Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyres and opinions...

Okay...just doing some scoping on wheel and tyre packages over the past few weeks and just getting prices from everywhere.

I was pretty set on Yoko A539's but was given a suggestion to go for Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2.
    Anyone have any opinions or better knowledge of these, good/bad/ugly/pretty...good for a perve?
    http://www.goodyear.com.au/showtyreg...=0000000151023

Have been thinking of other tyres but I tend to be a "go with what you know" type of guy.

Also throw any other suggestions at me.

Looking at 215/40 17's in size.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Nick

MY03 - Astra SRi - Black...Sleek...

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prices on both?
    Phase 1 - Bodykit, Alloys and Lowered --- COMPLETED ---
    Phase 2 - Colour-Coding, Exhuast ---COMPLETED ---

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADdAhMYDMLwM4Bq6X8djNQbmXfBsbxEq0ZWhV2w*xLz5XxZn xfp9ojXXq8LVtgTtdkpTxVIH3anHc*gTNzGKUOyKXHey4AFj53 1J4dJnj21mkTwHgfK7w/opelauscom.gif?dc=4675499169725408923[/img]

Anonymous
    go the gsd-2's 8)

i got mine at 190 each fitted for 215/45/17, very good tyre imho....

the thing u need to look at though, is your weight index/weight rating which i believe needs to be i think 87/88 from memory..... notice that the gsd2's weight rating is only 83, hence making goodyear gsd2 215/40's illegal/defectable

i didnt do much reasearch on 215/40's, but im 80% sure that the only tyre that is 215/40 and is upto the right weight index is the dunlops which the turbos come with, which are hell expensive, if you found another tyre other than dunlop, i'm sure it would be still pretty pricey....

my bottom line... be sure to investigate they weight rating...... i ended up taking the gsd2 215/45's, if your car is lowered, then i suggest you don't go for the 215/45's, cos mine scrub pretty badly at the rear with them on

if your not fussed about weight ratings, go the goodyears 8)

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No...just opinions on tyres. Price is not a huge concern. Obviously not going to spend huge amounts so looking at about $250 a tyre. AT MOST!

Samvac - Yeah - 87.
    Nick

MY03 - Astra SRi - Black...Sleek...

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nick, I just upgraded 2 tyres on the Vectra to Yoko's A539 and found them superb compared to the Stock Dunlop Monza 200's it came with.

Much less understeer in the wet and the Traction Control light comes on rarely, whereas before the Monzas would sit there and spin all day.

They are also quieter. They just don't have a very pretty tread pattern.... :P
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got GoodYear RevSpec... it's made in Japan
    Pretty happy with it, very quiet and good grip.
    Got it for about $210 each, it's 205/55/16

Used to have stock Dunlop Monza 200, they're sucks!!!

Told from tyre place don't get Michelin, they're hard compound...

If u want good tyre, quiet and soft, go for Bridgestone Turanza or Potenza, problem is they're expensive... I've been told they'll cost more than $300 each for 17's for Potenza
    02 Vectra Equipe

OpelAus Forum Addict InsaneAsylum's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a combination of goodyear F1's and Pirelli P6000's in 215/45/17

goodyears were alright in the dry and wet... pirellis aquaplane a bit if you hit big puddles. they don't seem to handle so well in the wet. personally I don't like the pirellis in the wet.

i've heard A539's to be great although I wonder if they still make them?

what get's me is there are an abundance of 235/45/17 tyres being made of various qualities and prices, however you can only seem to get 215/45/17 in the big brand names which come with big price tags!!

would love falken azenis semi-comp, price is high and life is short, but they're supposed to grip like superglue. friend of mine cut a few hundreth's of a second off his quarter time after replacing tyres with azenis.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    weight rating - defective as it may seem - stock tyres simply came of a much heigher rating. do the math and you'll find that the car will never reach that weight. checked with insurance. they said sweet no problem.

look at the sri. it is heavier than the city astra yet has lower weight rating tyres.

in regards to degen-astra's initial q - yokos are superb. experience is that it becomes shoddy as it wears. few months in and you'll have average tyres, if not below. the rubber simply doesn't stand up to use.

currently running gs-d2s. work well. not as good as new but neither far off. works exceptionally well in the wet. noise is not a problem as people report - they were in different cars anyway. tread pattern design makes the tyre look bigger than it should - 15" d2s would make the 15" rims look more ~14".

for the money you spend the d2s are a better buy, longer lasting and perform better.

ps. got mine GS-D2 $150 each. are 16" as well.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yokohama - AVS ES100 8)

They don't make the V102's in 15" so, I'll opt for these!
    They make the V102's in 17" Though - so do some research into these, Degen!

Edit: Just checked - V102's not avail in 215/40/17 (ES100 are though)

http://www.yokohama.com.au/Tyres/Cat...p?CategoryID=2

I'll be slapping the ES100's on the astra before winter I'd say.
    The Standard Dunlops are F*&#in S(#&#thouse - Understeer and squeel like a pig! :x
    BMW E21, Holden Astra, Viva & Monaro

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    degen-astra if you are willing to spend the full $200+ as you mentioned. the michelin pilot precedas are ace. without doubt the best of them all and very much suited for the euro passenger car astra.

Thread Information