Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread like these show up on every car forum that exists.. if anything it's a great outlet for creativity and exchange of imaginative ideas even if they don't get off the ground.

A few years ago, one of our young engineers (his first paying job) had a tired old nissan bluebird and started a ground up rebuild of the 1800cc engine.

He removed and stripped the block in his garage, sourced & imported new pistons,rods,cams, as well as a nice shiny garret he found on ebay... and spent the majority of his free time chasing parts and the people at the shop who were doing the rebuild.

His estimate was $7-8k and 3 months installed & back on the road (and was catching the bus to work everyday as his car was off the road) Had to admire his fortitude!

Unfortunately 6 months later and -well- exceeding budget, he still didn't have an engine and was p*ssd at..

1. not having any money
    2. not having any transport (esp over christmas)
    3. tradespeople, sales staff and mechanics in general
    4. himself

In the end he left us, as he found a (sales) job which offered a company car, and everything was on ebay 'as is' Sad story as his enthusiasm and knowledge was unquestionable. He was simply let down an unrealistic view of time and costs, and by people expected to do the work properly.

Probably would've been a rocket once done though... could prolly dig up his thread on the nissan forums somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Keep'emRunning Click here to enlarge
    Thread like these show up on every car forum that exists.. if anything it's a great outlet for creativity and exchange of imaginative ideas even if they don't get off the ground.

A few years ago, one of our young engineers (his first paying job) had a tired old nissan bluebird and started a ground up rebuild of the 1800cc engine.

He removed and stripped the block in his garage, sourced & imported new pistons,rods,cams, as well as a nice shiny garret he found on ebay... and spent the majority of his free time chasing parts and the people at the shop who were doing the rebuild.

His estimate was $7-8k and 3 months installed & back on the road (and was catching the bus to work everyday as his car was off the road) Had to admire his fortitude!

Unfortunately 6 months later and -well- exceeding budget, he still didn't have an engine and was p*ssd at..

1. not having any money
    2. not having any transport (esp over christmas)
    3. tradespeople, sales staff and mechanics in general
    4. himself

In the end he left us, as he found a (sales) job which offered a company car, and everything was on ebay 'as is' Sad story as his enthusiasm and knowledge was unquestionable. He was simply let down an unrealistic view of time and costs, and by people expected to do the work properly.

Probably would've been a rocket once done though... could prolly dig up his thread on the nissan forums somewhere.

Sounds like me LoL, except i actually finished it lol.

But its the story for most though actually.

On the SSS forum it comes up all the time engine conversions, main responses are.

1) dont do it, buy one that is already done and casued headaches for someone else.

2) there is no cheap way about it so dont ask.

3) whatever your budget and time frame is allow for up to double on both.

and now there are cars that are already complete and done and running well, for less then what i spent on the parts alone its mental.

But after its all said and done and u drive it, at least you know that u did and u went through it all, just makes u appreciate it more i guess.

Mine was off the road from middle of dec last year and i only got it back a few weeks ago, and before i got it back i was like i might sell it im sick of it blah blah blah, then once it was finished and i tok it for a drive i was like nah i not selling it hehehe.

SSS_Hoon
    Click here to enlarge
    ......all that work and still not enough killer wasps, So i'm in the hunt for more.....

Life Is A Bitch, Death Is A ****, That Comes For Everyone, When It Comes For You, Your Completely ****ed

"Soon to be adding to the family with a itty bitty bubby"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah me too sss Click here to enlarge.

astra sri-t runs 12.3psi overboost and 7psi constant in stock form.
    remapped runs "upto" 22psi o/boost, and "targets" 15psi constant, but drops with revs, heat, and other limitations and restrictions.

yes shay the sri-t is identicle to ur engine, same head (just has provisions in the exhaust ports for SAI) and has diff tappet cover (to hold the leads instead of coil pack).

bottom end is the same, 2.2L has longer stroke, taller block, same bore. same/similar crank (may or may not have balance shafts).
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    auzvectra... is that how you've managed to make a Z22LET? I tried figuring it out from your car thread but failed Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    auzvectra... is that how you've managed to make a Z22LET? I tried figuring it out from your car thread but failed Click here to enlarge
    yep Click here to enlarge different bottom end
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -wants-

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, it's actually more like a Z23LET Click here to enlarge, bout 20-30cc's short from memory.
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Thread Information