Page 363 of 1353 FirstFirst ... 263313353359360361362363364365366367373413463863 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 13522
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no i dont know what he means ! I work in IT, not automotive !

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ice Click here to enlarge
    I'm an experimental research engineer, what's your point Click here to enlarge

Lol, nah it just essentially blocks off the EGR, letting only a small amount of exhaust gas through. gives better combustion, and a more responsive throttle pedal. Also reduces surging considerably.
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ice Click here to enlarge
    Its like connecting an external hard-drive and not using the internal one Click here to enlarge
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CNBLU Click here to enlarge
    Its like connecting an external hard-drive and not using the internal one Click here to enlarge
    oh rightttt.... got it...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fitted bosch aerotwins to the astra,
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    Yesterday: bought new battery. Took battery home. Removed old battery.
    Me too. Also add "Fitted new battery" to that list.

Now, could I ask another oiler to do a quick test for me?

Clipped on the front of the battery tray is the "pre/post heating control unit" - recognisable because it has a fairly large silver heatsink covering it. It controls the glow plugs and fuel filter heating systems. A couple of minutes after fitting the new battery this heatsink was really hot to the touch - probably 50 degrees or more (I could touch it, but it was uncomfortably hot). All I'd done at that point was to unlock and lock the doors a couple of times. The car hasn't been driven since Sunday, it isn't a hot day, and the car is shaded half the day.

I want to know if it's this thing that is responsible for draining my battery on Sunday night. I don't want to find in the morning that my new battery has died too. My old battery went from 'running fine' to about 0.7V of charge in it overnight, and despite 24 hours on a charger was still taking >2amps and the little green window hadn' turned green. I had presumed the culprit was the radio defaulting to 'stay on' mode. However, finding this control unit thing so hot so soon might be an indication that something more expensive is wrong instead.

Having a heatsink suggests to me that the unit is supposed to get a bit hot, and being a control unit for glow plugs and fuel filter heater, it makes sense for it to be operating prior to the car starting. On the other hand, the wires leading to the unit aren't particularly thick, so maybe it isn't supposed to generate so much heat.

Could I ask someone with a diesel to lock/unlock their car a few times and tell me how hot their pre/post heating control unit gets?

Oh yeah, I did clean off a ton of battery corrosion off this unit on Sunday, with a bi-carb bath, then a rinse. Tried hard to keep the bottom dry, but it's possible that something seeped through I guess.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this for my car today, arrived in the mail from Simpson USA.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alix Click here to enlarge
    Could I ask someone with a diesel to lock/unlock their car a few times and tell me how hot their pre/post heating control unit gets?

Oh yeah, I did clean off a ton of battery corrosion off this unit on Sunday, with a bi-carb bath, then a rinse. Tried hard to keep the bottom dry, but it's possible that something seeped through I guess.
    Ahh, forggeddaboutit. It's borked.

Disconnected the battery and let it cool down. Reconnected and waited - five minutes later and the pre/post heater control unit is hot again. Didn't touch the ignition or security, so it's rooted. Throwing error ECN38008 too, which appears to be glow-plug related. I'm betting the control unit got some water in it and fried.

Wonder what Holden are going to charge me for that one... I'll be reconnecting the battery tomorrow morning, driving down and finding out I guess.

EDIT: Part # GM 5353011 51299014B, and somewhere around AUD$30 from Europe. Apparently it's just a relay. One of the spade connectors in the plug is pretty big, so there must be the switched high current connection for the glow plug circuit.
    Last edited by Alix; 15th February 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alix Click here to enlarge
    Me too. Also add "Fitted new battery" to that list.
    ... and I've just done that too. Battery in, cables connected, try to fit battery protector, scratch head, cables removed, battery protector fitted, cables refitted, relay box refitted.

Car starts fine, though seems a little rough - not like it's in limp mode though, it's a lot smoother than that. Is this normal? The battery has been out of the car for 24 hours.

I've reprogrammed the windows and the clock, but I haven't done the radio yet (haven't worked out how to get it out yet to get the codes. I'm sure the information is around here somewhere...)

Anything else I should be aware of having had the battery out for that long?

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by balker Click here to enlarge
    Got this for my car today, arrived in the mail from Simpson USA.

Click here to enlarge
    another Nico, put a shirt on please Click here to enlarge

im sure guy is loving it though

smick helmet dude!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information