Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    You don't need to use it, I haven't on mine and I'm using a TX Autosport phenolic gasket kit, which is two gaskets, plus a 6mm thick gasket shaped insulator. Idea is that it keeps the manifold cooler by not transferring as much heat from the block to the manifold, thus keeping intake temps down.

That's not to say you can't use sealant if it helps you sleep at night. Usually, I'd only use it around where any water galleries are present, which there aren't on the Z20LET manifold.
    Cool, yeah I won't then.

I tried installing the short shifter today and I can see why you said it's a bitch of a job. I eventually got the pin out, but then the little circlip for the left/right pivot cable faces away from you when it's on the car so I was fighting with it completely blind, in a spot too small to fit my hand properly. Eventually I used a small spanner to pop it off from the open end, but then I dropped the damn thing and it didn't fall through to the ground. So I spent about 30 minutes trying to find it without success. Then the sun set so I couldn't see anything anyway, so tomorrow I'll try take the left front wheel off and see if that provides any better access to find it. If not, I'll have to find a suitable replacement.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try and find a magnet or something to suck it up from wherever it fell too I guess, good luck!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Elliot_O Click here to enlarge
    Try and find a magnet or something to suck it up from wherever it fell too I guess, good luck!
    Yeah I've got a little telescoping magnet retriever thing that I was using. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removed the Plasti dip from my wheels with great success, without even removing the wheels.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular mylifeasbenjamin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DJM83 Click here to enlarge
    Removed the Plasti dip from my wheels with great success, without even removing the wheels.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Hey man,
    How was it as a wheel coating? I have literally just finished painting mine with the plasti dip..
    Cheers

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mylifeasbenjamin Click here to enlarge
    Hey man,
    How was it as a wheel coating? I have literally just finished painting mine with the plasti dip..
    Cheers
    It worked well mate, it was applied with a spray gun, did 4 passes with black, then 2 passes with metalizer. Then a couple of clear. One thing that did annoy me is it is hard to keep the shine up to em, brake dust easily beds into the coating. I should have taken a pic after it was removed the wheels were covered in dust.
    It held up well though, the wheels on my car can be a PITA to clean, you just need to be careful cleaning them as it has a tendency to peal away from edges if provoked.
    It was good while it lasted, ill be due for new rubber sometime soon so it was time to come off.

Make sure you apply plenty cause if you dont it will be a bitch to get off, even on mine whilst it was somewhat painless to remove there were some spots where it was thin.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contemplating if i should keep or scrap the turbo. Opened it up and the inlet impeller has made contact with the housing causing it to have a very very small lip. Unsure if it would effect performance or not. Theres no in and out play and the turbo wasnt blowing smoke when it was taken off the car so im told.

Heres some pics:

Housing

Click here to enlarge

Impeller

Click here to enlarge

Thoughts?
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any side to side movement? anyway I would say scrap it because if its done it once it will do it again, it would be bad to see all that work to turbo the car and that turbo fails and causes more damage to the motor then the turbo worth.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning to rebuild as there was lateral shaft play which is expected for a turbo from the early 90s Click here to enlarge more shaft play then id like but not enough to touch the wall from what i can see. Then again im not observing it at 100k rpm.

So far im thinking scrap over rebuild as the exhaust housing has some fairly lengthy cracks in it too which is expected on an old turbo but better to play it safe.

I liked this one particularly as the inlet housing rotates infinitely to any angle i want making it easy to adjust for the car.

Might look into a t25 garrett or even a t28.

Other thought is either a td04 or tf035 from a forrester but the housings are at wierd angles because boxer engine.
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can make the Corsa VXR K03 turbo manifold fit easy enough. I think Courtenay's do one that's been modified to use the Astra K04. Then again, I'd much prefer Garrett turbochargers, after seeing first hand what the K03s were like on the iLoad.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Thread Information