Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about emissions warning light

G'day Everyone.

The title of the thread probably gives me away. I don't know much about these cars. My wife's 2002 Astra is reluctantly my first fuel injected car. I'd have put it off for ever. A topic for another thread maybe.

The car hardly does any Ks so I let the extended warranty lapse as I was sick of paying for services every 5000km at the most. The car has done 40000km and just as I am investigating oils etc in order to venture under the plastic engine cover for the first time, this light comes up on the dash.

It's the emissions symbol. Here's a quote from the manual:
    Emissions
    Your car is fitted with an emissions monitoring system.
    The emission warning symbol indicates when system service is required.
    The symbol lights when the ignition is switched ON and goes out shortly after the engine starts to run.
    If the symbol lights up when driving, service to the emission system may be required.
    Although the car may still be drivable and not require towing, see your Holden retailer as soon as possible.
    However, if the symbol flashes while driving, reduce speed until the light stops flashing and take the car to a Holden retailer as soon as possible.
    I have no intention of taking this car to a "Holden retailer", so I am hoping someone here may have experienced this before. My best guess is the catalytic converter, but I don't want to replace it only to have the light come up still.

I'm sorry I can't bring a weath of knowledge to the forum, but I suppose someone has to ask the questions. Perhaps it'll be a useful reference for others in the future.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be planty of diff things, inc bad fuel also.
    where abouts r u, the only real way is to read the codes from the ecu with a code scanner, many members have them now Click here to enlarge.
    is it a X18XE or Z18XE engine?
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Auzvectra

The light has gone away. I'll be happy enough to go with the bad fuel idea, or pretty much anything that suggests to forget about it until it comes back. New cars - bloody hell.

Thanks again, hopefully it'll never come back.

OpelAus Forum Regular Corsa_Rob's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you've said above i'm under the impression you don't service the car? Might help if you take it to a mechanic (other than holden) just to check your emissions system, just to sure, you don't want anything more serious to go wrong in the future.
    Spearmint Silver MY05 Corsa 1.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its not flashing you should be fine, there are 2 sencors in the exhaust system from leaving the engine.

In the XC I had these moved when I installed a after market system, there was a fault in one of the sensors when i went over a bump it came on, when I when over another bump it would turn its self off. When it was scanned by Holden they told me to return the cat to its origonal position. Witch I did not do. unless its flashing you have nothing to worrie about. remember emissions laws are alot more regulated in the EU
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sssdriver Click here to enlarge
    God bless hoons, without them tying up police resources my methlab would have been raided aeons ago!:uhh:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, I'm very new here and I joined to maybe get some more info on just this topic. Last year - 2007- my 2001 jsII 2.6v6 vectra had the same light come on, and we left it alone because the car was still working fine- but- suddenly it went into "limp home mode" and so we took it to a Holden dealer (where it was bought and serviced all it's life) for diagnosing...guess what? they had no idea!! After the following it was OK:
    1- remove cat conv. to check for blockage- none.
    2- check exhaust O2 sensors- 2 in left bank black and replaced at $1000/ set. (!)
    3- Removed intake manifold to check spark plugs- 3 in left bank black so replaced all 6 (were 2 months old)
    4- suggested that coil could be at fault- replaced $400 coil pack left bank.
    5- engine back together, problem still persisting
    6- ECU guy called in- ECU fine, guy suggests may be mass airflow sensor on intake- found second hand unit
    7- After 2 weeks in the workshop and a $3000 bill later (!!!!!) car runs sweet again- for 8 months and light is back on again.....

Can anyone offer any insight on this? It seems, according to a mate who works at the Holden factory, they bring in cars from wherever and leave the servicing up to trial and error by the dealer network- and guess what? the dealer network don't talk to each other when they find these little gems.
    I was wondering if a simple $25 pod filter mod might help if anyone knows?Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt Click here to enlarge
    Hey all, I'm very new here and I joined to maybe get some more info on just this topic. Last year - 2007- my 2001 jsII 2.6v6 vectra had the same light come on, and we left it alone because the car was still working fine- but- suddenly it went into "limp home mode" and so we took it to a Holden dealer (where it was bought and serviced all it's life) for diagnosing...guess what? they had no idea!! After the following it was OK:
    2- check exhaust O2 sensors- 2 in left bank black and replaced at $1000/ set. (!)
    3- Removed intake manifold to check spark plugs- 3 in left bank black so replaced all 6 (were 2 months old)
    6- ECU guy called in- ECU fine, guy suggests may be mass airflow sensor on intake- found second hand unit
    7- After 2 weeks in the workshop and a $3000 bill later (!!!!!) car runs sweet again- for 8 months and light is back on again.....

Can anyone offer any insight on this? It seems, according to a mate who works at the Holden factory, they bring in cars from wherever and leave the servicing up to trial and error by the dealer network- and guess what? the dealer network don't talk to each other when they find these little gems.
    I was wondering if a simple $25 pod filter mod might help if anyone knows?Click here to enlarge

Have a look for the paper clip test on this forum or on www.vvoc.com
    see if u can get the current error codes. its a start in the right direction
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2002_XC Click here to enlarge
    starfish bed hog Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers! I'll do that before I take it to my NON GMH mechanic this week.

Regards,

Matt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge WTF
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CNBLU Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge WTF
    means call autovaux next time
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2002_XC Click here to enlarge
    starfish bed hog Click here to enlarge