it not being an issue with me, i really don't care about fancy dashes or hard plastics etc, it's more about the driving experience.

Overall as a conclusion (yes, i'll finally stop talking) as i said at the start, i do have to eat a bit of humble pie, as the MPS really is a good bit of kit, although it would take a bit of getting used to, to both drive, and to look at Click here to enlarge
    I expected the WRX to be a far superior car, and it just didn't feel it, it was definitely on par, and definitely a good car, but it wasn't leagues ahead like i thought it might be, instead, i think the MPS won the day by a nose Click here to enlarge.

If you've read everything here, you've done well, and its really shown me that you shouldn't rule out cars based on what you read, instead you've gotta put yourself in the drivers seat and test them for yourselves. My drives were just testing the waters, as i've got my car for another year or so, but when the time comes, i'll definitely be taking both for a drive again, and possibly have one as my next daily.

*breathe* Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by sooty; 7th December 2009 at 06:48 PM.
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it to the end Click here to enlarge. Sounds pretty much like expectations, although I didn't realise that even new WRXs were that laggy. Good read.

Brisbane QLD Drives:'07 Mazda 3 MPS Colour:Aurora Blue
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read it all....and I agree

Although...after owning a 3MPS for nearly 3 years now...

Its not really a car you can just jump in and drive....you really have to learn.

Heel/toe is a little tricky but can be easily mastered once you learn.

I also looked at new WRX...as i wont be buying a new 3MPS...i hate the front end still.

The pricing was a major concern for me.... leather, satnav and sunroof took the price of the WRX over $50K.

You can get leather and satnav as std in the 3MPS for around $45K.

The advances of the new 3MPS have made it more driver friendly around town which is what some ppl wanted...personally i like the animal on the old model.

Clutch is very heavy becoz you have a lot of power going through the gearbox.

The handbrake on the other side is for 2 reasons, 1 its so the handbrake doesnt get in the way of the cupholders like the Gen 1 model and also its becoz it cheaper to leave it on the side that sells more...o/sea models (left hand drive)

Im glad you liked your drive and great article.

AWD isnt everything these days like it used to be...a lot of FWD handle just as well, if not better...advances in technology Click here to enlarge

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Wheels For Awareness
    Supporting The Australian Cancer Research Foundation

Click here to enlarge
    |

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dug74 Click here to enlarge
    The handbrake on the other side is for 2 reasons, 1 its so the handbrake doesnt get in the way of the cupholders like the Gen 1 model and also its becoz it cheaper to leave it on the side that sells more...o/sea models (left hand drive)
    It's bizarre - but it's actually a design decision. Earlier in this million page thread we digged up photos of the LHD models, turns out they have the handbrake on the right. =/

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up Ain, sounds pretty much like how my two test drives ended up.

IMO, if i was getting a new DD, and had to pick. It would be the WRX only because of the AWD. Im just sick of FWD. If you werent worried about FWD the MPS3 makes an excellent DD, has everything for a great price.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Ain... :clap:

Firstly for getting out there and trying a couple of vehicles out (takes some effort and initiative, more people here should do it, instead of writing up opinionated crap without even being up next to a particular vehicle) and secondly on your write up - very neat, accurate, to the point and unbiased... Click here to enlarge

I have nothing more to say or add to your MPS3 comments, as you know I've driven them too and would easily buy one, great car hands down all things considered ! I'm secretly waiting for Mazda Aust. to bring them in - in white, fingers crossed Click here to enlarge

With the WRX I too am surprised to here about the very obvious lag, but thinking of it, it does make sense as the MY09's have switched to the larger turbos of the current Sti's, this must be the reason...

So was this an excercise on finding a replacement now or longer term for the Astra ? can you see yourself going over to a performance petrol vehicle ? Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge

So was this an excercise on finding a replacement now or longer term for the Astra ? can you see yourself going over to a performance petrol vehicle ? Click here to enlarge

Longer term, and yes, my next car will almost certainly be of the performance petrol variety.
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Well done Ain... :clap:

Firstly for getting out there and trying a couple of vehicles out (takes some effort and initiative, more people here should do it, instead of writing up opinionated crap without even being up next to a particular vehicle) and secondly on your write up - very neat, accurate, to the point and unbiased... Click here to enlarge

I have nothing more to say or add to your MPS3 comments, as you know I've driven them too and would easily buy one, great car hands down all things considered ! I'm secretly waiting for Mazda Aust. to bring them in - in white, fingers crossed Click here to enlarge

With the WRX I too am surprised to here about the very obvious lag, but thinking of it, it does make sense as the MY09's have switched to the larger turbos of the current Sti's, this must be the reason...

Well you could always do what a member on our forum did...

Bought a new black 3MPS and did a complete respray Click here to enlarge

BEFORE:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

AFTER:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I know i hate the new 3MPS....but if they had a white one...i would be signing up tomorrow.

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Last edited by dug74; 8th December 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Wheels For Awareness
    Supporting The Australian Cancer Research Foundation

Click here to enlarge
    |

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pics no worky Click here to enlarge nothing there
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge