Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AH08 Click here to enlarge
    I think they ate the mushies while dreaming up what to do next. The show has lost its way and gone to shit. The show is now B O R I N G dribble so I wont bother to watch from now on, but that's just my opinion. If you like it, continue to watch it.
    Sorry mate but if I hate one thing it's run-on sentences.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AH08 Click here to enlarge
    I think they ate the mushies while dreaming up what to do next. The show has lost its way and gone to shit. The show is now B O R E I N G dribble so I wont bother to watch from now on, but that's just my opinion, if you like it, continue to watch it.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jerram Click here to enlarge
    Sorry mate but if I hate one thing it's run-on sentences.
    Actually Jerram it isn't...There are actually full stops & comma's in the sentence, and adequate spacing...So, your point is?????
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    Actually Jerram it isn't...There are actually full stops & comma's in the sentence, and adequate spacing...So, your point is?????
    He needs thicker glasses!Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    Actually Jerram it isn't...There are actually full stops & commas (no apostrophe necessary for plurals) in the sentence, and adequate spacing...So, your point is?????
    You shouldn't put too many statements in a single sentence. When you tack on extra ideas to an existing conflict/resolution style sentence it becomes a run on.

So in the example above;

The show is now boring dribble etc. is the "conflict"
    I won't bother to watch it etc. is the "resolution"
    and there is a permissible qualifier in but that's just my opinion

There could be a case for adding a semicolon after that's just my opinion, but in my belief the reader should be taking a sentence pause there. In any case, he changes ideas from talking about himself to making a suggestion to the reader. A full stop helps to separate these ideas.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as long as there are fewer than 8 seperate ideas seperated by commas, the sentence is still classfied as legibile by definitionClick here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    top gear is cool Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jerram Click here to enlarge
    You shouldn't put too many statements in a single sentence. When you tack on extra ideas to an existing conflict/resolution style sentence it becomes a run on.

So in the example above;

The show is now boring dribble etc. is the "conflict"
    I won't bother to watch it etc. is the "resolution"
    and there is a permissible qualifier in but that's just my opinion

There could be a case for adding a semicolon after that's just my opinion, but in my belief the reader should be taking a sentence pause there. In any case, he changes ideas from talking about himself to making a suggestion to the reader. A full stop helps to separate these ideas.
    OK Jerram here goes...

This is a forum not an English class. I understand that you may wish to educate fellow users or express your own opinions, wants, desires and idiosyncrasies for the use and perfection of punctuation within the written English language. However it’s probably not required to attempt to correct others.

I also fully understand the use of commas (edited after my word check added for me) for plurals or to define ownership, however I am not inclined at this juncture to go back and re-edit what my corporations spell check may inadvertently and incorrectly insert in to my own sentences. I have most likely been drafting legal and other documentation longer than you have been out of training pants.

Whilst indeed there may be a case for the addition of a semicolon and to a lesser extend a full stop after the expression of a concept as described, however I stand by my previous statement. There is more than adequate punctuation in the original sentence. It does not run on endlessly without spaces, commas, semicolons or full stops. It is therefore by definition not a “run on sentence” as you described. Furthermore it is inconsequential if it is one of your pet hates.

Others use accepted abbreviations such as WTF, IMHO, ROFL etc. More so, users continually use “slang” or accepted usage spelling of words such as “sik”

So I ask again…. What exactly is your point??

As I to understand the argument put forth by you the above represents my conflict.

Below is my resolution...

If you are unable to process the concepts that are being presented to you in a sentence as they are not structured to your liking or there are to many presented to you at once, may I suggest reading them slowing or perhaps writing them down....

My opinion I will keep to myself...

EDITED:

However, for future reference, further SPAM, unwarranted, unsolicited, meaningless and trolling-like attempts at correcting others for whatever reason will be dealt with accordingly....
    Last edited by gman; 29th July 2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vote 1 - post of the year!
    :: OpelAus Senior Moderator ::
    :: OLD: 2000 Opel Corsa B 1.4 - Old info here - 48.7kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Corsa C SRi - Old info here - 84.8kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Astra SRiT - 182.3kw atw
    :: Daily: 2001 E46 BMW 325Ci Coupe – 2.5L 5spd Manual
    :: Project: 1983 AE71 Toyota Corolla CS-X - not sure what to do yet... ::

www.pauljakubicki.com
    facebook.com/PaulJakubickiPhotography
    Event Photographer/Writer for SpeedNation.com.au

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh well if you want the last word - take it.

you will notice however that, unlike yourself, I am in no way wishing to upset or inflame anyone (do I use any personal attacks?) I believe I am well within my rights to inform one of given practice, especially within a thread of my own creation. I also believe I am entitled to justify without malice any claims that I make and my additions to this thread have been entirely within that nature.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jerram, you try to make it your right to correct people in threads other than your own.
    Shut up and deal with it. Everybody writes differently, whether it is written grammatically or not.
    :: OpelAus Senior Moderator ::
    :: OLD: 2000 Opel Corsa B 1.4 - Old info here - 48.7kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Corsa C SRi - Old info here - 84.8kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Astra SRiT - 182.3kw atw
    :: Daily: 2001 E46 BMW 325Ci Coupe – 2.5L 5spd Manual
    :: Project: 1983 AE71 Toyota Corolla CS-X - not sure what to do yet... ::

www.pauljakubicki.com
    facebook.com/PaulJakubickiPhotography
    Event Photographer/Writer for SpeedNation.com.au

Thread Information