View Poll Results: What kind of engine oil are you using?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shell

6 4.92%
  • Castrol

41 33.61%
  • Nulon

14 11.48%
  • Mobil

19 15.57%
  • Penrite

19 15.57%
  • Home Brand

0 0%
  • Car manufacturer specific Oil

4 3.28%
  • Other

19 15.57%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Corsa Z20LET is the same with the gearbox oil drain. Only thing is battery isn't in the engine bay.

Penrite Pro Gear comes in a 2.5 Litre bottle conveniently enough.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    The f23 is a pig to do. Iv done mine twice...

Jack up car and take passenger wheel off
    Cut a piece off an 8mm allen key (1cm)
    Use the allen key piece with an 8mm spanner and the plug is actually on the bottom/side of the gearbox behind the subframe. Its a c*nt to get to though.

Refilling, (refit bottom drain plug)
    Remove battery and tray
    Towards the back of the engine, theres another plug on top of the gearbox (back left of gearbox towards the engine)
    Undo it and refill with 2.4-2.5l of fluid.
    I'm pretty sure the F23 gearbox only needs 1.75 liters, it's the M32 that needs 2.4 liters. At least that's what my service manual specifies. Although I have seen guys overfill once they have a breather kit installed to stop spills on the track.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Raisin Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure the F23 gearbox only needs 1.75 liters, it's the M32 that needs 2.4 liters. At least that's what my service manual specifies. Although I have seen guys overfill once they have a breather kit installed to stop spills on the track.
    Initially the F23 was filled with 1.75l, but the TIS even states to refill it with 2.4l.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Initially the F23 was filled with 1.75l, but the TIS even states to refill it with 2.4l.
    So why the change down the line then? Only things I've been able to find on overfilling was as a field remedy for noises from the box. Both my service manuals specify 1.75 liters filling quantity for the F23. And on the electronic one, none of the bulletins indicate a change for the F23.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Raisin Click here to enlarge
    So why the change down the line then? Only things I've been able to find on overfilling was as a field remedy for noises from the box. Both my service manuals specify 1.75 liters filling quantity for the F23. And on the electronic one, none of the bulletins indicate a change for the F23.
    Yep, TIS states a field remedy for noisy F23 gearboxes by filling it up to 2.35 litres. If your car has been subject to this remedy, your gearbox oil filler bolt is supposed to be marked yellow. Having said that, I would assume that this being issued as a field remedy would make it peace of mind to fill up the gearbox with the full 2.35 litre capacity, so even if your gearbox isn't noisy, it'll be at least on the safe side of things.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Yep, TIS states a field remedy for noisy F23 gearboxes by filling it up to 2.35 litres. If your car has been subject to this remedy, your gearbox oil filler bolt is supposed to be marked yellow. Having said that, I would assume that this being issued as a field remedy would make it peace of mind to fill up the gearbox with the full 2.35 litre capacity, so even if your gearbox isn't noisy, it'll be at least on the safe side of things.
    Gotcha, that is what I had read too. Mine doesn't have a yellow marking, but that doesn't surprise me with this car.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    The f23 is a pig to do. Iv done mine twice...

Jack up car and take passenger wheel off
    Cut a piece off an 8mm allen key (1cm)
    Use the allen key piece with an 8mm spanner and the plug is actually on the bottom/side of the gearbox behind the subframe. Its a c*nt to get to though.

Refilling, (refit bottom drain plug)
    Remove battery and tray
    Towards the back of the engine, theres another plug on top of the gearbox (back left of gearbox towards the engine)
    Undo it and refill with 2.4-2.5l of fluid.
    Sounds fairly simple in a ****about kind of way lol!
    So 2.4-2.5 is that all? Is there a dipstick that should be checked? Sorry I've never touched a gearbox before.
    2004 Arden Blue TS Astri SRi Turbo

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After further research it seems that full synthetic oil is a very broad category involving a variety of manufacturing processes, blends and additives. Oil companies use the classification of full synthetic as a sales pitch. It seems we have to do a bit more homework to select the best oil...l am going to try Mobil 1 0W40 next time, but l am still unsure about the composition of this oil. There is a claim that it is often an automotive factory installed oil, perhaps there is something in that at least.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ConZo Click here to enlarge
    Sounds fairly simple in a ****about kind of way lol!
    So 2.4-2.5 is that all? Is there a dipstick that should be checked? Sorry I've never touched a gearbox before.
    No dipstick, just make sure you let it drain properly for a little while, there is another plug at the back of the gearbox (between gbox and firewall) if you really want to check level, a few people do it and stop once it starts to trickle out of that hole, but iv always just put a full 2.5l bottle in and had no dramas at all
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ulx 110 custom blend

Thread Information