Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coilovers vs separates

..wanting to sort out the suspension on the sri-t.

Already have eibach pro springs. The rear sits at a perfect height, but the front is still too high. Thinking of going to sportlines once the wheels arrive..but that will entirely depend if the wheels look like they'll scrape or not (225/18/40)

For shocks, been quoted around 1000-1200 for bilstein/konis alone.

A full set of Spax RSX coilovers can be shipped for just under $1100.. these have adjustable height and adjustable damping, which will allow fine tuning.

Anyone have any experience with coilovers? The main problem I guess would be having to replace the entire unit if it starts leaking.

Alternatively, i can keep the eibach pro's on the rear, and throw some konis on, and try and get coilovers only for the front, and adjust them for height and stiffness to suit the new wheels.

Ideas or opinions? Most of the guys on VON/AOC are running the cheaper raceland c/overs without any probs, a friend with a golf GTi has spax psx and say's they're pretty good but a bit hard for daily driving.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ive got Raceland Coilovers waiting to be fitted to the car, not too many problems with them and they were bloody cheap aswell.
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge
    ..wanting to sort out the suspension on the sri-t.

Already have eibach pro springs. The rear sits at a perfect height, but the front is still too high. Thinking of going to sportlines once the wheels arrive..but that will entirely depend if the wheels look like they'll scrape or not (225/18/40)

For shocks, been quoted around 1000-1200 for bilstein/konis alone.

A full set of Spax RSX coilovers can be shipped for just under $1100.. these have adjustable height and adjustable damping, which will allow fine tuning.

Anyone have any experience with coilovers? The main problem I guess would be having to replace the entire unit if it starts leaking.

Alternatively, i can keep the eibach pro's on the rear, and throw some konis on, and try and get coilovers only for the front, and adjust them for height and stiffness to suit the new wheels.

Ideas or opinions? Most of the guys on VON/AOC are running the cheaper raceland c/overs without any probs, a friend with a golf GTi has spax psx and say's they're pretty good but a bit hard for daily driving.
    Obviously for you wanting some adjustability with ride height and being able to get adjustable coil overs for a similar price to sport springs and dampers and if that's your budget - go for it...hopefully someone else who's used the same brand can give you a heads up on whether or not they're any good...

Just be aware though that name brand or very high quality coil overs are not cheap...

At least the spring and shock combination you have or wanting to get (ie. with the shocks) are already top shelf stuff with Eibach and Koni or Bilstein...coil overs of those brands will cost alot more than $1,100 for a full set...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got H&R coilovers. Very well made and great handling.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have Bilstein PSS14 coilovers in mine...I love'em but as Wraith said they ain't cheap...

Coilovers are great for getting handling and height adjustment perfect...You just need to get them set up right to start off with..They also should be checked periodically to make sure the springs and platforms are in good condition...

My personal opinion is that you only go to them if you really need to...Standard shock/spring setups are good for 99% of uses...The Eibach spring/Bilstein-Koni shock setup your talking about ending up with will likely handle better than a cheaper or same price coilover...But if you really can;t get the heights right, you might not have any option. Only advice I can give is get the best you can afford from a known brand...
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..thanks guys... personally i'd like to stick with eibach sportlines/konis, but the front drop of 50mm imo is a bit much for daily ride.

40mm drop at the front would be ideal.

4WD's use spacers under the springs to rasie the ride height, they come in either solid or rubber, at varying thicknesses... could probably find some to suit the front shocks and lift it up 10mm.

Wonder about the legality of them in this application though?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hang on..

first you said you wanted it lower, then 50mm is too much???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep.. i have the 30/30 eibach pro's on the car. After settling the rear has come down a little, but the front has remained at the same height as the original springs.

My last astra was dropped 50mm and scraped even leaving the driveway.. and on nearly every speedhump at work Click here to enlarge

I found this & will see if they have anything to suit.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    50/30 will only be another 20mm at the front
    if its still the same as stock height with 30/30 , it'll be spot on with those
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2002_XC Click here to enlarge
    starfish bed hog Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine spacers being good for the ride or handling.

so if you use say the shorter 50mm drop spring, you have much less suspension travel than stock, then you add a spacer with will reduce suspension travel again!

I had 2 sets of springs on my astra turbo... the first was too low (40mm drop) but looked good.. didn't help ride or handling, not to mention the scraping.

Currently have Eibachs sportlines on, prob a 20mm drop from stock, but ride is similar to stock but handles better.

Thread Information