Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g'day smiley and welcome to the site

tidy looking veccy you have there
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA
    You'll find most of what you need on here. If not, just ask.
    :: OpelAus Senior Moderator ::
    :: OLD: 2000 Opel Corsa B 1.4 - Old info here - 48.7kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Corsa C SRi - Old info here - 84.8kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Astra SRiT - 182.3kw atw
    :: Daily: 2001 E46 BMW 325Ci Coupe – 2.5L 5spd Manual
    :: Project: 1983 AE71 Toyota Corolla CS-X - not sure what to do yet... ::

www.pauljakubicki.com
    facebook.com/PaulJakubickiPhotography
    Event Photographer/Writer for SpeedNation.com.au

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    theres actually very lil dif in the power to weight ratio of the 2.2 and the 2.5. and the 2.2 does hold onto its power better... Click here to enlarge

power to weight is almost the same
    its the torque the 6's put out baby
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2002_XC Click here to enlarge
    starfish bed hog Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice Smiley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, didn't expect this many responses in just a day haha.

Well, to answer most of your questions so that you may answer mine;

I'm from South Brisbane, Queensland and I'm 17 years old.

Firstly I'd like to start by saying I don't wanna make my car a super charged uberless ultimate flying vehicle of awesomeness, just yet. I'd like to just make it look, and sound nice for the time being, until I can gather some more coins to take it to the next level.

First thing's first. I've got this weird whining noise that comes off my car when the engine's on. I've asked around and some people are saying that it's the fact that I've just replaced the timing belt a few months ago, and it just needs some wearing in. Others say that it's meant to sound like that and will never go away. And the rest say that it sounds sick and needs a doctor. The whining noise sounds like this.
    wEEEEEEeeeEE... Nah just joking lol, here's a link;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UFGGV5BL

Second thing's second, I'd like to get a body kit installed on my car. Now, I've heard that body kit's for Vectra's (especially my model( Vectra JS series 11)) are extremely hard to find. I've already tried contacting one guy up north side, and he said that Vectra body kits were one thing he couldn't get. I've searched on this site and found one really nice looking Vectra, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same model as I own. Does anyone know where I could get one, or if it's possible to have the custom made? I was also looking at getting new tail lights and stuff, but I'm not sure whether what I should get first - does it really matter?

The same goes for getting a new muffler. I wanted to get my car just to sound a lil more aggressive lol. I think my friend mentioned something about a resonator, but as I mentioned before, I can't tell the difference between the left and right indicator.

Umm, another thing too, someone mentioned that if I do get a body kit, don't get one that's too low, so that I can lower it, and not have to drive extra slow over speed bumps - What's your guys opinions?

Oh and I was looking at getting some new rims, but I think I should be able to muster that up myself. =]

I think I went overboard with that "question" I was going to ask, so just move the post if it's inappropriate here lol.

Thanks anyway guys, very much appreciated.

=)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    timing belt could be too tight.
    did you replace the water pump at the same time?
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gday matey and welcome to the site.

When they were new, you could option a "Holden By Design" body kit that consisted of a different front valance (lower bumper), skirts, wing, and an "under-wing" rear spoiler. I'm reasonably sure this was all made by Talon, who are one company that did make body kits for the Vec and have them here down under. As you said, they're very hard to come by - you can't get them new and the only time I see them are once in a blue moon when they pop up on eBay (I was lucky enough to get some side skirts that way).

Dannilicious, a user on here, has gone down the other track for kitting a Vectra and has had parts custom made. She'll tell you how much that was, but I'm guessing it wasn't the cheapest thing in the world.

As far as engine mods go, The best power/$ mod you can make initially is Auzvectra's remap. Lucky for you, he lives here in Brisbane. The gains from that differ, but I think the best he's got from a N/A is something like a 12% kW increase.

If you want to work on your exhaust, be prepared to shop around a lot because the rarity of the Vectras (in the modding world at least) means that a lot of shops have never dealt with them before and will charge you some ridiculous price. A catback system will give you more exhaust sound, and you'll get one of those for between $650 and $1000. If you want to go the whole hog and get some power gains, a 4-2-1 extractor back exhaust will probably be at least $1500 installed. (You'd need to reasearch it though, I have on one occasion seen Extractors for the Vectra on eBay sell for about $160).

Lastly, and most importantly, I don't know what your family's car history has been, but if you've never had anything to do with Vectras (or Calibras) before remember this; KEEP MONEY ASIDE FOR MAINTENANCE. As nice a car as they are when running well, the Vectra can be a real bitch on things breaking. Typically something is going wrong, has gone wrong, or has just been fixed after going wrong. Most of the money I've spent on my car has been to maintain it.

Common things to watch for are;

• Watch that the Idle Control Valve does not clog (this will cause your car to idle roughly and stall)
    • Change the timing chain sooner rather then later. Most people change at 80,000km intervals, although I'd probably recommend 70 as you don't want to have to rebuild your head (it'll almost cost more then the car's worth)
    • Watch the engine and gearbox mounts around 175,000km. This is when they needed to be replaced on mine
    • Watch for oil leaks from under the rocker cover (the top cover of the engine that encloses the black Ecotec cover). The rocker cover is of poor design, and can leak easily. If it happens I reccomend buying a new gasket off ebay, then heading down to a local garage (not a holden dealer) and gettting them to fit it with a silicone sealant).
    • Watch for groans from the steering. The rack is naturally heavy, even with power steering. However, groans indicate that the CV joints are on the way out or that the rack is bent or something similar

Anyway all bad stuff aside, just remember that it's a great idea to find a local mechanic who knows how to work on a Vectra. Holden charges ridiculous prices, and as I'm a student myself I know that you don't wanna pay heaps for something someone else could do for a third of the price.

Good Luck and ask lots of questions. Chances are either Nuggz, Auzvectra, Shay, HappySlapper, Myself or other Vectra history owners will know a good answer.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by auzvectra Click here to enlarge
    I'd tend to agree with that; it sounds like something's trying to spin but it has a heap of lateral pressure on it, which would be consistent with your chain (it's a chain on the 2.2 not a belt I believe) going too hard around the idler pulley or pump wheel.

Who changed your chain?
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

I'm new here, please be nice Smiley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by auzvectra Click here to enlarge
    The car is relatively new, and to my knowledge the water pump hasn't been changed yet. The car has only done around 90k's :S

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jerram Click here to enlarge
    ...you can't get them new and the only time I see them are once in a blue moon when they pop up on eBay (I was lucky enough to get some side skirts that way)....
    Ah ok, do you think it's possible that, say, a bodykit made for a different type of Vectra, could be altered to fit mine? Or would it be cheaper just to keep an eye on ebay?

Dannilicious, a user on here, has gone down the other track for kitting a Vectra and has had parts custom made. She'll tell you how much that was, but I'm guessing it wasn't the cheapest thing in the world.
    Yeah I noticed her car, looks mint as, but I don't think I've got that kinda money right now. Well maybe, hopefully it wasn't like 5k or something haha.

As far as engine mods go, The best power/$ mod you can make initially is Auzvectra's remap. Lucky for you, he lives here in Brisbane. The gains from that differ, but I think the best he's got from a N/A is something like a 12% kW increase.
    I'm not too sure if I wanna get more outta my engine, but that doesn't sound too bad, where can I find this remap? (I just tried searching and it led me back to this topic lol. Unless you're refereing to something else in car slang, then I have no clue what you're talking about haha.)

If you want to work on your exhaust, be prepared to shop around a lot because the rarity of the Vectras (in the modding world at least) means that a lot of shops have never dealt with them before and will charge you some ridiculous price. A catback system will give you more exhaust sound, and you'll get one of those for between $650 and $1000. If you want to go the whole hog and get some power gains, a 4-2-1 extractor back exhaust will probably be at least $1500 installed. (You'd need to reasearch it though, I have on one occasion seen Extractors for the Vectra on eBay sell for about $160).
    What kind of sound should I be expecting from those two types of exhausts you're talking about? Is it more of a rasp noise or like a gurgle? Because I'm kinda in the mood for some gurgling lol.

Lastly, and most importantly, I don't know what your family's car history has been, but if you've never had anything to do with Vectras (or Calibras) before remember this; KEEP MONEY ASIDE FOR MAINTENANCE. As nice a car as they are when running well, the Vectra can be a real bitch on things breaking. Typically something is going wrong, has gone wrong, or has just been fixed after going wrong. Most of the money I've spent on my car has been to maintain it.

Common things to watch for are;

• Watch that the Idle Control Valve does not clog (this will cause your car to idle roughly and stall)
    • Change the timing chain sooner rather then later. Most people change at 80,000km intervals, although I'd probably recommend 70 as you don't want to have to rebuild your head (it'll almost cost more then the car's worth)
    • Watch the engine and gearbox mounts around 175,000km. This is when they needed to be replaced on mine
    • Watch for oil leaks from under the rocker cover (the top cover of the engine that encloses the black Ecotec cover). The rocker cover is of poor design, and can leak easily. If it happens I reccomend buying a new gasket off ebay, then heading down to a local garage (not a holden dealer) and gettting them to fit it with a silicone sealant).
    • Watch for groans from the steering. The rack is naturally heavy, even with power steering. However, groans indicate that the CV joints are on the way out or that the rack is bent or something similar
    Well we bought the car relatively new, second hand and there wasn't much wrong with it, but I guess as all things, when they get older, they need a lil more taking care of, so yeah thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it.

I'd tend to agree with that; it sounds like something's trying to spin but it has a heap of lateral pressure on it, which would be consistent with your chain (it's a chain on the 2.2 not a belt I believe) going too hard around the idler pulley or pump wheel.

Who changed your chain?
    I think my Vectra is a belt, because I remember my dad mentioning it a couple of times.
    :: Yep, just asked, it's a belt lol. We got it changed at one of our local mechanics (not some back door fella, I hope lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site mate!

...Dannilicious, a user on here, has gone down the other track for kitting a Vectra and has had parts custom made. She'll tell you how much that was, but I'm guessing it wasn't the cheapest thing in the world...

Nah Danni imported hers from the UK. She only had minor modifications done to it here Click here to enlarge
    _
    _ mods _ opelised _ 17" advanti medusa's _ slotted front and rear rotors _ whiteline rear sway bar _ k&n panel filter _ ice install _
    _ facelift headlights _ window tint _ de-rubstripped _ smoked indicators and rear fogs _ stubby aerial _

Click here to enlarge

_ click here for the barina car club of australia _

Thread Information