Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    magnatec, in every car i've used it in, has "leaked" from the engine, all of a sudden, the engine leaks oil after about 2000k's of driving, put good oil in and it doesn't leak at all after 2000k's.... Magnatec does sludge a bit too, i'd liken it to GTX2 with a different label and more exxy
    Aaron
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just changed the oil in my SRi Turbo,and went for Mobil 1. It seems good,better than holden product. I also believe in changing oil more regularly,every 6mths or 5000km. Its a small price to pay for peace of mind,especially when the car gets driven hard regularly! :wink:

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i just got my car serviced last week, got the whole deal doen, brake and cluth fluid. Fuel filter. spark plugs, general tune up. And i decided to use Motul 8300. ITs from france, and what i've been told is that the european standards of oil are much higher than here. For instance this is a 1005 synthetic, but they classify mobil 1 as semi sysnthetic, compared to their standards.

So far its running like a treat!
    Do people forget that they are adults?

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been following this discussion on oil because I'm trying to decide what to use in the Astra. I'm going to change the oil every six months because the other half uses the car to get to work every day and that's a 10 min trip each way. At this stage I am tending to think a full synthetic is overkill on a no turbo car that doesn't get onto a race track.
    I was considering using Magnatec but I'm not so sure now. I was suprised by the comments.
    My other car is 20 years old with 200k on the clock. I've had it for 15 years and done 150k.
    For the first 10 years I always changed to oil when the on board computer indicated it was time, worked out to 10 -12 months and about 12k.
    The last 5 years the car's only been doing 4-5k a year and the oil has been changed yearly.
    The engine doesn't use any oil at all and no oil leaks. The engine hasn't been touched apart from scheduled cam belt changes. The seat of the pants feeling is it still pulls as hard as it did when I bought it and the fuel consumption tends to back this up.
    The oil used was Castrol GTX seventy percent of the time, mainly because it was always on special somewhere. I'm sure the results would have been similar if I'd used Mobil or Shell's mineral multi grade oil.
    I don't think oils are as fragile as many people think. At work we have doubled the oil change interval of our stationary engines from two weeks to four. Four weeks running would be equivalent to about 60k.
    Anyway I think Ive rambled on enough.
    Has any one tris tried a synthetic oil branded "AC Delco" ? Sold at local Holden dealers for $39

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few questions?

Why put exxy synthetic oil in a car and then change it every 5000km? What a waste of oil and money. Synthetic oil should be able to easy handle 10000km oil change intervals.

The other point is this... how long are you guys going to keep your cars? I reckon it would be an effort for most of you to hang onto a car for more than 3 years :wink: Therefore why waste money (and time) unnecessarily changing oil if you aren't going to keep if for 100+K km? All you are doing is chucking your money at the NEXT owner of the car.

I get my oil changed as scheduled with the oil the Holden dealer supplies (Magnatec). Never noticed a significant oil usage between servicing either and no unwanted engine noises. The car doesn't get babied either!!

I have followed the routine serving in ALL my cars (some upto 100,000km) with no issues what so ever. So I ahve my doubts about the benefits of excessive oil changes.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dregger
    Well i just got my car serviced last week, got the whole deal doen, brake and cluth fluid. Fuel filter. spark plugs, general tune up. And i decided to use Motul 8300. ITs from france, and what i've been told is that the european standards of oil are much higher than here. For instance this is a 1005 synthetic, but they classify mobil 1 as semi sysnthetic, compared to their standards.

So far its running like a treat!

Where do you get motul from?
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RJASTRA :mainly cause its runs better now.....than it did on shitty catstrol gtx2 crap that holden put in.

NUTTR: from autobarn on doncaster road, opposite shoppo'mate'hey

about $55

great stuff!!
    Do people forget that they are adults?

Thread Information