Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so true...

(watch from about 40 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEsLCY8vB0
    Last edited by glider; 8th June 2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57 Click here to enlarge
    First i've heard of this, but i don't think many people know (or care) where the turbos originate, the rest of the car is all German, all BMW!!!!!

I know the diesel turbo's in BMW's are Garrett items!!! (The 3.0d turbo is one big mutha Click here to enlarge )

Possibly BMW didn't want to spend big dollars on the development of turbo's, at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!
    Hi Steve, it's the 1st you, me and others here have heard of it LOL - but it's a 'FACT' none the less !!!

True though at the end of the day "who cares" as long as they work and work good, which they do, as this BMW twin turbo IL6 engine has now been voted car engine of the year in some categories for 2 years running...

I just pointed this simple fact out, so some people here *cough 'BW' cough* get a correct understanding and appreciation of Japanese automotive hardware and quality that's good enough for even the top Euro brands to accept and use on their cars Click here to enlarge

As for yourself Steve, if you can, spend some time in that forum I've been going to lately (my links from previous posts) originally put up by Ian (Imay) it's very informative on BMW's especially the 1 series and the 'N54' IL6 TT engine we're talking about here... Click here to enlarge

It's even answered all my questions I originally asked you about the 6sp steptronic trans Click here to enlarge

BTW the power output is alot more (as I'm sure you know) than 30kw over the 128i's N/A motor (the average dyno readouts I've seen show 191kw at the wheels for an auto equipped 'N54' engine powered Beemer) and the torque is also much more than quoted and around 50% more than the 128i's N/A motor...that's a HUGE difference - Ian this is a good point for you to know too !!!
    The 'N54' engine is also running a very conservative tune, as with most factory turbo engines...flash tunes with no other mods give increases of around 30% in both power and torque and exhaust/induction mods give up to 50% increases if you wanted to go that way, so those tiny Mitsubishi turbos are nice units Steve with plenty extra potential on offer Click here to enlarge

And remember also that here in Australia, we don't get the 128i coupe or convertible variant only the 125i/135i for coupes and 120i/125i/135i for the verts...and also no 128i or 135i for the hatches !

Just for info the N/A 3.0ltr IL6 in the 125i is rated at 160kw with 270nm at the engine...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    I saw heaps of BMW 1 series coupe at BMW in the city today (near Crown)!!!
    Really ???

I'm going to go there and have a look if I get the chance this coming weekend Click here to enlarge

There are still none over at BMW Doncaster, which I think is the largest BMW dealer in Melb. ??

I want to check these out in the metal, hope they've got most of the colour range there too Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge

As for yourself Steve, if you can, spend some time in that forum I've been going to lately (my links from previous posts) originally put up by Ian (Imay) it's very informative on BMW's especially the 1 series and the 'N54' IL6 TT engine we're talking about here... Click here to enlarge

It's even answered all my questions I originally asked you about the 6sp steptronic trans Click here to enlarge

BTW the power output is alot more (as I'm sure you know) than 30kw over the 128i's N/A motor (the average dyno readouts I've seen show 191kw at the wheels for an auto equipped 'N54' engine powered Beemer) and the torque is also much more than quoted and around 50% more than the 128i's N/A motor...that's a HUGE difference - Ian this is a good point for you to know too !!!
    The 'N54' engine is also running a very conservative tune, as with most factory turbo engines...flash tunes with no other mods give increases of around 30% in both power and torque and exhaust/induction mods give up to 50% increases if you wanted to go that way, so those tiny Mitsubishi turbos are nice units Steve with plenty extra potential on offer Click here to enlarge

Just for info the N/A 3.0ltr IL6 in the 125i is rated at 160kw with 270nm at the engine...
    Yeah i have had a look at the 1 Series forum a while ago to see initial pics of the coupe/vert variants, it's helpful to many prospective buyers (not me unfortunately) which is great!!!! Glad you were able to find out about the auto trans info on there!!!

With the 128i, that is a US spec N52 motor which has a different manifold and ECU, here in OZ we got the better N52 which has 195kW and 315Nm (seen in 130i hatch, 330i, 530i, Z4, X3 and X5 3.0si), which is the engine the 225kW TT N54 is based on, 30kW more!!

Same deal with the 125i, it is another variant of the N52, but different manifold and ECU again!!!

Essentially the TT N54 was created to phase out the highest spec N/A N52!!!

I'll be in contact later in the week Ange about a drive!!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah i have had a look at the 1 Series forum a while ago to see initial pics of the coupe/vert variants, it's helpful to many prospective buyers (not me unfortunately) which is great!!!! Glad you were able to find out about the auto trans info on there!!!

With the 128i, that is a US spec N52 motor which has a different manifold and ECU, here in OZ we got the better N52 which has 195kW and 315Nm (seen in 130i hatch, 330i, 530i, Z4, X3 and X5 3.0si), which is the engine the 225kW TT N54 is based on, 30kW more!!

Same deal with the 125i, it is another variant of the N52, but different manifold and ECU again!!!

Essentially the TT N54 was created to phase out the highest spec N/A N52!!!

I'll be in contact later in the week Ange about a drive!!!
    I see what you mean regarding the engines, but that 225kw from the N54 is actually more like closer to 240kw from the dynoed cars charts I've seen on that forum Click here to enlarge

Regarding the possibility of a drive - AWESOME...Click here to enlarge I owe you one Click here to enlarge

If it happens, I can put it down in memory and then compare to the others on my short list Click here to enlarge

And I ain't telling the missus either LOL, she's biased and wants me to get a Beemer regardless, I want to focus more on value for money, which the 135i has over other 'hi po' Beemers, but I'm still to be convinced it has over other makes in a similar or lesser price range...

BTW off topic, but I think worth mentioning, that forum is incredible in it's members participation numbers, along with the numbers I already pointed out on previous posts, the most users ever online at any one time was 3,627 Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge from a total number of 5,485...over 60%

For OpelAus to match that, we'd have to have 2,231 members online at once, compared to the current record of only 199...less than 6%
    Last edited by Wraith; 9th June 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essentially the 125i coupe we get here is badged as the 128i in the USA.

The 130i hatch gets the 195kw engine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    Essentially the 125i coupe we get here is badged as the 128i in the USA.

The 130i hatch gets the 195kw engine.
    Thanks rjastra, your correct - did a bit of a read on the Aust. BMW site and that does seem to be the case Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saw a black 1 series convertible near work today (close to flagstaff station) in the city. Looked awesome! anyone here owns it?Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    saw a black 1 series convertible near work today (close to flagstaff station) in the city. Looked awesome! anyone here owns it?Click here to enlarge

Hey USC what time was that ???

I walk out of Flagstaff station every morning around 8:10-8:15am Click here to enlarge

I've yet to see one on the road, either vert or coupe....most people who've ordered one are still waiting delivery (some have to wait until Feb. next year) and I think the 1st deliveries to people here in Melb. started only last month or April...and apparantly they're selling very well, from the forum I've mentioned on these pages, there's an Aust. sub section and they quoted around 160 units sold per month so far....

Speaking of the 1 series vert - checked one out in the metal at BMW Doncaster - cashmere silver with matching taupe fabric top looks unbelieveably sexy.... :drool:
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was around 9:30 am...coffee time!!Click here to enlarge ....the guy was blocked in traffic in his black 1 series convertClick here to enlarge ..I could not see whether it was a 120i or 125 or 135 as it was on the other side of the road.

I saw a white convert in clayton not long ago as well..that was a 120i...it looks much sexier/bigger in white I think!!

Thread Information