Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Launch Control/Flat Shift

Just out of curiosity, how much would i be looking at for launch control and flat shifting unit for the astra? Yes i know it's a clutch killer etc but would only be for 1/4 miles etc.

Regal have developed one thats not yet advertised so looking at price comparisons.

Cheers Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nurb608 Click here to enlarge
    Just out of curiosity, how much would i be looking at for launch control and flat shifting unit for the astra? Yes i know it's a clutch killer etc but would only be for 1/4 miles etc.

Regal have developed one thats not yet advertised so looking at price comparisons.

Cheers Click here to enlarge
    Launch control in a stick shift manual Click here to enlarge someone will have to explain that one to me...

Flat chainging can be done on certain manual transmissions successfully at certain revs/speed, but normally as you said, it's a trans killer personally I wouldn't bother...

This is where autos (especially if fitted with a high stall converter etc.) or the automated manuals excel and are the superior choice for drag racing or quickest straight line performance Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From Regal.

"Think how much time you waste between gears, lifting off the throttle...clutch down...shift gear....clutch out....throttle on......

imagine if you could keep your foot FLAT to the floor, right from a standing start untill you run out of tarmac.....

This Regal tailored launch/shift module will allow you do do that.

Pick your launch RPM, initiate launch mode, sit on the line with the turbo pre-spooling at your chosen rpm, drop the clutch, full throttle, keep the throttle pinned and just dip the clutch to change gear - keeping the turbo constantly spooled through the gears.

The module will cut ign when the clutch is depressed to limit rpm between gear changes but will keep fuel injection... much in the same way WRC anti-lag works, keeping you on boost for the duration of your run.

This rpm limit also allows you to change gear more precisely by allowing gear synchros to mesh accurately and more smoothly and reduce gearbox wear from otherwise inaccurate gearshifts

it's expected that you will cut at least 3-5 tenths off a 1/4 mile run with this system, often more!

System is fully inegrated into the cabin, and unless you tell your occupants they will never know it's there!

Normal driving will not be affected by the system install and it will not operate unless the arming sequence is completed - no fussy switchgear or clunky buttons Click here to enlarge

We have 4 Cars running this sytem now, and its hilariously good fun - you will be grinning from ear to ear! Click here to enlarge "
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Launch control in a stick shift manual Click here to enlarge someone will have to explain that one to me...
    Exactly the same as on a dsg or anything else Click here to enlarge. You can preset revs at say 3000rpm, floor it, and the car will stay at those revs until you let the clutch out.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah sounds great nurb. I'm getting one :P. Can see Vauxhall is going to hate regal..

As for alternative units, I was looking one a while ago and couldn't find much. Most just disable spark plugs, which is a pretty bad way for going about it... but I thought that's what "cuts ignition" means? In which case, why do they then suggest this system retards ignition heavily, even until the exhaust valve is open, to be like antilag. Click here to enlarge

Anyway good find.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting to hear back on a price and there should be some vids tommorow of the test cars.

Still a while off before i look at actually getting one, need the diff first!

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really would need a diff Click here to enlarge. Wonder what the install is like, and how you go about activating/deactivating it? Sounds like it's a cat killer, not a turbo killer though - disables spark plugs. So there are other devices that do similar. Price should be (480-3hourslabor)/1.15... so once you find out, we should be able to figure out what they charge for labor over there Click here to enlarge.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the cat was the next issue, but would try not to use it all around the place, if that works, lol Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting fact

The Chevy Cobalt SS with the turbo 2L Ecotec engine has a built in flatshifting mode for quick 0-100 and stand 1/4mile times.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did someone say bye bye warranty Click here to enlarge

Why not worry about an LSD to actually put the power down first???
    2006 Subaru WRX

Thread Information