OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adelaide's Car Underworld

Did anyone else read this in the Sunday Mail today?

What does everyone think of it. Does anyone here go to any of these club cruises etc?

Click Here For Full Story from AdelaideNow Site

GANGS of hoons in their hundreds are seizing control of major Adelaide streets in the dead of night to run high-speed drag races and burnout competitions.

A Sunday Mail investigation has revealed a highly organised world of dangerous drivers who use vehicle road blocks and lookouts with CB radios to avoid interference from police.

Frustrated officers have admitted they are fighting a war against hoons, who regularly congregate in their hundreds to drag race and do burnouts in suburban areas.

Convoys of hoons - including two witnessed by the Sunday Mail - are moving from area to area - often over many hours and from south of the city to the north. Ordinary motorists who make it past sentries are often forced to swerve out the way of skidding cars and walls of smoke from lines of cars doing burnouts.

Police say it is only a matter of time until more lives are lost and they are now being trained to spot hi-tech illegal modifications as hoons become more cunning.

Supt Anthony Fioravanti, the officer in charge of Port Adelaide local service area, said illegal street racing and hoon behaviour was becoming more highly organised.

"It's well known that they use lookouts and text regularly to let each other know where police are," he said. "In the old days, you might have someone doing a burnout to show off in front of someone, but now people are actually leaving home with burnout tyres on the back of their car.

"There's no doubt what their intent is and that's to raise havoc and do big burnouts."

One of two car club cruises attended by the Sunday Mail ended with a major highway being taken over by up to 100 cars taking turns shredding tyres with burnouts and circle work.

The other led to a series of crashes as cars peeled out of suburban shopping centre car parks.

For the full story, click the above (also has a short video taken by the Sunday Mail)ink
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same as we copped up here years ago before the anti hoon laws came to be.
    fkn media hypein all the shit up.

was on a cruise last nite, 1st time in years on a sat nite hway cruise.
    n yeh there was like 100 odd cars, big deal (more cars on the hway in peak hr traffic, and driving slower. maybe we should call that a rolling blockade too). every1 was just chillin in a car park doin shit all, 1 idiot happened to leave n did a skid, after that the nite was stuffed 4 every1 due to unwanted attention obviously coming.

it does happen, but not like they say in this crap!!!
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on topic, some idiots at school do stuff like this all the time... makes you wonder if there should be some law preventing these morons from getting their licences?
    Last edited by Vectracious; 5th July 2009 at 10:23 PM.

2001 Opel Vectra B - Pioneer 12' sub, Head unit and Amplifier, 2.25 inch Cat-back system, hurricane extractors, Ram-air CAI, XHP JET Chrome 17" Wheels, Opelised, Front lip spoiler, Halo Projectors, KYB Shocks, King Springs

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HappySlapper82 Click here to enlarge
    "It's well known that they use lookouts and text regularly to let each other know where police are," he said. "In the old days, you might have someone doing a burnout to show off in front of someone, but now people are actually leaving home with burnout tyres on the back of their car.

LOL - people in Vic and NSW have been doing this for what - a decade??? Good to see the SA's have finally caught up! Click here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol not my words Click here to enlarge That's copied straight from the article.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HappySlapper82 Click here to enlarge
    Lol not my words Click here to enlarge That's copied straight from the article.
    yeah I know, just having a stir. Click here to enlarge

Love how the article dedicates what - 10 paragraphs to the police saying this and that and blah blah blah - and there is ONE two line paragraph right at the end where a member of a car club gets to say something..... Im sure she said more than just "we are enthusiasts, not hoons"

damn media.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the article, I thought the ironic thing was that of late the media here in SA has been having a go at the Jap turbo brigade as being the hoon element, yet in the pics the car are all seemingly Crappadores and the average morons that go with them!

Thread Information