Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm soooooooo tempted to get some avgas (i know some people who may be able to help me out, lol)..........
    Problem is, avgas isn't taxed like regular fuel, hence it's illegal on the road...... that said, it's cheaper too i believe! (actually, i just read the government also increased the excise... so more than regular fuel and also, it's leaded Click here to enlarge )
    I've NEVER had rough idling with ultimate, in fact, i rarely even feel my car idle!!
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry did i hear someone say they were getting 500- 600k city driving out of an astra.. please tell me how!!!!! I get between 300-380 out of a tank in my 2.2 sri doing city driving.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    city driving i got 468 with some still in the tank
    cruise today i have done over 400km and still have just over 1/4 of a tank to go

im stoked considering i was only getting 400 out of the unleaded tank
    Click here to enlarge

[ OOD33 ] <3's [ 57U-OO ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry did i hear someone say they were getting 500- 600k city driving out of an astra.. please tell me how!!!!!
    Probably that person was referring to a 1.8L Astra.

Anyway,
    BlackSRi's tips for doing more k's on a tank:
    1. Use 98ROn (BP Ultimate is what I use),
    2. Take the car upto 5th gear for fuel efficiency as soon as you can (Opel recommendation). Take off as smoothly as you can, mindful of correct rev ranges (don't over-rev).
    3. Use Engine braking (changing down gears) or minimal foot braking when slowing down (don't use standard braking - take your foot off the accelerator more to slow down in traffic - air resistance assists here). Anticipate traffic and learn not to hammer the accelerator and then the brakes to slow down, all the time. Smooth, constant driving is the key.
    4. Let the car idle in neutral when stopped at lights (use handbrake to hold car).
    5. Wind up your windows - wind resistance adds to fuel use. This also goes for weather protector/shields too (remove them perhaps if you can). Take off the roof rack if unused.
    6. Don't use aircon if you can help it (only use when really hot or for demisting).
    7. Keep your tires at the right pressure - underinflating uses more fuel - over creates wear and braking issues.
    8. Don't drive at high k's - most cars run best at 80km/hr.
    9. Don't carry lots of extra weight in the car - eg crap - it all takes fuel to 'pull' it around every day.
    10. Keep your engine tuned (incl. ECU - fuel richness etc should be adjusted by updates etc).
    11. Turn off engine when stopped for long periods - even at 'lights. The guy I read about this does this. Starting a warm modern engine uses less fuel than 1-2 minutes idling.
    12. I fold in my left mirror to reduce air resistance, and check over my left shoulder instead.

I can't take credit for all of these - there is a champ I read about in 'the West' in a 1.4L who received an award for best accredited fuel efficient use driving around Oz who listed his tips.

Also RAC(WA):

Better understanding
    David Moir says RAC Fuel Champions also aims to help consumers better understand the fuel market and how to minimise their everyday fuel.

"There are many simple things that members can do to reduce their fuel costs," says David.

"Just reducing your travelling speed can reduce your fuel consumption by up to 10 per cent.

"Carrying sporting equipment like golf clubs and work gear around in the car only adds to fuel consumption, as do poorly maintained tyres, which increase rolling resistance and fuel consumption by up to two per cent."

Five RAC Fuel Champions tips for reducing your fuel costs:

Drive smoothly;
    Reduce speed;
    Reduce the weight in your car;
    Service your car regularly;
    Use alternative transport – walk, cycle or use public transport.
    Visit rac.com.au for more tips on keeping your fuel costs down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuhuh... and thats why i bought an 2.2 SRi, cos i wanted to start from the lights slow - put it into 5th as soon as possible and be minful of rev ranges...

Click here to enlarge

Anyway just so i could gain a decent perspective i bit the bullet and filled up with Ultimate instead of Optimax (which is a big deal cos i've got two vouchers for 4c a litre off on optimax!! Only problem was none of the shell stations in my area have got any at the moment.. but i digress...)

so anyway there was i reading about the improved performance of ultimate over optimax and then the arguments back the other way in the past posts and well i have to say i'm feeling the surge of power a bit lower in the rev range with Ultimate than i did with optimax... i've only just filled up today but it's definately there - i'll have to run the tank down to see the difference in mileage but i might be inclined to go Ultimate if the figures are good.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BP Ulimate is great for takeoff improvement - I take the middle ground - fast takeoff upto 5th and stay there... resulting fuel economy 8-9L/100km.

Have a look at Fuel for thought -
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Sydney to Brisbane Holden Fuel Efficiency Drive

So, what’s the secret? Well, the idea is to get into top gear as soon as possible and stay there as much as possible, and try to maintain a steady speed.

Consistency is the name of the game and for the most part we averaged a little over 80km/h.

It is also desirable to minimise braking; if forced to brake, then it's wise to use gears to reduce speed as much as possible.
    Just like I mentioned - I do this and it helps even out the take-offs from the lights Click here to enlarge

Safe driving.

Thread Information