Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quad Core CPU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always go to MSY, but NEVER go to browse haha its impossible really, you go in when you know what you want. Why would you want a quad core anyway? do you do some hardcore multi tasking, (media editing etc)? If its for gaming just go dual core, most games arent desgined for quad yet.
    "Grown men shouldn't have to buy other grown men birthday gifts unless they're f***ing" - Johnny 'Drama' Chase
    Click here to enlarge
    MY06 Subaru Impreza WRX; 2.5" Magnaflow Diff Back, Whiteline 22mm Adj. R.S.B, H&R Sport Springs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you want a Quad Core for? What are you going to do on it? I was looking at a Quad Core for my games machine....ended up going to Dual Core E6850...so i could match the ram speed to the CPU...mind you there really isn't anything out there at the moment that uses the extra Cores.
    Windows 7 will but thats it...no programs or games...waste of money IMHO...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly right Rocco
    "Grown men shouldn't have to buy other grown men birthday gifts unless they're f***ing" - Johnny 'Drama' Chase
    Click here to enlarge
    MY06 Subaru Impreza WRX; 2.5" Magnaflow Diff Back, Whiteline 22mm Adj. R.S.B, H&R Sport Springs

OpelAus Enthusiast JasonGilholme's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm looking at new cpu setup and have been looking at the i7 CPUs. I'm currently using one in my work machine and it works ok. Previously i've been using machines either running a Core 2 QUAD or a setup with 2 Core QUAD CPU's on the MB.

I'm leaning towards the i7 because most of the mother boards support DDR3 and have enough ram slots to fit 12 gig. I currently run 6 and fill it up pretty easily.

What are you using your machine for? if its just games etc i doubt you will get any benefit from it. Most games aren't threaded properly for multi cpu usage. and windows isn't great at it either.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your talking to me...I run a few Virtual machines...hence the reason for 8gb of DDR2. that would really be the only reason for a huge amount of ram and the quad core. Unless your doing graphic design and prefer not to use an Apple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh i see why you need the ram then. Virtual machines can be quite taxing.

I don't do graphic design. I work in film and TV. 3D animation, particle simulation, fluid simulation, rendering etc. All the software is optimised for windows/linux systems and is fully threaded. Hence the need for the extra cpu + ram.

Does anyone have any info on the i7 cpu's and how the compare to the quads? Or is this just another rehash of an old technology to try and generate sales?

Reason i ask is cause i can't see any different between the two and the price difference is pretty great 400 vs 1800 bucks. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    main thing, no front side bus on i7, it also combines the cpu and gpu into one chip (from memory)

i personally would just get a core2 quad
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    main thing, no front side bus on i7, it also combines the cpu and gpu into one chip (from memory)

i personally would just get a core2 quad
    oh really? no FSB? The gpu + cpu thing is a worry too. That may explain some UI rendering problems i have been having occasionally... (open GL/direct 3D related)

I'd have to agree with the core2 quad thing. I've never had problems running those chips.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yer its a strange setup, Glenn (gman) runs an i7 from memory.

i think its cause hes an ub3r n3rd Click here to enlarge

but my next machine will either be a core2 quad, or on of the new phenoms
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im on an E8500 Core 2 duo , runs solid at 4.2ghz and is more than enough to support high end gfx cards and image processing software.

From all of the benchmarks I have seen the performance per dollar of the i7 chips is not up to par at the moment.

If you guys are into 3d design and physics you should be looking more towards gpu isntead of cpu.

Thread Information