Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much air intake?

Is it possible you can have too much air intake after installing a cold air intake? I'm guessing that delay you hear when giving it a quick squeeze in neutral means just that. Does this mean I may need to adjust the chip?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot have too much air intake. There can be issues with the way the air flows through the AFM though, if the air is turbulent as it goes past it may not give good readings, this is an issue I've heard of some people having with pod filters. Fiddle the positioning a bit and it comes good.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEK-46P Click here to enlarge
    Is it possible you can have too much air intake after installing a cold air intake? I'm guessing that delay you hear when giving it a quick squeeze in neutral means just that. Does this mean I may need to adjust the chip?
    I would do a vacuum test on the intake. Usually a delay would mean there is still a restriction somewhere

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - I believe you can !

It is a specific thing though and affects certain set ups...

I had this problem with my turbo vert, fitted a high flow intake filter with a certain re-map, definitely could hear and feel more air ingestion, but at a certain rev range the engine would retard and go backwards ! immediately after putting the stock air filter back on, all was back to normal...

I put it down to the ecu's sensors not being happy with the extra air flow especially in lieu of the re-map...

I'd say you could definitely cure the problem with a thorough cuatom tune using a piggy back ecu as some here have done Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thought so. It just feels as though the car doesn't know what to do with all this extra gush of air.

Can you tell me more about the cuatom tune?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't suppose that is just the fly-by-wire lag?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thought so. It just feels as though the car doesn't know what to do with all this extra gush of air.

have you disconnected your battery to reset the ecu?
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st off apologies for my spelling error of 'custom' which was copied by you LOL...

Basically any piggy back ecu (Haltech is a popular one) fitted to and tuned via a dyno on your car will override the factory ecu's control to a point of all these things...

It comes in handy if you've done alot more work to your engine and can help to make it run smooth and extract max. power from your mods.

Lots of people here have done it, good person to ask is Gavin (CNBLU) Click here to enlarge

If all you have is a remap, the advice always given is to stick to a stock set up with everything else on the intake side, as that is how the maps are designed and test run from the firms that make them...

Exhaust mods pre and aft cat seem to be ok too, but where ever there's sensors you'll run into trouble unless you address them also - all depends how far you want to go Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    have you disconnected your battery to reset the ecu?
    Didn't know I had to do that. Is that something that needs to be done after a mod?

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't know I had to do that. Is that something that needs to be done after a mod?
    I do it after any performance mod. Lets the ecu learn the new values.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information