Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astra Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astra Diesel

Hi there,

I'm Richard, live in Sydney near Parramatta, and am looking for a new car for my wife to drive around in, and stumbled across the Astra diesel, as I have a diesel X-Trail as a work car, and love the way the diesels drive. She doesn't drive really far, so her 3L V6 Vienta is using a bit much fuel for my liking, and I thought we could get a smaller car, as mine is now what we use for holidays, etc.

We drove a My2006.5 Astra diesel manual on the weekend, and man, do they go! I would have to get used to the indicators, they are a bit odd! My wife didn't mind it either, so now we're waiting to see if the dealer rings back with a reasonable offer...

This one had 80,000 kms on it, when's the timing belt service due on these? Is there anything else I need to know or look for on it?

Thanks for the welcome.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Richard - 2006 AH CDTi Manual Astra - black with black tint and black Advanti Medusa 17" rims (wife's car) - Daughter has a white CDTi Manual too, we're suckers!
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 - Petrol guzzler!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g'day richard and welcome to the site

there are quite a few oil burners on here so i'm sure you'll get some useful replies shortly
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OpelAus Richard Click here to enlarge
    Old - Holden/Opel Astra G Vert
    Old - Audi A4 B5 1.8T Quattro
    New - VW Golf MkV GTI

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate!
    Here's hoping the dealer comes through with a good deal as it's a decision you won't regret! To transform the car further you can't go past the greenbox! (use the search function to check for reviews) and it just so happens my greenbox is up for sale Click here to enlarge if you're interested, just reply in here.
    As for the service interval, i'll check the manual today and get back to you Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome Richard!
    Servicing intervals are 15,000km. The belt is changed at 150,000km. That's what the user manual said, anyway.
    What you should look for when you check the car:
    * engine oil leaks
    * the engine doesn't smoke too bad under load and at all while cruising; not too bad means a puff of smoke at brutal gear change is acceptable; more than that normally means the EGR valve is dirty-ask for it to be cleansed if you can and try again.
    * have a look at the intake manifold's swirl actuator, check there for oil leaks and also check it is correctly positioned; there's a .pdf somewhere on the web that explains everything, I'll try and find it for you
    * check the gear box engages the first gear and the reverse easily
    * listen to the engine after you gave it a few minutes to warm up; sure it rattles but the sound should be "rounded" with no strange clatter whatsoever

I really don't know what else to say. These engines are extremely robust, I have read about CDTis with well over 100,000 miles that never had a problem. Mine is at almost 60,000 km now, driven with the green box on since it had 3,000km and never missed a beat. The gear box must be pretty solid (apparently rated at 450 Nm) since it works like brand new, despite my lead right foot and the green box that pumped the torque up to 400 Nm from the stock 320 Nm.

All in all, a fantastic little performer that gives you over 700 km on a 52 litre tank around the Metro area and up to 1,000 km when driven interstate. If you can afford it, buy a green box, it will transform a good car into a Golf GTI biting beast Click here to enlarge
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think the car is probably quick enough for my wife, but it was that much fun I would have to get out in it every now and then.

Thanks dieselhead for the heads up on what to look for under the bonnet. This is the one we're looking at:
    http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...rhome&__Nne=15

We'll see if they get back to us. It has a couple of light scratches from everyday usage, and a stone chip in the windscreen, but otherwise it's nice. The wheels look good on it too.
    Richard - 2006 AH CDTi Manual Astra - black with black tint and black Advanti Medusa 17" rims (wife's car) - Daughter has a white CDTi Manual too, we're suckers!

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cdti Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think the car is probably quick enough for my wife, but it was that much fun I would have to get out in it every now and then.
    Greenbox isn't just a power thing Click here to enlarge it also lowers your fuel economy...considerably too Click here to enlarge with my heavy right foot i still average 6.6L/100km, and you could de-tune it more, and tone the power down to get even better figures Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Richard. Looks like a nice car Click here to enlarge I hope the response from the dealer is positive!

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    failing that, mine's for sale..

look up the for sale section in this forum (also on carsales)

2008, manual, 11mths reg. 14,000Km's.

Good luck,with your purchase, it's a brilliant car. You wont be disappointed with the mix of performance and economy....
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by delemonte Click here to enlarge
    Welcome Richard. Looks like a nice car Click here to enlarge I hope the response from the dealer is positive!
    The dealer response was OK, but my wife is on her way to pick it up now.

Replaced her 1996 Toyota Vienta with 130,000 kms that had one week of rego left and needed two tyres to get there, so this is a pretty good outcome. I'll post some pics when it's home and it stops raining.

Thread Information