I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking at buying an Astra SRi Turbo

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend is in the market for a 06 up Astra Sri Turbo,
    - is there any differences between years?
    - things to look for? Common faults?

I've previously had a 2000 astra and my Gf had a barina Sri, both cars had problems with them. Do these new astras suffer from reliability problems?

My girlfriends current car is a 02 Honda Integra Type R
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thing with opels is if u dont look after them, they can be a pain.
    most the time there is very litlle issues when serviced right.

that being said, there are always some that have probs Click here to enlarge.
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    astras are shit cars.

hahaha jks jks

SRiT aye are fantastic cars mate, i got one and it goes hard

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Matt says is true; I could tell you I've had very few problems with either of my Astras (2002 CD 5dr Hatch, 2003 SRi-Turbo 3dr Hatch), but it doesn't actually mean you won't have any troubles Click here to enlarge. If you look after it, it should behave, unless you're unlucky enough to get a lemon. Obvious things, but check over the service history and warranty details and take a good look over everything.

There is one sad truth about Opels, and that is that buying genuine parts can be an incredibly expensive exercise.

If you have further specific questions, there are plenty of ppl here who will be able to help you out.

Good luck man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stick to the jap cars mate...ie honda, toyota
    Make me a sandwich.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tinkz Click here to enlarge
    Hey everyone,

My girlfriend is in the market for a 06 up Astra Sri Turbo,
    - is there any differences between years?
    - things to look for? Common faults?

I've previously had a 2000 astra and my Gf had a barina Sri, both cars had problems with them. Do these new astras suffer from reliability problems?

My girlfriends current car is a 02 Honda Integra Type R
    I've got an 06 Astra Turbo

From what i know, they're not reknown for major issues

Common issues to the Astra seem to be:

- Rear suspension bushes creaking on bumps/speed humps
    - The computer going into 'Accident mode'... occasionally turning on the indicators, unlocking the doors and leaving the interior light on (but as i said... rare)

It's an ok car... but I wouldn't say fantastic. Depends what you/your gf want out of it
    2006 Subaru WRX

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for some info guys

Things i dont like about Opels are that you have to change the timing belt and idler pulley kit every 60k kms, Brake discs and pads need changing every 40K kms.

Do the current Astras require frequent maintanence on parts which should last longer?

From my experience with my past two opels, Parts on the Opels dont seem to be made to last compared to Hondas and Toyotas.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had mine for 22k kms so far and no issues whatsoever. Timing belt is 60k though, don't know about much else - the online service price estimates don't show any unusually expensive service intervals (except 60k of course), but I haven't looked too hard in to them.

Would recommend them to anyone though - particularly with a remap (can be done at home with devices bought overseas, or locally).

I guess only criticism I would have is that in black they do get swirls too easily (soft paint), but this is probably more a trait of dark cars then astras in particular. And apparently honda's have the softest paint in the industry, so may still be an improvement anyway.

Massive tuning potential for them too, what with how long the engine's been available and numbers sold overseas.

EDIT: Thought I might mention most genuine parts for the car can be purchased cheaply overseas, from autovaux and the like. Many things for a tiny fraction what holden charge... (aesthetics like the chrome rings for the vxr front fog lights spring to mind).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not get newer shape integra cost about same, and its a honda, itll go and go and go + resale always good

its what i was going to get... 06 integra luxury
    -=Astra 2006=-
    Opelized - XHP 18" Chromes - Bolle Tints - Chrome Highlights - BeeSting Aerial - Piano Black Dash - Sunroof
    Full Leather Interior with Blue Stitching and Opel Logos - OPC Style Steering Wheel

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tinkz Click here to enlarge
    thanks for some info guys

Things i dont like about Opels are that you have to change the timing belt and idler pulley kit every 60k kms, Brake discs and pads need changing every 40K kms.

Do the current Astras require frequent maintanence on parts which should last longer?

From my experience with my past two opels, Parts on the Opels dont seem to be made to last compared to Hondas and Toyotas.
    The MY07 Sri-T only needs timing belt replacement every 120 000kms.

Thread Information