Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so if I can't suggest to someone my opinion, why should anyone else be able to suggest theirs, especially given the nature of my "thread that started it all" verses some of the language people have been using at me?

Furthermore this is certainly not the first time that people have suggested other members utilize good grammar when posting, nor will it be the last. It is hardly "trolling", because trolling is carried out with the sole purpose of inflaming another, and that was not at all my intention.

oh by the way if you're spectating this I hope you're having fun.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our suggestions aren't baseless
    :: OpelAus Senior Moderator ::
    :: OLD: 2000 Opel Corsa B 1.4 - Old info here - 48.7kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Corsa C SRi - Old info here - 84.8kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Astra SRiT - 182.3kw atw
    :: Daily: 2001 E46 BMW 325Ci Coupe – 2.5L 5spd Manual
    :: Project: 1983 AE71 Toyota Corolla CS-X - not sure what to do yet... ::

www.pauljakubicki.com
    facebook.com/PaulJakubickiPhotography
    Event Photographer/Writer for SpeedNation.com.au

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so do you believe that mine was?

do you think I wrote that for the fun of it? Posting for the sake of posting? If one stumbles is it not my duty to help him?
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You really make me laugh
    No-one was 'stumbling', as proven quite eloquently by a highly educated member of this forum.
    :: OpelAus Senior Moderator ::
    :: OLD: 2000 Opel Corsa B 1.4 - Old info here - 48.7kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Corsa C SRi - Old info here - 84.8kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Astra SRiT - 182.3kw atw
    :: Daily: 2001 E46 BMW 325Ci Coupe – 2.5L 5spd Manual
    :: Project: 1983 AE71 Toyota Corolla CS-X - not sure what to do yet... ::

www.pauljakubicki.com
    facebook.com/PaulJakubickiPhotography
    Event Photographer/Writer for SpeedNation.com.au

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PaulyJ Click here to enlarge
    You really make me laugh
    I tend to have that effect. Let's not forget that my car has, of all things, a hood ornament.

In any case the sentence is technically considered a "multiple comma splice" which can be seen as a run-on. Look at Wikipedia if you want.

Even if I was incorrect, the fact that I believed I was correct means that I could not have been "trolling" or "spamming" thus any judgments made hastily with that belief in mind are ill-considered.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jerram Click here to enlarge
    heh well if you want the last word - take it.

you will notice however that, unlike yourself, I am in no way wishing to upset or inflame anyone (do I use any personal attacks?) I believe I am well within my rights to inform one of given practice, especially within a thread of my own creation. I also believe I am entitled to justify without malice any claims that I make and my additions to this thread have been entirely within that nature.
    I was in no way having the last word as the thread was left open, as evidenced by your continued ability to post within the open thread...

Furthermore, I will not be drawn into a debate as to your beliefs as to what constitutes your "rights" and what you feel is "given practice". I disagree as do others. As for the personal attacks, thinly veiled passive aggressive comments still constitute the same by their very nature.

In addition I might point out that whether you start a thread or not, you do not own it, aside from those that are in specific sections. this is a General Discussion. As such, others are free to post related comments and opinions. Yours were not. Its really that simple.

so if I can't suggest to someone my opinion, why should anyone else be able to suggest theirs, especially given the nature of my "thread that started it all" verses some of the language people have been using at me?

Furthermore this is certainly not the first time that people have suggested other members utilize good grammar when posting, nor will it be the last. It is hardly "trolling", because trolling is carried out with the sole purpose of inflaming another, and that was not at all my intention.

oh by the way if you're spectating this I hope you're having fun.
    Yes, of course you can state your opinions as everyone’s opinion is valued equally.

However, this is not a classroom, a grammar forum nor a roundtable discussion on the finer points of English language punctuation. I am yet to see you, through repetition or course of action, consistently correct others that have failed to correctly punctuate their posts on OA. The thread title is not English Grammar 101 as you well know, as pointed out you started it.

There is certainly at times calls for improved grammar, however the finer points of English that you are espousing here unwarranted and furthermore unnecessary. Conscience or not, it feels for all the world like “trolling” for conflict or posting SPAM to the same end in this situation for personal gratification or other self interest. As you said it was a “one of those things you hate” that drove your initial post.

Once again, a passive aggressive post that reads as a veiled threat is still by its very nature the same. That's two (2)..

so do you believe that mine was?

do you think I wrote that for the fun of it? Posting for the sake of posting? If one stumbles is it not my duty to help him?
    Ok Jerram last time...

Yes, as previously stated. Please do not hide behind the mantle of an attempt to help another member’s ability punctuate their own sentences’ now this has progressed. On a car forum an opinion (in this instance your own) in the form of an English lesson on how to avoid one of your own "pet hates" (my term) in the form of a run on sentence is unwarranted SPAM and trolling for conflict.

I tend to have that effect. Let's not forget that my car has, of all things, a hood ornament.

In any case the sentence is technically considered a "multiple comma splice" which can be seen as a run-on. Look at Wikipedia if you want.

Even if I was incorrect, the fact that I believed I was correct means that I could not have been "trolling" or "spamming" thus any judgments made hastily with that belief in mind are ill-considered.

If you are relying on Wikipedia for English grammar guidance I now have a greater understanding of the issue at hand. Whilst multiple concepts were introduced, they are done so in the correct manner despite your personal hatred for sentences with multiple concepts contained within.

Whilst not wishing to further introduce complex concepts into an otherwise fruitless debate, your comments were indeed incorrect. However a review post-event does not remove the intention, perceived or otherwise viewed as intentional, behind your initial comments. A such, any judgments made were neither ill-conceived, poorly founded and were indeed well though out and subject to subjective and serious scrutiny.

That's three (3) and counting Jerram...

However, earlier comments stand...

Trolling and SPAM for personal gratification, conflict et al will not be tolerated...
    Last edited by gman; 29th July 2009 at 07:18 PM.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly I am hardly relying on Wikipedia, it is just a general reference that is acceptable to a suitable level.

Also if I was going to "troll for conflict" why would I start my post by saying "sorry." I don't know what you think my agenda is, but what it is not is causing trouble. Furthermore I do not appreciate accusations that I am trying to "thinly veil attacks". Other then this I will not pass judgment on your actions and will only state that there is an obvious conflict of opinion.

Look I'm going to keep defending myself as is my right so you might as well lock or delete this thread. In any case I think it's served it's purpose of ascertaining that last Sunday's Top Gear episode was not as bad as I believed.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly I am hardly relying on Wikipedia, it is just a general reference that is acceptable to a suitable level.

Also if I was going to "troll for conflict" why would I start my post by saying "sorry." I don't know what you think my agenda is, but what it is not is causing trouble. Furthermore I do not appreciate accusations that I am trying to "thinly veil attacks". Other then this I will not pass judgment on your actions and will only state that there is an obvious conflict of opinion.

Look I'm going to keep defending myself as is my right so you might as well lock or delete this thread. In any case I think it's served it's purpose of ascertaining that last Sunday's Top Gear episode was not as bad as I believed.
    People repeatedly undertaking what is essentially trolling, whether intentional or not is by its nature the same. Starting with "sorry" does not absolve you of responsibility the same as saying "sorry" right before pointing a gun at someone and shooting does not remove the intention behind it. That is a very weak reliance on a soft defence.

As for your agenda I do not know nor is it my business. I simply request that people respect the forum and its rules, not instigate or insight others by your beligerence.

As to my comments on "thinly veiled attacks", they are seen for what they are, passive aggressive or not, unintentional or not they are what they are.

This has served its purpose. No more need be said.

As such, thread closed
    Last edited by gman; 29th July 2009 at 08:00 PM.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Thread Information