View Poll Results: What kind of engine oil are you using?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shell

6 4.92%
  • Castrol

41 33.61%
  • Nulon

14 11.48%
  • Mobil

19 15.57%
  • Penrite

19 15.57%
  • Home Brand

0 0%
  • Car manufacturer specific Oil

4 3.28%
  • Other

19 15.57%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    couldn't care less, its what the dealer drops in atm Click here to enlarge
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

I'm new here, please be nice Sully's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my Astra SRI 2002 for two years.
    Am proud to have changed my own oil for the first time last weekend .
    Found that the filter cartridge had been jammed in crookedly
    and the nipple bit had broken off .Would not have been filtering at all.
    I suspect they did not put oil on the o-ring and forced it in.
    It would have been noticeable but was ignored .
    Will be doing my own from now on .
    Using 10-40 .
    Also while under the hood found I have a Zafira chip mod of some sort .
    Catchin up fast !

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use semi synthetic oils, whatever grade the book recommends. change oil every 6 months regardless of km. it is that modern engine oils do not suffer from how many km you drive but rather how long it sits in the engine. Oils start losing their additives through oxidation after 3 months and after 6 months it needs to be replaced if you care about the engine.
    Brands I use are:
    Valvoline
    Penrite
    Castrol
    also, I have used Hi-Tec oils but finding a retailer is sometimes difficult. they mix their own oils in Sydney to the highest standards. a bit cheaper too because they do not have the huge overheads compared to international oil giants.
    I do not use full synthetic oils, I don't see the need or benefit as long as the normal oil is replaced every 6 months.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So going off the results of the poll Castrol seems very popular amongst OA members? Ive also read on here its not that great either.?

Repco have it on special atm and with my car due for a oil change I was considering trying it. Any thoughts on Castrol oil given that this poll is quite old now.

Its for a z20let with 140,000km oild changed every 5000km

***EDIT*****
    Only selected ones are 45% off, 5W40 is probably a bit thin for for my kms I would have thought?
    Last edited by GUN16V; 2nd July 2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Extra info
    03 Astra SRi Turbo.
    SRI-03T...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going shopping for next oil for my Z20LER engine today too, 10-40 Valvoline Durablend it will be. it has 150tkm and will change twice a year.
    Castrol is a good oil, it is what Porsche recommends. I have used Castrol Edge before in other cars but this time i settle for semi synthetic. Some european opel turbo tuners recommend Castrol Edge but remember these guys drive their astras and calibras on Nyrburgring and on autobahns at 250kmh... and change the oils regularly, not at 15,000km which is neglect in my opinion.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My car has just had two lots of Penrite 10-50w full synth through it and it seems ok.
    I have typically always used Penrite or Nulon (only use Nulon if I have to).

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As with all my cars, the Z20LET in the Corsa will be run on Penrite. Used it for years and I'll keep on doing so. As it won't be driven as a daily, I'll keep it at 5000km between oil and filter changes.

As for 15k services being considered neglect, on engines like the Z20LEx, I would agree. In my 2014 Ford Transit however, Ford have specified 15k between services regardless of how quick you rack up the kms. If that's what they say and I comply with that, they can't say I haven't kept up the maintenance and try and void my warranty like Hyundai did with the iLoad.

I believe my dealer uses a Caltex Havoline oil of some variety, I shall ask them Friday when it goes in for it's 30k service.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    As with all my cars, the Z20LET in the Corsa will be run on Penrite. Used it for years and I'll keep on doing so. As it won't be driven as a daily, I'll keep it at 5000km between oil and filter changes.

As for 15k services being considered neglect, on engines like the Z20LEx, I would agree. In my 2014 Ford Transit however, Ford have specified 15k between services regardless of how quick you rack up the kms. If that's what they say and I comply with that, they can't say I haven't kept up the maintenance and try and void my warranty like Hyundai did with the iLoad.

I believe my dealer uses a Caltex Havoline oil of some variety, I shall ask them Friday when it goes in for it's 30k service.
    It's funny how my manual recommends a service every 15k for my SRiT... I do mine every 10k with Penrite 10w-50 full synthetic as I said above, only because I do about 600-1000 klms a week otherwise it would be 5k.
    Last edited by ConZo; 23rd January 2015 at 05:21 PM.
    2004 Arden Blue TS Astri SRi Turbo

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ConZo Click here to enlarge
    It's funny how my manual recommends a service every 15k for my SRiT... I do mine every 10k with Penrite 10w-50 full synthetic as I said above, only because I do about 600-1000 klms a week otherwise it would be 5k.
    At the end of the day, I look at the fact it's a turbocharged petrol engine, so naturally service intervals should be 10k or less. If anything, I'd likely drive it maybe 200-250kms per week, so I figure 5k servicing will be optimal. That, and those kms would probably be some hard boosting kms, lol.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im doing 450-500km a week and still drop it every 5000km. Its barely dirty by the time i drop it.
    03 Astra SRi Turbo.
    SRI-03T...

Thread Information