Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I will not be buying one by 2012. Unless the government forces it by hiking tax's on petrol to ridiculous levels (which would be a waste, because other countries would continue to guzzle it). Mainly because my car loan wouldn't even have finished by then, and petrol still isn't costing that much per year.

Wouldn't mind having a daily one at some point though, maybe by 2020, if it all takes off. Would you be an early uptaker?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd uptake it tomorrow if I could get something like the Tesla for $50k, hell yeah! To be honest I don't care that much about being green, all I want is cheap torque. And clean air.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love a telsa....

Back to what I was saying about Hazelwood though, which I know was a bit pessmistic, but unless Australia finally decides to do something about our atrocious power supply all innovation is really for nothing. The Volt being driven here running purely on batteries would cause more pollution then a 2L Mazda 6, despite being slower... not offtopic - it really is one of the things that dampens my enthusiasm about (in our case) coal-powered cars Click here to enlarge. If that changes, and the price was right, I'd be quite a bit more eager to go electric..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look, if we start using electric cars on a large scale we need more electric power, full stop. Do I need to remind you what happens on a hot summer day in Adelaide, or Sydney? The thing is, the bloody labor government should do something to encourage the green power generation market, so the extra power needed would come from solar, wind and so on rather than from new coal fired powerstations. Using more electricity to move around would lead to investment in green power, too. I mean, look how much we spend on oil every year! A small fraction of that would be more than enough to put in place the electric car grid in all of our major cities and on the main interstate roads. Shai Agassi, the CEO of Better Place, said that an estimated $200 million is needed to do cover the whole Israel. That's about 2 weeks of oil money.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, electric cars may solve our airconditioning problems.

I can't remember where I read it, probably wikipedia, but there's an ingenious system where you allow the power station to control your garage power point. If you ever want to charge your car, you can, at a premium rate. Otherwise the power station will only charge it when they're not at peak capacity, for cheap. After all, it's potential going to waste. But then if the power stations ever can't meet demand, ie on a hot summers day, they can discharge the millions of stored kWhs around the city to meet demand, paying you to do so. As an example, a fully charged Volt could run a house's airconditioner for 8 hours or so. And a volt has a comparably small battery compared to what future cars will have...

Sorry, I seem unable to stay on topic in this thread Click here to enlarge I'll leave it be now I think. Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt buy a electric car, hence why the topic changed cause i said id buy a fuel cell over one..

IMO i would never trust a battery powered car inwhich atm basically runs on the same tech as phone batteries Lithium Ploymers... cause ive seen how they work after a year, when you first get it it will last aslong as they say but after say a years worth of charging i bet you will be lucky to get 1/4 the distance.. and id hate to see what the pricing of new batteries for a car are.. and then how do you dispose of these batteries? acid isnt very eco friendly..

and as dieselhead said.. in the end electric vehicle uses a powerpoint which what is australias power supply? fossil fuels.. electric cars will just create more demand on electricity and the power that is generated by solar/wind is unsubstancle compared, enless lets say every household was supplemented with a microturbine generator and solar paneling..

The person who makes a fesis powered car that doesnt stink like burning crap will make millions and the car WILL have a power source that wont run out, cause lets face it we all make it.. we just got to make sure we make enough of it, so if you own a top fuel dragracer better take advantage of sizzlers all you can eat Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

but no IMO electric cars are not the future atleast no designs that are coming through atm

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plan proposed by Better Place is that you just rent the use of a battery though. Being able to drive in to a device like a car wash, which'll change the battery supply in minutes, so that you can fill up and drive off much like you can now. They can manage all the recycling of the old batteries, etc. And they are largely recyclable.

The added bonus is you're not forced to use these battery changing shops as you can (slowly) fill up anywhere there's a power point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Denmark has a very serious problem: they have got too much wind power generation! You can't simply turn off a wind turbine because the wind would damage it. At night, when use is very low, they send power to the Germans. Funny thing is, the Danes have to pay the Germans to take over their excess power! That's exactly why charging batteries over night, and lots of them, is so appealing in Denmark.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    any idea of fee they will charge but Click here to enlarge?

i was under the impression once those batteries were dead, they were almost impossible to get rid of, no body wants them and the dont decay very well.. and the metal that they have in them by the end of its life is oxidised and worthless, the acid becomes weak but still to acidic to just poor out.. and you cant burn them cause they explode and release a dangerous corrosive gas.. and well the rest is plastic.. which can be melt down and re-used but thats about it..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    Denmark has a very serious problem: they have got too much wind power generation! You can't simply turn off a wind turbine because the wind would damage it. At night, when use is very low, they send power to the Germans. Funny thing is, the Danes have to pay the Germans to take over their excess power! That's exactly why charging batteries over night, and lots of them, is so appealing in Denmark.

they just need a vegas Click here to enlarge

Thread Information