Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forced Induction Conversions'

Ok hi guys, im seriously considering doing a forced induction conversion on my car.

Want to know what is involved.
    leaning towards SC as there is a shop over here that does MR2 ones for about $600.

so my shoppin thoughts:
    S/C
    Piping
    Inlet manifold to S/C adaptor plate
    SRiT/VXR injectors (??)
    Fuel pump
    FPR
    decompression plate
    FMIC (do you put a fmic between filter and s/c?)
    Piggyback ecu (??)
    belts.
    extractors
    flowed head.
    flowed intake manifold

so can you think of anything else?
    is it safe to run your water pump slower, if so might add a underdrive belt.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you are forgetting your drivetrain.

urs is an auto yeah? will need to look into ways of strengthening it or something (i havent looked into this myself yet so im unsure) because with any big change in power, the transmission has to be able to handle it
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't run the water pump on a turbo converted car slower then when it was naturally aspirated...

Also the FMIC goes between the s/c and the manifold. If you're not planning on running much boost, they're often not used for s/cs (eg the s/c conversions on the ls series), as it adds a lot to the charge length going from supercharger -> fmic -> inlet manifold, and isn't as necessary. But it sounds like you're aiming for a bit, with decompression plates, so probably worth looking in to Click here to enlarge.

Sounds like you've thought of pretty much everything - only suggestion is what's the stock AFM on your engine? It may only be rated at the airflow for 150hp or so, in which case you may need larger.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    you are forgetting your drivetrain.

urs is an auto yeah? will need to look into ways of strengthening it or something (i havent looked into this myself yet so im unsure) because with any big change in power, the transmission has to be able to handle it
    thought the box in it was good up to 350ish hp?
    my aim is for ~250-300 hp

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't run the water pump on a turbo converted car slower then when it was naturally aspirated...

Also the FMIC goes between the s/c and the manifold. If you're not planning on running much boost, they're often not used for s/cs (eg the s/c conversions on the ls series), as it adds a lot to the charge length going from supercharger -> fmic -> inlet manifold, and isn't as necessary. But it sounds like you're aiming for a bit, with decompression plates, so probably worth looking in to Click here to enlarge.

Sounds like you've thought of pretty much everything - only suggestion is what's the stock AFM on your engine? It may only be rated at the airflow for 150hp or so, in which case you may need larger.
    thanks mate.
    thats pretty useful, dont have much room for a fmic anyway.

hmm yeah AFM, would def have to look at that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think its worth it eh unless u have a money tree out the back.

Even if money isn't an issue your car being an older girl, reliability will completely disappear. It will be a never ending project that will cause hassle after hassle. That's just my 2 cents.
    IMO you will always be better of buying a turbo and modding that to your liking.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Neeko Click here to enlarge
    I don't think its worth it eh unless u have a money tree out the back.

Even if money isn't an issue your car being an older girl, reliability will completely disappear. It will be a never ending project that will cause hassle after hassle. That's just my 2 cents.
    IMO you will always be better of buying a turbo and modding that to your liking.
    hmm, well i dont plan of sellin this car anytime soon,
    and my thoughts were, spend 6-7k on this, or buy a 1jz supra for the same money.
    and this car is pretty damn reliable, and i love the extreme sleeper idea.
    while the supra would be fun, IMO would cost more to make it as powerful/reliable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before asking yourself 'what do I need?'
    ask 'what is my budget?' and 'how long am I likely to keep this car?'
    followed by 'am I sure I want to blow coin on this rather than upgrade to another vehicle?'

There'll be plenty of people who'll tell you not to bother, and they'd have a good point. if you add it up on paper, along with some realistic power figures, then weigh it up against what you could buy for the money. But hey, you've probably already done that and want to be different right? then go for it!

I'd start by doing a few of the mods that you can use now. Like the extractors and the ECU.

I wouldn't go for the MR2 supercharger, as it was fitted to a 1600 engine, in the mid 80's meaning the chance of finding one in decent condition is pretty slim. There was a latter model Levin (FWD) that came supercharged, (we didn't get them here) that could be a contenter. I would go turbo, or at least something suited to the capacity of the engine.

Without going all out with internals (especially cause) yours are likely pretty old, you're never going to be putting out big power, so really no need to flow the head or manifold.

Most people that successfuly complete these kind of projects either:
    a) have money to burn
    b) are in the industry, or advanced DIY with good contacts
    c) do it over a loooong time and come out with something fairly sub-par to the current 'scene' (seen this one many times)
    d) get themselves into alot of dept

Unless you're a or b, it's not really worth it.
    You also need to think about extra maintenance and insurance. If you don't have this extra cash now, likely as not you're going to find it hard.

but like I said, if it's what you really want, then go for it!
    Otherwise this is just another, 'I want to FI my ---' thread which never gets off the paper.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    hmm, well i dont plan of sellin this car anytime soon,
    and my thoughts were, spend 6-7k on this, or buy a 1jz supra for the same money.
    and this car is pretty damn reliable, and i love the extreme sleeper idea.
    while the supra would be fun, IMO would cost more to make it as powerful/reliable
    Unfortunately you'd probably be looking at heaps more $$$ than that.
    Like I said the car being reliable now, not so much after conversion. There are just so many things that can go wrong.
    What about an engine conversion?
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    only suggestion is what's the stock AFM on your engine? It may only be rated at the airflow for 150hp or so, in which case you may need larger.
    You can run a clamp, or would probably do away with it using aftermarket ecu.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    Hell no! 1J would eat you up and run for twice as long with the same $$ spent.

Thread Information