Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 30cents per/ltr difference was in the original posted article, not our current pricing here...

In that article, it was clearly stated though, that - that was the main thing which made diesels 'not make sense' however if the price of diesel remained on par with petrol or below as it once was, then diesels have a much better justification, despite the higher purchase cost...it also depends on travelled distance, if your a low km's traveller then again, the diesels may not end up costing you less to run than the equivalant petrol model...

That's the general jist of the article that I got from it anyways Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    According to the EPA in US, if only one third of cars and transport vehicles would be diesel in the land of the free, the daily fuel use would drop by 1.5 million barrels/day. Bare in mind the total world production is at about 82 million/day. Does THAT make any sense? Click here to enlarge
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    According to the EPA in US, if only one third of cars and transport vehicles would be diesel in the land of the free, the daily fuel use would drop by 1.5 million barrels/day. Bare in mind the total world production is at about 82 million/day. Does THAT make any sense? Click here to enlarge
    or they could just cover the usa in a giant glass dome Click here to enlarge
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess the financial market collapse there will reduce CO2 emissions more than 15 Kyoto treaties Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    well there's a hole in that theory

a lot of their fleet are big heavy Pickup trucks with big guzzling V8 motors. If you compare them to current smaller/turbo efficient diesel engines (and thats probably what the EPA did as well), then the difference is going to be exaggerated.

Not saying that its not a valid point on its own merits, but you can't really use that example when discussing small efficient petrol engines compared to small efficient diesel engines.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you really think the yanks would scrap their SUVs and pick-ups and jump in Puntos and Polos? Common...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it does...for the enviroment etc. etc. etc. Click here to enlarge

But that dosn't mean it'll directly translate to a saving in car running costs for the average person, again in relation to the discussed points in that article Click here to enlarge

If that would however have the effect of dropping the World fuel prices (especially diesel) then yes, but the diesel price would have to either remain on par or be below petrol pricing, for the average end user to benifit.

Not trying to pick, I can see where your leading with the above, just trying to relate it all back to the original topic to see whether that article by that VW spokesman has any merit or not... Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you really think the yanks would scrap their SUVs and pick-ups and jump in Puntos and Polos? Common...
    of course not - just giving my opinion on that EPA study....

Although if their petrol keeps climbing (they complain about $4/Gal - ****in whingers) - you might see the same thing that's happening here.... I mean..who would have thought a Corolla would have beaten Australia's favourite son's - Commodore and Falcon?????
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WA Fuelwatch...

Best Prices available from 6am today Thursday 02 October 2008
    Product Metro Average
    Diesel 167.8
    98 RON 164.0
    PULP 159.3
    ULP 152.0

Sydney prices today (Thursday)
    Average
    Diesel 164.7, ulp 156.4
    Lowest
    Diesel 156.9 ulp 141.9

Of course Sydneysiders would know that Thursday is out of the normal cyclic petrol price lowpoint (mon-tues). Diesel does not have as intensive discounting.

For instance
    For Wednesday in Sydney the averageprices were
    Sydney ULP 144.2 Diesel 164.8

For interest sake....

Lowest price for ULP in LA (USA) = 3.39/gallon, diesel = 3.79 gallon. Or just over 10% difference.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We're not even talking about ULP though, in all the current motors you have to use at least 95. Click here to enlarge
    We get it RJ, you don't like diesels....but the crap you post that pours into these threads is almost as annoying as the diesel rattle you so hate Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information