Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New laws regarding car lowering (NSW)

This could spread throughout Australia...

Approval from RTA needed to raise or lower car suspension

AAP
    July 16, 2009 12:11pm
    Text size
    + - Print Email Share Add to MySpace Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Fark Post to Facebook Add to Kwoff What are these? NEW laws making it an offence to raise or lower a car's suspension without proper approval is about saving lives, New South Wales Roads Minister Michael Daley says.
    From August 1, car owners will be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than five centimetres, and all modifications will need approval from Roads and Traffic Authority engineers.

Currently, a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval.

Mr Daley says while drivers may think a lowered car looks "cool" it really is dangerous and any adjustment of more than five centimetres doesn't belong on the road.

"I don't want to see young hoons putting their lives or the lives of others at risk, just because they think their car looks better 15 centimetres closer to the ground," Mr Daley said.

"Raising or lowering a vehicle's height can put the driver, passengers and other road users at risk.

"It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control."

Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been mentioned on one of the other forums I am on

and the point has been raised that the most people this will effect will be 4wd owners with lift kits on there cars, it is also worth mentioning that 4wd clubs are in general more organised than most clubs, I think the govt. is going to be in for some sort of fight.

Coilovers can be wound up or down, and what the cops are going to carry a book wit the ride height of every car on the road here
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sssdriver Click here to enlarge
    God bless hoons, without them tying up police resources my methlab would have been raided aeons ago!:uhh:

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    read this on ozaudi this morning.

and this reply from Guy

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aussie Audi Guy Click here to enlarge
    The Industry groups have started to react:

"
    Dear Member,

Earlier this afternoon we received a press release from the office of the New South Wales Minister for Roads, Michael Daley. Please follow the below link to review this press release.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents/downloads/minister_releases/16072009_carhoons.pdf

Under the guise of attempting to hamper modifications undertaken by 'car hoons' the Minister has outlined changes in regulation that will cause havoc for both the automotive industry and the 1000's of drivers on NSW roads with minor, currently legal suspension modifications. Many of the modifications outlined in the press release that will require engineering approval are completely legal in EVERY other state in Australia, making this scenario totally unworkable. We have spoken with other consumer and industry stakeholder groups nationally, and they, like us were not consulted regarding this radical change in policy direction.

We are currently drafting a letter that will be sent in the next 24 hours requesting an immediate meeting with the Minister to highlight both the shortcomings in the policy and the gross misconceptions raised in this press release.

Should you require any further information, please contact myself at the AAAA National Office on 03-9561-7044."

This is from the Performance Racing & Tuning Council, as well as the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association.
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    4wd's with lift kits should need engineering certs though, can you imagine how dangerous they are for a pedestrian....the bull bar would just crack your forehead open rather than you being able to go over the bonnet.
    Still...for 5cm, it's not going to affect to many people lowering their cars, more just people who think it's cool to overly compress their springs and have their wheels in the arches..Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let's not forget the fact that I'm sure this law will bring about some revenue source. (I'm assuming getting these certificates costs some kind of money)
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .. i kind've agree with this law.. 50mm over standard is usually enough for the road. Most people would agree that any further definately compromises safety and comfort levels.

As for higher, there's a hilux around our area with a lift kit (and tonka replacing the toyota decal hahah) It's cabin floor stands at about most car's roof height.. sure it's great for rock crawling, but for driving on the roads...? Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sooty Click here to enlarge
    4wd's with lift kits should need engineering certs though, can you imagine how dangerous they are for a pedestrian....the bull bar would just crack your forehead open rather than you being able to go over the bonnet.
    Still...for 5cm, it's not going to affect to many people lowering their cars, more just people who think it's cool to overly compress their springs and have their wheels in the arches..Click here to enlarge
    get hit by a 4x4 your odds arent good anyway... you're not gonna go up over the bonnet of a landcruiser even if it was lowered Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge
    .. i kind've agree with this law.. 50mm over standard is usually enough for the road. Most people would agree that any further definately compromises safety and comfort levels.

As for higher, there's a hilux around our area with a lift kit (and tonka replacing the toyota decal hahah) It's cabin floor stands at about most car's roof height.. sure it's great for rock crawling, but for driving on the roads...? Click here to enlarge
    gotta get to the rock crawling somehow Click here to enlarge

unfortunately this is targeted at a specific group I suspect (slammed commonwhores and extremely low civics) and as a result everyone is going to be punished... so if your springs are sagging are you going to get done for ride height being out by a cm or 2?
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should be a minimum ground clearance height, not a maximum amount of change from standard which is impossible to police...

A minimum ground clearance of 70mm or 100mm is easy to check and I actually agree would be safer than the "slammed" Civics', Commonwhores & pick-ups...

As for the raising of 4WD's, that's much harder to police...
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge

Agree...

On most newer cars there's no need to lower more than 25-40mm to get a perfect result, especially if you combine that with a larger wheel size Click here to enlarge

That range works on most older cars as well...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wheres stefan? Click here to enlarge

(just jokes mate u know its all love)

i can kinda agree with this law too though... when u think about it... a 50mm drop is a fair bit (unless u drive a god damn magna)... and considering its going to become law, its quite generous considering how ridiculously tight they make other laws out there...

i always wondered WHAT exactly makes lowing a car unsafe, because it can improve handling, and better the aerodynamics of some cars.. wouldnt that be a good thing?

until i read above that it affects ESP which sucks
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Thread Information