Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ishley Click here to enlarge
    I dont really think that the SriT and XR5 are in the same class. I would put the XR5 against the VXR.

I find that funny.

You say the SRiT shouldnt be compared to the XR5 but instead the XR5 should be compared to the VXR due to power and what not.

Yet most ppl compare the GTI to the VXR instead of the SRiT yet the power of the GTI is the only 147kw the same as the SRiT hehehe.

I got a little laught out of that.

From those seeing and being in them i would say get the GTI or the GT if you can afford them that is (not being biased or anything here either).

But betwee the SRiT and the XR5 the XR5 wins hands down that is for sure. As already said the new one is coming so either hold off and wait for that or wait for a dealer bargain on old stock when the new one comes in.

Or you could get a VXR 2nd hand or even a SRiT 2nd hand. There is 2nd hand GTI's selling for around the 30k mark now too.

SSS_Hoon
    Click here to enlarge
    ......all that work and still not enough killer wasps, So i'm in the hunt for more.....

Life Is A Bitch, Death Is A ****, That Comes For Everyone, When It Comes For You, Your Completely ****ed

"Soon to be adding to the family with a itty bitty bubby"

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSS_Hoon Click here to enlarge
    I find that funny.

You say the SRiT shouldnt be compared to the XR5 but instead the XR5 should be compared to the VXR due to power and what not.

Yet most ppl compare the GTI to the VXR instead of the SRiT yet the power of the GTI is the only 147kw the same as the SRiT hehehe.

From those seeing and being in them i would say get the GTI or the GT if you can afford them that is (not being biased or anything here either).

But betwee the SRiT and the XR5 the XR5 wins hands down that is for sure. As already said the new one is coming so either hold off and wait for that or wait for a dealer bargain on old stock when the new one comes in.

Or you could get a VXR 2nd hand or even a SRiT 2nd hand. There is 2nd hand GTI's selling for around the 30k mark now too.

SSS_Hoon
    Maybe the GTi and VXR are compared cos they are both 2.0T aren't they?
    Whereas the XR5 is a 2.5T, so comparing it to a lower spec 2.0T (in the range) would be unfair? that's how i'd justify it anywayClick here to enlarge
    However i'd agree that the GTi vs SRi-T is prob fairer due to almost identical quoted figures...i have no idea on prices Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XR5 is a 2.5L 5 potter...should not be compared to a low output sri-t 2L 4 potter..not fair.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC the Golf GTI starts at nearer $40K and can very quickly head towards the $50K mark by the time you tick some options and pay your on road costs.

Talking of VW...not much quicker than any other hot hatch but man I would love an R32 Golf...mind you the new R36 Passat Wagon looks rather tasty!!

I think the GTI, VXR and XR5 are all compared with each other because of their price bracket, equipment levels and performance. I know the Golf lags a touch in the 0-100 and outright power pub talk but the GTI is the original "new school" hot hatch and is so good at what it does that everything else is going to be compared to it.

I have had a look at $30K GTI's but in all honesty I would be dubious about going near one. They have very high KM's for an urban based, 2 or 3 year old car and the service history is often missing...I guess the people who do lots of KM's dont feel like doing more than one service every 12 months Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    The XR5 is a 2.5L 5 potter...should not be compared to a low output sri-t 2L 4 potter..not fair.
    Seems the engine type never figures in to the comparison tests of the various hot hatches.
    I'm not sure the XR5 really gains anything from having a 5cyl engine so it cant really be excluded from any comparisons...still has the same power and torque output as the rest...Same with the Golf R32, hugely expensive but no quicker than a GTI.
    I think its mostly there as some very clever marketing and looking at the tuning results people are getting it is hugely unstressed and in a state of de-tune...probably originally installed that way to allow for more powerfull 'special edition' cars later or to allow Ford to use the engine in other more powerful cars.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    it all comes down to personal preferance mate.
    i would never own a gold r32, i just dont like them.
    i would have an xr5 or vxr anyday of teh week.
    buy wat makes you happy, and wat you feel drives better.
    wat interior you like better, wat features you like more
    also wat you can afford.

like they say mate, opinions are like assholes Click here to enlarge

this post is prob no help at all, but its just an opinion Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A much apreciated opinion to poita!

I agree its got to come down to personal choice and I do like the Astra...but I dont want to be driving it and thinking "I wish I had...." So I thought it would be good to see if any of you guys regretted your choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy an Epica... Click here to enlarge
    ex. ~2.5L V6 Vectra~
    ex. ~matte black '07 Honda VTR 250~
    current ~phantom black '11 Triumph Street Triple R~

In the future, in the past, somewhere ......
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the looks of the Astra Coupe more than the XR5 or GTi. Mechanically the later 2 are better in execution as the SRiT has the previous engine. But after having mine for nearly 1 & 1/2yrs, she still looks fantastic and no regrets at all. Power wise, lacks a little but she's aint no rally basher. Perfect for cruising and still turns heads.

Flash tune would solve your power deficit. Click here to enlarge If that's your issue.

Click here to enlarge
    "oooh Simon gets a turbo, this could be dangerous!" Mr Cali
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSS_Hoon Click here to enlarge
    I find that funny.

SSS_Hoon
    I try to compare car's in price brackets more then anything. I mean when it comes down to it, a car that you pay $40,000 for should have more feature's then something that you pay $30,000 for.

It was just the big difference in power that was one of the main difference's between the two.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deviant Click here to enlarge
    IIRC the Golf GTI starts at nearer $40K and can very quickly head towards the $50K mark by the time you tick some options and pay your on road costs.

Talking of VW...not much quicker than any other hot hatch but man I would love an R32 Golf...mind you the new R36 Passat Wagon looks rather tasty!!
    I love the R32 Golf too! Or even the R50 Tourag that should be coming......
    Click here to enlarge
    It's RED and it goes PPHSSSSS
    And as good as gone.....

Thread Information