Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traction Control / (ESP) Light Issue

Hi everyone, I have had my Astra G SRi-T for almost 2 months now and up untill now haven't had any problems. Yesterday while driving in wet weather the traction contol came on and done its job as usual with the light flashing in the dash, it then went off and everything was fine. Later on while driving normally and no loss of traction I noticed that the light on the dash was permanently on and the traction conrol was no longer working. It then came good once the car had been off and then re-started, it again then did the exact same thing, worked fine and then the light came up and was no longer working. Today I was driving normally and the light came up again on the dash. Reading through the Holden owners manual suggests that there is a fault in the system when the light stays on. I've done a search of the threads and haven't really found much other than a few people saying it swithces itself off when there is too much power and wheel spin because the ECU doesn't know how to control it and gets confused. I don't see how this can be the case if the car is stock.

If anyone could help me out and let me know what the problem is or how it can be fixed please post away. Cheers.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    plenty of guys in the uk have this problem and they relate it back to the AFM. Sometimes they get both abs and tc lights on at the same time.

I had this same problem as you only just after i had a wheel alignment done, but i narrowed it down to the steering wheel not being aligned straight. Took it back and made them check the sensors where plugged in and the light went away.
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CNBLU Click here to enlarge
    plenty of guys in the uk have this problem and they relate it back to the AFM. Sometimes they get both abs and tc lights on at the same time.

I had this same problem as you only just after i had a wheel alignment done, but i narrowed it down to the steering wheel not being aligned straight. Took it back and made them check the sensors where plugged in and the light went away.
    Thanks CNBLU, I've also read on other threads that it might be related to the AFM, I hope not, doubt they would be cheap to replace. Would a Tech2 be able to identifiy the exact cause? Funny you mentioned the wheel alignment as I got one done yesterday, but the problem first occured before I got it done so it cant be the cause.

If any one else has any other suggestions please post away. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we still havent had any afm failures ib aus but i dont think.
    many of us have had this prob, some come and go.
    there is a faulty earth in the wireing harness that is the common cause.
    i've been told there is a bad splice from many small earth wires to a couple of larger earth wires in the harness just to the lower left of the battery.
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by auzvectra Click here to enlarge
    we still havent had any afm failures ib aus but i dont think.
    many of us have had this prob, some come and go.
    there is a faulty earth in the wireing harness that is the common cause.
    i've been told there is a bad splice from many small earth wires to a couple of larger earth wires in the harness just to the lower left of the battery.
    Thanks mate, i'm going to disconnect the battery over night as I heard this can clear up issues with the ECU. Hopefully this might sort out my problem.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have this issue.

Having any fault codes cleared or a wheel alignment generally sort it out for a while!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trgsiguy Click here to enlarge
    I also have this issue.

Having any fault codes cleared or a wheel alignment generally sort it out for a while!
    I've had the wheel alignment done, but how do I clear fault codes?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need a fault code scanner or tech 2 to clear them. where about r u located?
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too used to have this problem (I think I started a thread here about it too). Used to happen when driving Sydney to Canberra on the highway but went away once my ECU was reflashed with the higher performance map...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Z20LET Click here to enlarge
    Hi everyone, I have had my Astra G SRi-T for almost 2 months now and up untill now haven't had any problems. Yesterday while driving in wet weather the traction contol came on and done its job as usual with the light flashing in the dash, it then went off and everything was fine. Later on while driving normally and no loss of traction I noticed that the light on the dash was permanently on and the traction conrol was no longer working. It then came good once the car had been off and then re-started, it again then did the exact same thing, worked fine and then the light came up and was no longer working. Today I was driving normally and the light came up again on the dash. Reading through the Holden owners manual suggests that there is a fault in the system when the light stays on. I've done a search of the threads and haven't really found much other than a few people saying it swithces itself off when there is too much power and wheel spin because the ECU doesn't know how to control it and gets confused. I don't see how this can be the case if the car is stock.

If anyone could help me out and let me know what the problem is or how it can be fixed please post away. Cheers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by auzvectra Click here to enlarge
    you need a fault code scanner or tech 2 to clear them. where about r u located?
    auzvectra, i'm in Melbourne. I did purchase a USB tech 2 off a guy through ebay, but it didn't seem to want to communicate with my laptop. Maybe it was windows Vist that was having the communication issues or maybe it was simply the product and the software that came with it. He said if I got the other tech 2 that he had that used a different kind of port other than USB that it would definately work. Doesn't matter I got my money back, although I would love to have one of the devices that works.

I've done a bit of searching through threads and people are saying its either the AFM which I dont think is the cause as the engine is running smooth and ideling fine, and no difference in fuel consumption, plus the car only has 32000km on it and I cant see an AFM shi**ing itself that earlie. And the other common cause were the sensors in the wheels hubs, but when they were the problem the ABS light was coming up on the dash aswell, not just the traction light. It seems that this is a very common problem with the Astra G. Its driving me crazy. If anyone has any suggestions please post away. Cheers

Thread Information