Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi Guys!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    Even fitting the cdti airbox makes the turbo considerably louder... which may be one explanation for the ridiculous crossover arrangement in the first place. Click here to enlarge
    Mine sounds like this with pod - custom intake, 3"dump pipe, intercooler, re-map.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Its so great to see so many like minded people helping each other out Click here to enlarge! I've been reading through the forums and they are brilliant Click here to enlarge!

chrissn89: Thanks! The VXR (OPC back home) has always been my dream car, ever since it was released back in 2006 when I was still driving around in my 1.4 Opel Corsa Chill (I think its called the Barina here? - Maybe I'll post some pics). And Im SO happy I finally have one Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge!

Your car sounds fantastic!! What DV are you using there? The dump on your car sounds great! I would love to install a CIA unit, but I've been told that this requires cutting / modification of the bodywork? Is this true? If it is, would just a Pod Filter and heatshield, with a Short Ram Intake setup give the same sound?

With regards to the turbo flutter, would this be possible with the vac hose still connected? And would it help to get an aftermarket internal DV to replace the stock one? Please excuse me if my questions seem a bit trivial, just trying to learn as much as possible Click here to enlarge. Knowledge is POWER as they say (177Kw of power at the momentClick here to enlarge)

Nurb608: Thanks for the help! I will do some research online abot the software and then see which one "looks" the best Click here to enlarge. Will a software upgade affect the warranty. I have a friend back home in South Africa who bought an 06 Astra GSI Turbo, and he was told by the Opel Dealership that if he messed with the software, it would void his warranty!

btm: Thanks mate! I think the silver gives it a very sleek look Click here to enlarge!

mania: I know what you mean! It seems that the whole stupid "over the engine" crossover system is one of the silliest things Opel ever made Click here to enlarge!

maloo97: Thanks Maloo!

Once again guys, thanks for all the help!
    Are you VXR enough?
    Click here to enlarge
    Previous:
    2002 Opel Astra Coupe Turbo
    2002 Opel Corsa Chill (on Superboss Rims)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ash VXRoz Click here to enlarge
    chrissn89: Thanks! The VXR (OPC back home) has always been my dream car, ever since it was released back in 2006 when I was still driving around in my 1.4 Opel Corsa Chill (I think its called the Barina here? - Maybe I'll post some pics). And Im SO happy I finally have one Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge!

Your car sounds fantastic!! What DV are you using there? The dump on your car sounds great! I would love to install a CAI unit, but I've been told that this requires cutting / modification of the bodywork? Is this true? If it is, would just a Pod Filter and heatshield, with a Short Ram Intake setup give the same sound?

With regards to the turbo flutter, would this be possible with the vac hose still connected? And would it help to get an aftermarket internal DV to replace the stock one? Please excuse me if my questions seem a bit trivial, just trying to learn as much as possible Click here to enlarge. Knowledge is POWER as they say (177Kw of power at the momentClick here to enlarge)
    Im just running the stock BOV/DV, there just alot more audible with a pod filter and the cross over pipe removed.

Yes running a CAI (cold air intake) you would have to cut into your wheel arch. As you can see from my pics im just using the stock, air intake and my pod is not heat shielded. I live in the country and only have to stop at one stop sign on the way to work. I dont feel any heat soak on my 10km trip to work, plus having the bigger front mount intercooler helps.

Hmm the turbo flutter maybe possible with the vac hose still connected, but the theory is still the same. Youve got to give the compressed air from the turbo no where to go once youve backed off. The turbo flutter sound is the air going back through the turbo and being chopped up. In turn slowing down your turbo and putting excess pressure on the bearings. Thus when your in the next gear youve got to wait for the turbo to spool up again because when you changed gears the air (flutter) sound was trying to make the turbo spin the other way.

Hope that all makes sense,
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks chrissn89!

I think I'll just go the route you have then, and just use the "non-crossover" short ram intake and pod filter setup like yours. Might just change the OE dv to an aftermarket direct replacement, as these are stronger and last longer. Would a heatshield on the Pod filter help? As I said, the vehicle is still under warranty, so I dont want to go cutting body panels to fit on a CAI system Click here to enlarge
    Are you VXR enough?
    Click here to enlarge
    Previous:

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nurb608: Thanks for the help! I will do some research online abot the software and then see which one "looks" the best Click here to enlarge. Will a software upgade affect the warranty. I have a friend back home in South Africa who bought an 06 Astra GSI Turbo, and he was told by the Opel Dealership that if he messed with the software, it would void his warranty!
    Alot of them can be put back to stock before you bring it in to your dealership. Anything you do to your car may affect your warranty but only if it attributes directly to any issue you bring it in for under your warranty.

By the way, if your looking at a dump valve, look at the twin piston version, something like a baileys dv26 etc, the others apparently will give you issues.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nurb608

I was just looking through your thread in the "Members Rides" section of the forum. (All 14 or so pages Click here to enlarge) Your car looks hot!

I see that you went for a custom exhaust. Have a look at my post on the "wants" section. Maybe you can give me some advice?
    Are you VXR enough?
    Click here to enlarge
    Previous:

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Nurb608

I was just looking through your thread in the "Members Rides" section of the forum. (All 14 or so pages Click here to enlarge) Your car looks hot!

I see that you went for a custom exhaust. Have a look at my post on the "wants" section. Maybe you can give me some advice?
    I threw up the link for the Piper 3" in there and if you search in the forum it's linked to it will list all the ones everyone has mentioned. They all should perform pretty much the same, just realistically comes down to the sound your after. Unless your going to be running a heap more power than stock the performance wouldn't be that noticable. I went for a custom job as it was cheaper and could get the sound I wanted trying different mufflers etc, the first setup was a bit over the top and would have got pulled over pulling out of their workshop lol. As people have mentioned, the main restrictions are in the cats and mufflers. First 2 things to look at would be fitting a precat pipe that replaces the original precat then fit a sports high flow main cat, 200cell usually does the trick. Mind you, doing this will sometimes throw up your emisions light as the sensor detects that the readings are outside of the stock range. Some maps will combat this issue for ya.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nurb! PM sent to you
    Are you VXR enough?
    Click here to enlarge
    Previous:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

I know of people who've done turbo work through Street Torque in Alice Springs, so maybe they can help you if you're interested.
    Richard - 2006 AH CDTi Manual Astra - black with black tint and black Advanti Medusa 17" rims (wife's car) - Daughter has a white CDTi Manual too, we're suckers!
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 - Petrol guzzler!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CDTI!

Have they done any work on Astra Turbos?
    Are you VXR enough?
    Click here to enlarge
    Previous:

Thread Information