Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Felipe Massa Crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8168807.stm

Ferrari driver Felipe Massa will be kept under sedation for 48 hours after he suffered a fractured skull during Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

The Brazilian hit a tyre wall after a spring from Rubens Barrichello's car flew up and hit his helmet.

Massa was woken on Sunday for a brain scan that produced reassuring results.

"It brought the result that we had expected concerning an injury of this type," said doctor in chief Peter Bazso at Budapest's AEK military hospital.

Massa's father, mother and pregnant wife have flown in to Hungary from Brazil, and the doctor added that the driver remained in intensive care and in an "acute phase" of treatment.

Massa's engineer reflects on crash (UK only)
    Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The situation is stable and positive but we need to stay calm and give the right time for his body to respond to the situation."

Massa's race engineer Rob Smedley told BBC Sport: "There is hope now which at one point (on Saturday) there wasn't. His injuries seem to be not as bad as we first thought.

"I don't even want to think about F1 at the moment - Felipe is a mate, he is like a little brother to me. I just want to think about him getting better and being back with his family.

"He is still in intensive care and we are all just waiting for news hour by hour. We don't know how long he will be kept in there - it could be days, it could be weeks."

An earlier Ferrari statement said: "After undergoing an operation yesterday afternoon, Felipe Massa's condition remains stable and there were no further complications through the night."

A statement from the hospital on Saturday said: "At the time he was admitted to hospital his condition was stable and he was breathing and blood circulation was normal.

"During the course of his examination they established that he suffered serious, life-threatening injuries including loss of consciousness and a fracture of the forehead on the left side and a fracture on the base of the skull.

"After the operation he is being cared for in intensive care and now he is in stable, satisfactory condition."

I honestly don't believe in coincidences in life. Things happen for a reason and I think this is the second message

Rubens Barrichello
    Barrichello said on his Twitter feed that he had visited his compatriot Massa in hospital and the surgery "went very well".

The incident comes days after Formula Two driver Henry Surtees, 18, was killed in what was described as a "freak" accident during a race at Brands Hatch.

The son of motorsport legend John Surtees was struck by a wheel which flew off a competitor's car.

After being struck on the head, Massa's feet are believed to have come to rest on both the throttle and brake and his car ploughed head on into a tyre wall at around 125mph.

The 28-year-old was swiftly attended to by trackside medics before being taken to the circuit's medical centre, after which he was airlifted to hospital.

Barrichello later led the calls for more stringent safety measures to be looked into. Referring to Surtees, the veteran Brazilian refused to believe the two incidents were coincidental.

"I honestly don't believe in coincidences in life," he said. "Things happen for a reason and I think this is the second message.

Something broke on my car - Barrichello
    "Imola [where Ayrton Senna died in 1994] was a message and the cars were improved. Unfortunately, we lost a boy [Surtees], which is tremendously sad.

"It is not a coincidence something happened right now. In the GPDA (Grand Prix Drivers' Association) we talked quite a lot about it yesterday - and something needs to be done. Absolutely.

"But I don't know what. We need to sit down and have a look at it. I think the cars are a hell of a lot safer, really a lot safer, but there is no coincidence on this and something needs to be looked at."

Lewis Hamilton described the crash as "very scary" and said it must be looked into, while Jenson Button said it proved there "is still more we need to do on safety".

Button and Barrichello's team boss Ross Brawn said the team were "naturally concerned" about Massa's condition.

"We had a problem with the back of the car and we are still investigating," he added.

606: MASSA TRIBUTES
    Thank goodness Massa, having made it through the night, looks like he his winning

The Legend that is PhilSlocombe
    "We haven't had the piece back from [motorsport governing body] the FIA yet so once we get it back we can understand what occurred.

"It's the first time we've really had a problem with the car as it has been so reliable."

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh added: "What happened today was a shock.

"We've got to make sure we do everything we can to make F1 as safe as it can be.

"But a spring coming off and being in a collision four seconds later is an incredible circumstance and coincidence.

"You have to remember that motor racing is dangerous and that racing drivers are incredibly brave. It's all too easy to become blase about that."
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    NOTICE: This video is hosted at YouTube.com . If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    twice in 6 days. the gods arent liking motorsport at the moment
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    its such a freak accident

no 1 knew what was happening for ages.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2002_XC Click here to enlarge
    starfish bed hog Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ws watching the qualifying and from the incar footage, you could see it wasn;t going to be good. The spring got him right in the top of the helmet and he was out cold...

I can;t believe it actually went through the helmet and didn;t glance off...Such a freak thing...I hope he's OK...
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG wow, very very very unlucky. I guess it could have been alot worse thou. Hopefully he has a full recovery and is out racing again in no time.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah watching this on Saturday night was crazy. I'm thinking oh unlucky, some sort of failure with a stuck throttle and then when they went further back up the straight to see where the accident began, couldn't believe it. Amazing how that part was bouncing down the track that long after the Brawn car went through.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very unlucky Click here to enlarge
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    I ws watching the qualifying and from the incar footage, you could see it wasn;t going to be good. The spring got him right in the top of the helmet and he was out cold...

I can;t believe it actually went through the helmet and didn;t glance off...Such a freak thing...I hope he's OK...
    Ayerton Senna was killed in an almost identical manner...remember that one...

Very unlucky.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing that one too....Senna's was similar, but he was struck by the wheel off his own car after he crashed but yeah I know what you mean...

Barrichello went through 4 seconds ahead of Massa and he came through and he was hit by the debris...

Apparently the telemetry from Massa's car shows that at the moment of impact with the spring, his whole car slowed by 1G from the impact!!!! So imagine the impact force his helmet and head took!!!! He is lucky it was relatively straight on unlike Senna's which was a sideways impact and caused a basal skull fracture killing him...The impact witht the tyres afterwards was nothing unusual according to the telemetery.

One thing they are worried about is that Massa did try to brake (you can see the front wheels locking as he goes across the track) but still had his fool on the accelerator and didn;t take it off even though he was obviously trying to stop. They are hoping this isn't a sign of a serious brain injury (right foot controlled by left hemisphere where he was hit) and it was just that both feet slumped on both pedals....

But an 800gr spring doing 200+kph...he's very lucky to still be alive...Imagine if it hit the visor and not the actual helmet....
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Thread Information