Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pete, i was in melb for nearly a year, when i first moved there i was on my Ls and at that time even Ls could do road limit (110) same with Ps.

ive only known NSW to have the limits like that. but i think vic has it now too.

in nsw...
    Ls 80km max.
    red Ps 90km max
    green Ps 100km max
    full licence 110max (unless overtaking, for which most cops will allow 120 max)

i think on Ls its a great idea for a 80km limit, i remember one of my first drives i was on the highway and didnt feel safe at 100, so i sat on 80, but it was still freaky having cars flying past me. the worst part is having cars sit up your arse at night with their lights blaring at you through 3 mirrors while trying to concentrate on the road.

on Ps however, in general, you have enough experience to keep yourself in a straight line on the road and have learnt to deal with minor distractions.

the main reason there were so many deaths during a 2 or 3 year period a few years back, is because the gov anounced tougher laws were coming in, so everyone raced out to get their licence, which meant more inexperienced drivers on the road, and abracadabra...more p plate incidents.
    so they toughened the laws further...

fast forward a few years, the inexperienced are now experienced, the then p platers are now full licenced, both leading to less p plate incidents.

and what do we have now? gov/cops/traffic authorities claiming their tough laws are working.

i havent been a p plater for about 3 years now, maybe 4, but i still feel for those poor p platers getting a bad rap because of a small percentage of their kind. its just not fair.

ive covered many 10s of thousands of kms in my life so far, and i would have to honestly say that i see more full licenced driver doing stupid things than Ls or Ps. probably a ratio of 3 to 1.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vic doesn't have speed restrictions on L's and P's i'm almost certain....will double check now, but there wasn't when i got mine...
    EDIT: yeah, no restrictions...
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    +1 with ASTRAY

i feel P platers get the crap end of the stick and a Bias look upon them, yes there are some bad ones amongst them but there are amongst all age levels ok so

17-19 p platers = inexperienced drivers
    20-25 = off licence now cocky that they can drive with extra speed and not be targeted, ability to afford a performance car and insurance.
    25-40 = By this age you ussually have a full time job, which most people will have a shit day at work and vent some rage on there way home, whether that be tailgating or speeding.
    40-60 = ok lets admit it, your getting old.. your reaction time is getting worse, but you wont admit to that cause it'll be a younger generation who tells you that and they are always wrong.
    60-100 = you dont have eyesight anymore, your shrinking so you need a booster seat, your feet cant really reach the pedals so your only pushing it in a couple of millimeters.

Every age demagraphic has its flaws Click here to enlarge ofcourse this is a very "assuming" theory at the best of times lol

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ASTRAY Click here to enlarge
    i havent been a p plater for about 3 years now, maybe 4, but i still feel for those poor p platers getting a bad rap because of a small percentage of their kind. its just not fair.
    Agree completely... the media is mostly to blame for the above Click here to enlarge. Last few years they've had a real anti-p plater thing going. I'm not sure why :S... probably because it ties in nicely with hoon law articles, which sell newspapers and always get heaps of reader responses on both sides..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    death and crime sells..

stories on good young drivers doesnt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmonkey Click here to enlarge
    +1 with ASTRAY

i feel P platers get the crap end of the stick and a Bias look upon them, yes there are some bad ones amongst them but there are amongst all age levels ok so

17-19 p platers = inexperienced drivers
    20-25 = off licence now cocky that they can drive with extra speed and not be targeted, ability to afford a performance car and insurance.
    25-40 = By this age you ussually have a full time job, which most people will have a shit day at work and vent some rage on there way home, whether that be tailgating or speeding.
    40-60 = ok lets admit it, your getting old.. your reaction time is getting worse, but you wont admit to that cause it'll be a younger generation who tells you that and they are always wrong.
    60-100 = you dont have eyesight anymore, your shrinking so you need a booster seat, your feet cant really reach the pedals so your only pushing it in a couple of millimeters.

Every age demagraphic has its flaws Click here to enlarge ofcourse this is a very "assuming" theory at the best of times lol
    haha, i love it!

and back on topic. i think vic drivers are more forceful when driving, but syd drivers are the worst of the bunch.

the best drivers ive experienced has been canberra.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victoria most certainly did have a speed limit of 80kph for P platers.

The thing I really, really, really hated when driving in Melbourne.....................was my wife trying to read the Melways.Click here to enlarge
    Whats the go with women turning the freakin book around in all directions and then saying,,,hang on I'm trying to find where we are, oh OK found that street and you have to turn right HERE and I'm in the left lane. aaaaaaarrrhhhh

Thank god I've got a GPS now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AH08 Click here to enlarge

The thing I really, really, really hated when driving in Melbourne.....................was my wife trying to read the Melways.Click here to enlarge
    Whats the go with women turning the freakin book around in all directions and then saying,,,hang on I'm trying to find where we are, oh OK found that street and you have to turn right HERE and I'm in the left lane. aaaaaaarrrhhhh

Thank god I've got a GPS now.
    ok, well im lucky i never got done for doing 110. didnt even get done in nsw for doing 110 when i had vic plates on.
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AH08 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks AH08.

Jay/Ain/etc I didn't say that Vic had these laws recently - if you read my post I said in the 80's this was the case. They scrapped it after, and now have brought it back again.

Also, the assertion by some people that P-platers are "experienced" road users is laughable. P platers are NOT experienced in ANY way. It was too easy for me to get my licence. It was too easy for my little sister to get her licence 5 years later, and I reckon its still too easy to get a licence. Some questions, a crappy simulation and a nice little drive around the streets around your local VicRoads? Oh, I forgot the log book you can falsify for your 120 hours. Click here to enlarge I've seen plenty of P-platers on the road who dont even look like they've 20 hours of real driving, let alone 120.

I still remember being on my P's - I also remember almost writing myself off at least twice in that time. I put it down to inexperience and too much self confidence in my ability. I haven't had something like that happen to me for years now - and as a lot of Vic members can verify - I don't drive like a Grandpa. Experience is the key.

And before everyone starts going on about how full licenced drivers do bad things and pulling stats out of their arse on who does what more etc - read my post again - I'm talking about experience - which you can only get from time behind the wheel. And experience leads to maturity (in most cases) on the road.

I now wait for the inevitable "I drove my paddock bomb around the farm since I was 6 months old" bullshit line. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see this topic going on and on and on and on... *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

The generalisations are flying lol Click here to enlarge
    2006 Subaru WRX

Thread Information