Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry car jerking in acceleration

Ok i put $20 bucks of BP premium fuel (my local one all ways go there) in yesterday arvo, i think the car drove home ok, this morning drove to work and also car drove ok i think. This arvo driving home from work car was jerking/shutting/surging just a weird feeling under acceleration and deceleration.

Example:

So at 60km/h in 3rd or 4th gear car running fine. Take foot fully of acceleration pedal and under engine compression car jerks once or twice (normal does it once but only very small almost not noticeable) then decelerates fine like as normal. Put foot back on accelerator pedal and apply some gas slowly (and no im not just putting my foot flat to the floor) and car jerks/shutting/surging its a weird feeling (normally neva does it)??? does this for like 1/2 a second then runs fine. But its doing this everytime u take your foot off or on the pedal.

Anyone have any ideas??? It feels like the engine is struggling, like im almost in the wrong gear, like i should be in 2nd not 3rd (it does this in any gear any speed and any RPM). Im hoping its not gearbox/clutch/flywheel related and maybe some bad fuel?? as this is the only thing i could think of that may have coursed this.

Thanks for reading and your help in advance Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine does this on down changes or from near red line when you just let off the accelerator, but i have a feeling its related to my dieing clutch, unless you blip the acelerator \ release the clutch fast and get it spot on it jerks like a bitch....or drive like a grandma and do it all realy slowly.

My clutch wont fully engadge on a down shift unless its pretty much all the way out now.

Tough takeing off, it seems ok, you barely haft to let the clutch out to get it moveing..... but i wait untill its fully engadged normaly before i give it to much go peddal other wise it slips and thats just not cool !
    sigs are stupid Click here to enlarge

My car goes broom, all 91kw of it !

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dave Click here to enlarge
    Mine does this on down changes or from near red line when you just let off the accelerator, but i have a feeling its related to my dieing clutch, unless you blip the acelerator \ release the clutch fast and get it spot on it jerks like a bitch....or drive like a grandma and do it all realy slowly.

My clutch wont fully engadge on a down shift unless its pretty much all the way out now.

Tough takeing off, it seems ok, you barely haft to let the clutch out to get it moveing..... but i wait untill its fully engadged normaly before i give it to much go peddal other wise it slips and thats just not cool !
    No good about your clutch man. I noticed this problem when i was driving like a grandma so thats why its got me worried. Cheers for the quick reply
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this the first time u are using premium ? ur car must have got used to normal unleaded and not liking the additives in the premium. use it all and try filling completely with normal unleaded from shell. i dont think it is the clutch...engine struggling has nothing to do with clutch... if clutch was slipping, engine would be revving hard to go slowly...

95' GSI
    Thats what my Corsa does when the engine sensors are playing up.
    Becomes all jerky, then eventually it wont turn over then when it does, it coughs/splutters and dies Click here to enlarge
    easy problem to fix if thats the case. Just need to get it re-connect but it's probably not your problem.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    is this the first time u are using premium ? ur car must have got used to normal unleaded and not liking the additives in the premium. use it all and try filling completely with normal unleaded from shell. i dont think it is the clutch...engine struggling has nothing to do with clutch... if clutch was slipping, engine would be revving hard to go slowly...
    Unfortunately i always put premium 95 or 98 in her, ive never used 91, so that should be fine. Yea your rite about the clutch i didnt think about that.

It does the jerk thing and then just kinda takes off, when under acceleration you can give it as much stick as you want and doesnt bother it. its only when you take your foot off and then back on again?? hmmm. So i was thinking bad fuel maybe, because when its under deceleration its not using any fuel, then when you put your foot back on the pedal it gets a mouth full of it upsets it and then gets over it.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gf`s car did the same and it was the spark plug leads.

check ur spark plugs and coil pack as well.

If it was a sensor, the ECU light would come on...you could get a scan and see if codes are coming up.

I would start with leads. how many kms has your car done and do u still have original leads?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it was a sensor, the ECU light would come on...you could get a scan and see if codes are coming up.

I would start with leads. how many kms has your car done and do u still have original leads?

No ECU/engine light came on. Not sure if the leads are the original ones, i havnt changed them, in the 50,000kms ive owned her. and im sure the mechanics wouldnt have done it on any of the services. She's got about 148,000km so shes getting on in her life now, although she still goes like a bat outa hell.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plugs and Coil Pack +1Click here to enlarge
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so today i had a look. My spark plugs by the look of it are the original ones. I went into my local auto electrician to see if they had any, and they didnt. They also think there original ones aswell. There an NKG (think thats it) but they've also got like a twin spark kinda thing happening. Two little sparky things on the spark end. So 148,000km out of the original plugs not too bad. Also the leads look like the original ones aswell.

Leads:
    Went into autobarn and they wanted $148.
    WalkersAuto and they wanted $145.
    Went into holden and they wanted $190 Click here to enlarge even the guy at the spare parts desk said hope your feeling rich. Also the coil pack about $190 aswell (from holden).
    Ive never brought plugs or leads before but i guess im not gonna get much change from $300 bucks.

Cheers for all the help guys, im hoping the problem is just plugs and leads!!
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information