Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge

The twin turbos in both the 135i and 335i are Japanese made and supplied LOL Click here to enlarge

And guess by who ??? yep, Mitsubishi...

So I guess BMW don't like or want to use KKK/Borg Warner for these Click here to enlarge
    First i've heard of this, but i don't think many people know (or care) where the turbos originate, the rest of the car is all German, all BMW!!!!!

I know the diesel turbo's in BMW's are Garrett items!!! (The 3.0d turbo is one big mutha Click here to enlarge )

Possibly BMW didn't want to spend big dollars on the development of turbo's, at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!
    The very reason why the 125i is more than enough and would be my choice of the 1 Series Coupes on offer in Oz!
    The 135i with its extra initial cost, extra theft appeal, higher insurance (cause it's got a turbo!) and thirst for PULP or PULP+, although it's still very, very nice, is more than I'd ever need as a daily driver.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57 Click here to enlarge
    First i've heard of this, but i don't think many people know (or care) where the turbos originate, the rest of the car is all German, all BMW!!!!!

I know the diesel turbo's in BMW's are Garrett items!!! (The 3.0d turbo is one big mutha Click here to enlarge )

Possibly BMW didn't want to spend big dollars on the development of turbo's, at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!
    some parts could be from china, some from south africa..etc.

if you look at any windows on a new BMW, they have the CCC (chinese compulsory certification)...new astras/opels have them too. in fact new jap cars also have them now. so, parts are sourced from all over the world.

u would never know where all parts are sourced from except if you work in the engineering division of BMW or factory operations or Management in Germany. A dealership is like coles selling a certain brand of yogurt...they dont know all the "secrets".

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    A dealership is like coles selling a certain brand of yogurt...they dont know all the "secrets".
    ???

Not sure what you're on about, but the point i was making is that the car is still built by German's regardless where the parts are from!!!

Obviously there are alot of parts outsourced from other countries to cut costs!!!

Current:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah imagine if Merc and BMW were building their cars the way they did in the 80's and early 90's...you'd be paying $120k for a base 3-series!!!
    You got romance. You got the boots. So, I just gotta ask. Can I get in your pants?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bornwild Click here to enlarge
    Yeah imagine if Merc and BMW were building their cars the way they did in the 80's and early 90's...you'd be paying $120k for a base 3-series!!!
    Yep!!!

Mate found the original sales documents for his '89 E30 325i, was in the mid $60k range, hell of alot of money in those days, but heck those things still run damn well almost 20 years later because they were built tough!!!

Will like to see how the latest cars (not only BMW) stand the test of time in a new, disposable society!!!

Current:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57 Click here to enlarge
    ???

Not sure what you're on about
    I meant..working for a dealership is like working for a distributor for a brand...yes, they would know their cars (hope so anyways) but they will not know about all the "internal secret decisions" (ie, where all parts are sourced..etc) that are made by the company that actually manufactures the product itself. The part could be made by some external company that stamps the BMW badge on it in china for example.

If course they would do that to cut costs.

I saw heaps of BMW 1 series coupe at BMW in the city today (near Crown)!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep..thats for sure...I used to love the 5 series in the 90`s(and still do)..they were really tough!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The toughest car on the planet in my books is the 90's E-class.....you can't destroy that thing if you flooded it and raped it all day long.....you just can't destroy it.
    You got romance. You got the boots. So, I just gotta ask. Can I get in your pants?

OpelAus Forum Regular Black Nugget's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The toughest car on the planet in my books is the 90's E-class.....you can't destroy that thing if you flooded it and raped it all day long.....you just can't destroy it.
    I reckon 80s diesel E and S class...there not the no1 african dictators choice for a reason.Click here to enlarge
    Black '02 SRi

Thread Information