Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 Astra - I think we should all start getting excited

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...astra-vxr.html

THE wraps are off the hottest Astra ever! In a world exclusive, Auto Express can reveal the high-performance version of Vauxhall’s new family car – the eagerly anticipated Astra VXR.

Taking over from the current model – one of the most ferocious hot hatches in its class – the flagship is even more aggressive. It has a rakish look and a raft of new technology, including a fresh turbocharged powerplant and uprated suspension that will offer even sharper handling.

The Astra VXR arrives in showrooms in 2010, and will go into battle with the Ford Focus ST and Volkswagen’s all-new Golf GTI, which is due at around the same time. Other manufacturers will be bringing out revised and uprated hot hatches by then, too, so the VXR needs to be on top of its game. As you can see from these images, it builds on the styling of the Astra, adding an array of go-faster items to the three-door family hatch’s sleek, coupé-like shape.

As befits the VXR brand, it gets a ground-hugging bodykit and massive air intakes at the front, as well as a diffuser-style rear bumper, complete with a central exhaust.

Details such as 19-inch alloys, a roof spoiler and a range of bright body colours finish the hot hatch look. Inside, as with the rest of the Astra range, the newcomer gets a totally redesigned cabin, as seen in our exclusive spy shot (see panel, opposite). High-quality soft-touch materials will be used, while equipment including a Bluetooth phone connection and a stereo compatible with MP3 players is set to appear.

On the VXR, the interior will be enhanced by heavily bolstered sports seats, a chunky steering wheel and brightly coloured trim inserts. The current Astra VXR isn’t lacking in fireworks – it was the most powerful hot hatch available until the Mazda 3 MPS arrived – and the newcomer will continue this ethos.

However, with pressure to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy, the second-generation VXR will replace the 237bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged unit with a new 1.8-litre motor. It will still be turbocharged and boast around 240bhp, allowing a 0-60mph time of six seconds and a 150mph top speed, but it will be cleaner and more economical, too.

There is also the outside chance of a diesel VXR. With a new range of 2.0-litre CDTI units debuting in the Insignia later this year, Vauxhall bosses have the option of a high-perfomance oil-burner – particularly as the line-up includes a 168bhp version.

As for the chassis, the Astra gets General Motors’ new Delta platform, which will also underpin Chevrolet’s forthcoming Lacetti replacement and the Saab 9-1. The platform makes use of lightweight materials and has a multilink rear suspension layout.

Lowered and stiffened springs, plus electronically controlled dampers, should ensure that the Astra VXR is a grippy, agile and involving hot hatch. What’s more, the dampers, steering and throttle response can all be sharpened at the touch of a button. While the Insignia VXR will get a new four-wheel-drive system, the Astra will remain front-wheel drive, which means engineers will have to work hard to contain the torque steer and improve the poor traction of the current generation VXR.

Expect to see the first concept car previewing the new Astra at the Paris Motor Show in October. Sales will start before the end of 2009, with the VXR arriving in 2010.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    already been posted.
    its just a chop of an astra and a corsa.

or as this really smart cool funny guy said
    "looks like an astra has mounted a corsa"
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

95' GSI
    Click here to enlarge I want piccys lol.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    click on the link on the first post Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    or as this really smart cool funny guy said
    "looks like an astra has mounted a corsa"
    i heard he was a bit of a nancy myself...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 95' GSI Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge I want piccys lol.
    check the link.

double post.

95' GSI
    they didnt come up for me

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.8ltr turbo 4 potter with 176kw................ Click here to enlarge

And you want us to start getting excited, what a let down !!!

BTW that's a really bad chop job on those pics.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    1.8ltr turbo 4 potter with 176kw................ Click here to enlarge

And you want us to start getting excited, what a let down !!!

BTW that's a really bad chop job on those pics.
    how about torque?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's lighter than the current VXR by 100-150kg and those specs....SWOEEET!!!
    You got romance. You got the boots. So, I just gotta ask. Can I get in your pants?

Thread Information