Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECU Problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry ECU Problems

so lets start this off I have a Astra COnvertible 04 model manual z22se,

My battery ran out, so i decided ill get a new one, bought it and changed the battery, after i changed the battery, the car wouldnt turn on, F***!

i noticed the little orange car with spanner through it was flashing, so knew its ecu. i decided to get a mechanic come have a look he had a look and saw that injectors, throttle body, spark plugs battery everything is fine. and tonight i checked the fuel pump and that was cool too.

now the mechanic said that the ecu is ****ed up somehow when i changed the battery and its not injecting fuel to the engine or something like that. so i decided to take the ecu out and hopefully this is where someone can help me.

firstly and this is embarrasing lol, where is the ECU? i thought it would be in the boot but im wrong as usual.

also after taking it out i want to get it flashed or remapped. and if that doesnt work then replaced.

please any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Ecotec Duratec just kicked in YO!

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You will find the ecu is in the engine bay.
    It is located to the left of the throttle body. If you look in Brads(daiflu) thread you will see a picture of it.

Edit: http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=258
    The ecu is the thing with all those wires hanging out of it.
    Last edited by guy 27; 23rd July 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added link
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    You will find the ecu is in the engine bay.
    It is located to the left of the throttle body. If you look in Brads(daiflu) thread you will see a picture of it.

Edit: http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=258
    The ecu is the thing with all those wires hanging out of it.

AWESOME!!!

thank you so much!!

now for the flashing/replace

who/where is recommended in sydney?

thanks so much again mate

OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..will it allow the codes to be checked? Ecu wouldn't malfunction simply because of a battery change.

Check if the fuel pump relay is clicking on when turning the ignition key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge
    ..will it allow the codes to be checked? Ecu wouldn't malfunction simply because of a battery change.

Check if the fuel pump relay is clicking on when turning the ignition key.

fuel pump sounds fine when the ignition is ticking, the mechanic that came and saw it checked the fuel system and also the intake.

It beats me ..... i did the paper clip test but nothing, maybe because the car wont start up. ....

Ill be taking out the ECU tonight and hoping to take it somewhere tomorrow. Any reccomendations?

OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    checked all the fuses, both in engine bay and behind the glove compartment?

Is the battery charged? Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the dash lights come on when you turn the key?? Does the engine turn over??

It could be the ECU and the security module have stopped talking. Get the fault codes read "FIRST" before you change the ECU module over as the are very expensive....Around $1200 from Holden...

Easiest way is to get an OBD rear or you can do the "pedal test" to check the ECU MIL light code and then check the data base for what the issue is. The ECU may have been fried if it got a voltage spike somehow.

Check the codes and see what the issue is first....
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge
    checked all the fuses, both in engine bay and behind the glove compartment?

Is the battery charged? Click here to enlarge
    The battery is brand new
    The fuses are all fine

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    So the dash lights come on when you turn the key?? Does the engine turn over??

It could be the ECU and the security module have stopped talking. Get the fault codes read "FIRST" before you change the ECU module over as the are very expensive....Around $1200 from Holden...

Easiest way is to get an OBD rear or you can do the "pedal test" to check the ECU MIL light code and then check the data base for what the issue is. The ECU may have been fried if it got a voltage spike somehow.

Check the codes and see what the issue is first....
    I cant do the test it only flashes continously
    Since the car doesn't move, I want to take out the ecu and get it checked out tomorrow, can anyone recommend a workshop that can help me???

Thanks

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well that's not so good....You'll prob have to get it done in the car....Even Holden apparently can only read them in the car...You might be able to get Lube mobile or similar to come and try and read the fault code off the car...

However it sounds almost exactly like what happened to my car when the ECU died..I was able to read the ECU a couple of times with a fault code reader then it finally just died and same thing, flashing MIL light...I had to get it towed to Holden to have a new ECU fitted and programmed to match the keys/security module....
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    Well that's not so good....You'll prob have to get it done in the car....Even Holden apparently can only read them in the car...You might be able to get Lube mobile or similar to come and try and read the fault code off the car...

However it sounds almost exactly like what happened to my car when the ECU died..I was able to read the ECU a couple of times with a fault code reader then it finally just died and same thing, flashing MIL light...I had to get it towed to Holden to have a new ECU fitted and programmed to match the keys/security module....
    ****en aye, how much did it cost you?

yeah with the paper clip test what i did was use a paper clip to short the 2 pins that you are ment to short going from a diagram. then hold the brake and accelerator together and switch to ignition and nothing happens just the light keeps flashing.

Apparently i fried the ecu cos of a voltage overload. I was rushing and put negative lead first then i was like oh **** and took it off then put positive then negative and didnt work.

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information