Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy. Anyone asks, you did it before August 1st.

And it doesn't affect esp :P esp doesn't care about ride height one bit. It's just drivel to get the public behind the changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge

i always wondered WHAT exactly makes lowing a car unsafe, because it can improve handling, and better the aerodynamics of some cars.. wouldnt that be a good thing?

until i read above that it affects ESP which sucks
    thats what i thought.. lowering improves your acctual cars ability to avoid pedestrians.. the only danger i can see with it is for one's self if you get side swiped you more likely to be rooted (expecially if its a 4wd with a lifter kit Click here to enlarge lol) the only negative i know of lowering is it reduces your turning circle, which to me isnt very dangerous at all its just inconvenient to need to do an 8 point turn...

but yes it should be ground clearance of front and rear bars.. (if you do it from lowest point cops will probs do it from your mudflaps..Click here to enlarge)

knowing WA this will take a few decades to get here Click here to enlarge
    -=Astra 2006=-
    Opelized - XHP 18" Chromes - Bolle Tints - Chrome Highlights - BeeSting Aerial - Piano Black Dash - Sunroof
    Full Leather Interior with Blue Stitching and Opel Logos - OPC Style Steering Wheel

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, but unfortunately the majority that go to the extremes for good looks simply throw low springs on, without re-rating or replacing the shocks (which always costs a lot more than the springs as we know), which will now be operating well outside of their recommended area of travel and damping ability.

3 months later they wonder why their shocks are leaking oil and their car is bouncing like a trampoline Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge
    ...and their car is bouncing like a trampoline Click here to enlarge
    I thought habibi's did that shit on purpose so it tells the ladies that if they had sexual intercourse with them in their car it'd be hella bouncy and fun.

Back on topic though, I realise that my PROPER lowering wont get any police attention but does the RTA expect us all to carry around our reciepts now?

Since cars before August 1st dont require hte cert, how will we prove that we lowered prior tot eh cut off?

Moreoever, what if i was a home-mechanic and i installed the springs myself YONKS ago? How will i prove that i installed them 2 years ago and not 3 hours ago???

I am all for this new law and I'm sure these kinks i mentioned have been or will be addressed over time by the government.

I've always thought less of people* who lower their cars to the point where its tucking half the rim.

Wow a motor vehicle law that I'm agreeable with... how odd.

*Yer i do judge people based on how much they drop their car. Whatup?
    Tom 08 Astra Coupe SRI 2.2 (Bunnings Tune)
    Click here to enlarge

"Forced induction" sounds like some sort of sexual assault.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i imagine they will administer some sort of engine bay plate or something that can only be put on by an authorized mechanic or some crud, like an engineering plate but pointless Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice ugg-ugg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought u.k laws were bad,but this sounds just like over here they are just targeting drivers for the easy moneyClick here to enlarge,and as for making a car unstable and affecting the brakingClick here to enlarge,i thought the whole idea of modding was to make the car not only look better but also improve the handling aswell.Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ugg-ugg Click here to enlarge
    I thought u.k laws were bad,but this sounds just like over here they are just targeting drivers for the easy moneyClick here to enlarge,and as for making a car unstable and affecting the brakingClick here to enlarge,i thought the whole idea of modding was to make the car not only look better but also improve the handling aswell.Click here to enlarge
    Nope. Some people mod to rice, some people mod to race, and some people, mod to be hekdick.

Does this look like it improves handling?

Click here to enlarge

The main problem with those *people* lowering thier cars to the extent that it becomes undrivable on public roads is that, they're undrivable on public roads.

While poeple will say "lower it is the lowe the center of gravity, the beter the turning", lets not forget that there are an abundant amount of other factors and elements that are affected by lowering to 2cm off the ground.

1. Brakes
    2. Alignments
    3. Shocks
    4. Steering
    5. The size of the penis you want in your mouth (exponentially and inversely increases to the height of the ground clearance unless off set by other mods to combat the new lowered state).

RACE CARS are very low to the ground:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

But all of their geometry and what have you has been designed to go with this.

Why dont they just go wtih a normal ride height and not have to worry about that shit?

There IS an advantage to a lower ride height in a performance sense but you cant blindy approach it by cutting sections off yoursprings and have your car 2cm off the road thinking "holyshit i must turn like a go kart now im gonna pwn that ferrari".

Fact is, road cars arent designed to run at those heights. Its detrimental to every part of the car... and knowing the type of people that chop/compress springs, the main concern is scraping their precious bodykit.
    Last edited by tomtom; 26th July 2009 at 02:17 PM.
    Tom 08 Astra Coupe SRI 2.2 (Bunnings Tune)
    Click here to enlarge

"Forced induction" sounds like some sort of sexual assault.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely...Lowering a standard car will only help to a certain level..

After you reach a certain level, the roll centres, king pins angles, castor, camber and other variables get so far away from optimum or to get one to where you want it you destroy the others...

Too low for the road is when it hits, scapes, rubs etc just doing the normal road car things...Dangerous for the road is when it does this and it adversely affects the handling...I've seen first hand a WRX that was so low the drive shafts popped out from the exageragted angles away from standard...
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

I'm new here, please be nice ugg-ugg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken,but mine is'nt silly lowered it's only on a 60/40 front/rear, strut on the front to bring it all inline and big discs and braided hoses,and goes round corners for fun.Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See thats OK...Mines prob not far off that too, but I don;t know how low it is...But if its stupidly low, it should be seriously looked at
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Thread Information