Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its the turbo i think they are talking about (which is approx 195kw/360nm) it should be successful, just tune it so it would produce more power/torque at lower revs (why does a family car need a 6.5k redline?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roquefort Click here to enlarge
    if its the turbo i think they are talking about (which is approx 195kw/360nm) it should be successful, just tune it so it would produce more power/torque at lower revs (why does a family car need a 6.5k redline?)
    like the wrx sti, u could tune it to produce 400nm..more than the current v6 I think.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think Holden is forgetting how much the VE weighs, surely a 4cyl turbo will use a heck of alot of fuel trying to push all that weight, V6 does it more efficiently!!! Just like the 4 cyl Camry, ridiculous on fuel unless driven by a grandma (as most are)!!!!

V6 turbo, now there's a freakin idea, look how well the XR6T is doing!!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57 Click here to enlarge
    I think Holden is forgetting how much the VE weighs, surely a 4cyl turbo will use a heck of alot of fuel trying to push all that weight, V6 does it more efficiently!!! Just like the 4 cyl Camry, ridiculous on fuel unless driven by a grandma (as most are)!!!!

V6 turbo, now there's a freakin idea, look how well the XR6T is doing!!!

i dont think number of cylinders and capacity has anything to do with it, look at the golf TSFI or what ever it is, same if more power then the standard fsi but better fuel economy, but correct me if im wrong.
    hell even if they had a 2.4 turbo with 180 kw and 400nm, i think it would be better then the current boat anchor in the commo.

but what holden really needs to do is cut some weight from the near 1800kg base commo and start investing in some weight saving materials, 1650< kg would a good target

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by low astra Click here to enlarge
    wasn't there 4cyl comodores in the 80's, like maybe vc or something???
    Yes, already mentioned previous page Click here to enlarge

And like I've already said - they were a total piece of shit !!!
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Yes, already mentioned previous page Click here to enlarge

And like I've already said - they were a total piece of shit !!!
    LOL 1.9l powerhouse with that silky smooth 3 spd auto pushing 1400kg, what's so bad???

Current:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mazda has done the same stupid thing recently also by sticking the MPS 6 2.3litre turbo and dropping that straight into the CX7. Seemed like all their problems were solved, except for the fact that it had poorer mileage than the Territory, which was one of its direct competitors.

Further proves the point that 4 cylinders don't like pulling fattys

Mazda failed (yet my parents bought one anyway) :doh:
    Holden, take note from others and don't do the same stupid stuff as them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roquefort Click here to enlarge
    i dont think number of cylinders and capacity has anything to do with it, look at the golf TSFI or what ever it is, same if more power then the standard fsi but better fuel economy, but correct me if im wrong.
    hell even if they had a 2.4 turbo with 180 kw and 400nm, i think it would be better then the current boat anchor in the commo.

but what holden really needs to do is cut some weight from the near 1800kg base commo and start investing in some weight saving materials, 1650< kg would a good target
    I don't think the turbo 2.0TSFI has better economy than the N/A...where's the info on that ???

Steve is correct in what he stated in his post !

A very good example is my TS turbo convertible at 1420kg or so, I get "NO WHERE NEAR" the consumption figures the hatch owners get with the same Z20LET with the same mods !!! and that was with the stock wheels when I did my comparisons, whether it be grandma highway cruising or spirited driving...the obvious culprit is the greater weight !!!

Now imagine adding another 3-400kg on top of that !!! starting to get the picture ???

Another good example is the new Evo 10...it weighs in at 1,580kg with the SST trans option, (225kw 2.0ltr DI) from figures I've seen on the U.S Evo 10 forum those guys are struggling to get anywhere over 20mpg whatever way they drive it !!!

If you do the math that's approx. 14.12ltrs/100km - hardly efficient...my HSV VTII R8 250kw 5.7ltr LS1 powered 1,720kg auto Commodore could do alot better than that, I would average 14-16ltrs/100km with quite a bit of spirited driving in there !!!

A car in the size/weight class of the current Commodore would definitely be better off with a highly efficient bigger displacement N/A engine, these proposals of smaller forced inducted engines keep coming up, IMO simply as marketing hype, because the normal Joe Blow out there will simply think or have a perception, that because it's a smaller engine it'll consume less...but it's not necessarily the case Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carab Click here to enlarge
    Mazda has done the same stupid thing recently also by sticking the MPS 6 2.3litre turbo and dropping that straight into the CX7. Seemed like all their problems were solved, except for the fact that it had poorer mileage than the Territory, which was one of its direct competitors.

Further proves the point that 4 cylinders don't like pulling fattys

Mazda failed (yet my parents bought one anyway) :doh:
    Holden, take note from others and don't do the same stupid stuff as them.
    Yet another good example - I can't see why this isn't plainly obvious to people, especially if they've ever owned a turbo car and then compared it to other N/A types - all factors considered... Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    If you do the math that's approx. 14.12ltrs/100km - hardly efficient...my HSV VTII R8 250kw 5.7ltr LS1 powered 1,720kg auto Commodore could do alot better than that, I would average 14-16ltrs/100km with quite a bit of spirited driving in there !!!
    Click here to enlarge
    Yep, i got a similar LS1 powered car and can do 8-9l/100km on the highway and 11-12l/100km in normal city driving, it's currently does 14l/100km because i sit 2 hours each day in stop/start traffic (love the Monash fwy) and once out of that, spends the rest of it's time in very 'sprited' driving!!!

The motor has to match the cars weight and also what it needs to do!!

Good example i have, driven an X3 2.5i for the last week, absolutely babying it and best i could do was 12.7l/100km, was hovering around 14l/100km, same as my V8 being driven hard with 1/3 of the power but similar weight!!!

I doubt Holden will go ahead with a turbo 4 in the Commodore, maybe in a smaller rwd platform aka Torana but not in the big family sedan!!

Current:

Thread Information