Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holden Astra J VXR OR. 2016 Subaru WRX

Hi Guys,

Im currently in a bit of a mixed boat when it comes to deciding my next car. I have gone away from buying second hand cars as i have had a pretty bad experience in the past. So I'm going brand NEW!

I have driven both the 2016 Holden Astra J VXR and the 2016 Subaru WRX. The problem is, I like both. The WRX is considerably easier to get aftermarket performance parts for locally. COBB performance has announced that the Acessport 3 will be supporting the Australian Market, including support for flex fuel in the near future. (Something that i want to get involved with).

The VXR is an absolute pocket rocket, and unique with its 2 door configuration as well as Sport/VXR driving modes.. And those seats are amazing. From speaking to a few people here parts are available from overseas, the downside is that Currency Conversion is a killer. Im unsure of tunes and support/availability for Flex Fuel for this vehicle. From the information i have found searching, appears that the VXR shares the same ECU as 200-2015 Commodores which supported flex fuel.

Is there anyone on here who has driven both of these cars and have their own opinion? Im not making my final decision from this post, but just some ideas from other people would be greatly appreciated!

DC
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've driven the decades older versions (2003 Astra Turbo, 2003 WRX) and it's pretty safe to say: "they're totally different cars".

It's hard to compare the two really because they're just... totally different. They're built for different things, they have totally different pros and cons and in their different contexts one pro can be a con for another.

I mean yes on paper you've mentioned the WRX is supported way, way better here in terms of mods and people's general ability with them.

Otherwise WRX is AWD which is great for getting the power down/general handling buuuuut you also chew through a lot more fuel. Boxers generally aren't as efficient though so the Astra will win there.

WRX is 4-doors, Astra is 2-door. Practicality for a family the WRX wins, but if you're after a city run about car the smaller Astra would obviously be better.

In terms of power I'm going to guess the WRX would win and I'm sure you could eek a fair bit more out of it than the VXR, definitely more kw/$ I'd imagine.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is they're entirely different cars so it's hard to 'compare'.

Cheers

M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike. Yeah i know that they are suited to different markets. They are both awesome cars in their own way. Thats what makes it hard to decide between the two of them. In the end, I'm not driving a family around. So two or four doors isn't a bother for me. Im not exactly going to go stupid on performance with either car, but in saying that. Knowing that i have the aftermarket support in the performance department is nice. The use for this car will be the daily commute to and from work and weekend spirited driving and track use from time to time. So in reality it docent pay to have a 'massive' turbo or heavy clutch (Had a skyline with a big turbo and button clutch, horrible around town to drive and no power in the lower engine RPM's).

Obviously, i would be doing basic modifications over time (including, exhaust, intake, intercooler and tuning). Best bang for buck modification for most performance cars these days is the ability to use flex fuel when set up for it. I know that its very easy on the WRX as the aftermarket support is there for it, including readily available kits and off the shelf plug and play tunes. Im still wanting to find out if i can get it on a VXR easily. I don't see why not though. The pros of using the fuel in a track environment are excellent, providing engine protection from detonation and cooling the combustion chamber.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MikeCheck Click here to enlarge
    I've driven the decades older versions (2003 Astra Turbo, 2003 WRX) and it's pretty safe to say: "they're totally different cars".

It's hard to compare the two really because they're just... totally different. They're built for different things, they have totally different pros and cons and in their different contexts one pro can be a con for another.

I mean yes on paper you've mentioned the WRX is supported way, way better here in terms of mods and people's general ability with them.

Otherwise WRX is AWD which is great for getting the power down/general handling buuuuut you also chew through a lot more fuel. Boxers generally aren't as efficient though so the Astra will win there.

WRX is 4-doors, Astra is 2-door. Practicality for a family the WRX wins, but if you're after a city run about car the smaller Astra would obviously be better.

In terms of power I'm going to guess the WRX would win and I'm sure you could eek a fair bit more out of it than the VXR, definitely more kw/$ I'd imagine.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is they're entirely different cars so it's hard to 'compare'.

Cheers

M

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They do share the same ecu as the new model commodores and as such can be adapted to flex fuel. Given they are the same ecu also means that pretty where anywhere in Australia will be able to tune them.
    Personally if the looks don't get you into the Astra the seats are what would seal it for me. The Astra is just such a nice place to sit and enjoy the drive and in terms of performance and fun the front diff is confidence inspiring and from what I have driven in one does have an awd feel.
    The wrx is a nice car but the issue with it for me is they are everywhere. In Adelaide at least. The Astra is different and turns heads

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the words faneca. Good to find out details before i commit to spending money. Yeah, its very much a case of WRX are everywhere here in Queensland. In saying that, its a great car with lots of aftermarket support. The price difference between the Astra and the WRX is very attractive though. If i do lean towards the WRX, i would only be getting a premium model, I'm a sucker for leather interior. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by faneca Click here to enlarge
    They do share the same ecu as the new model commodores and as such can be adapted to flex fuel. Given they are the same ecu also means that pretty where anywhere in Australia will be able to tune them.
    Personally if the looks don't get you into the Astra the seats are what would seal it for me. The Astra is just such a nice place to sit and enjoy the drive and in terms of performance and fun the front diff is confidence inspiring and from what I have driven in one does have an awd feel.
    The wrx is a nice car but the issue with it for me is they are everywhere. In Adelaide at least. The Astra is different and turns heads

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your willing to pay 50 grand on road for a new wrx premium Why not save the future mod money and buy a focus rs mid 2016 No mods needed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mods are always needed! Put your own touches on to make it your own. Besides, the RS is $55K.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Silver Surfer Click here to enlarge
    If your willing to pay 50 grand on road for a new wrx premium Why not save the future mod money and buy a focus rs mid 2016 No mods needed

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think you will find its 50,990 + on roads Sounds like you have already made up your mind Buy the rex and enjoy your modding!

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Glad someone brought up the RS before me. Pick of the bunch by far

Sent from my Nintendo 64
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And yes, 50,990 before orc. So around $55k

Sent from my Nintendo 64
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information