Just thought I would share how to set up a basic media server using Windows vista and windows media player 11 ( Also works with Xp )

Now If you have a home network setup where as your gaming system and your pc are on the same private network , You can stream media from your pc to your games console , This is a great way to watch downloaded video files / music or your favorite pictures.

First step is to fire up your vista machine and run windows media player 11.

Right click in the bar at the top and select the dropdown menu "Tools" and go to "Options"

Now Click the "Library" tab - Inside this tab you will see "Configure sharing" - Click this.

Now click the checkbox "Share my media" Click ok and ok to any windows prompts.

Now a screen should pop up , You will have the options " share my media to" and "Find media that others are sharing" - Ensure that the "Share my media" box is checked.

Now go and switch on your PS3 or Xbox 360 , Let it load up , Now come back to your computer and you should see a popup in the media sharing screen that a device has been found.
Click allow and this will allow that device to access you media library on your pc.

You will see your computers name on the PS3 And the Xbox 360.
just go into it and you should be able to stream content from your pc to your gaming console of choice.

It's a pretty rough guide , But it works quite well , I have a media server system that is always on , and it can be accessed by any computer or Gaming console in my house on my network at any time.

If you have any questions or troubleshooting setting this up , Just ask and I will try my best to help you out.
Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!