Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil for Astra SRi 2.2

Hey All,

30K service coming up and Im going to buy some Mobil 1 from Kmart and take it to Holden.

This may sound stupid but is all Mobil 1 the same or do I need a certain bottle for my car (2002 2.2 SRi) ?

Thanks,

McG
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Anonymous
    Theres now 3 Different types of Mobil 1, Bare with me here.
    0w-5, 15w-40(Original) and 10W-50(I Think).
    As I've read from other Astra Owners, They don't like Mobil 1 too Much.
    It causes Valve Train Chatter on Start up till Warm.
    I'm using Castrol Synthetic R 15W-50) and I don't have no real problem except when cold its sluggish coz the Oil is Thick till Warm.

Anonymous
    ATM i have Castrol GTX3... has Magnatec b4. Both seen to be good oils to use.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem with the KMart variant (5W-50) nor the Shell Helix Ultra either (5W-40). Had all Mobil 1 (except 1 Shell oil) changes every 7.5k since 5k. I'm at 52k now. Going for another change this weekend.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only prob is the 2.2L with the stupid timing chain, when starting it makes enough of a chatter as it is..... i don't want it doing that any more than it does......
    Mobil 1 will only make it worse AFAIK, but i want to know what oil to use too.... previously used penzoil semi synth in my last car, was the BEST oil i ever used, magnatec by far the worst in any car i've used, GTX2 was second worst!
    Aaron
    Astra SRi 2003
    Lumma Grill
    Headlight eyelids
    Colour Coding
    Turbo Mags
    Eibach
    LED dash/interior
    ICE Click here to enlarge
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like to know. Whats wrong with Magnatec?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea! I'm with Astrix. What is this boo hoo with Magnatec? I'm no oil guru, and I know oils aint oils, but Magnatec seems to have received a bit of a knocking on the other site also. My Holden service centre use it (probably cheap!), so I can't imagine they would put it in if it wasn't any good. If it was going to damage an engine, I'm sure it would do it within the 3 year warranty period, so they would cop the end bill if it was no good.
    Please do tell, I'd love to know. Or is it personal preference only. Don't like the color/shape of the bottle it comes in? Brocky, Murphy or DJ don't endorse it? What is it?
    Ian

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what is wrong with it is that it creates sludge in the oil galleries. This is what I remember someone here and other sites have said. I personally don't used Magnatec except once when I was still running in the engine but only for 3,500km.

And if you think that Holden would get the right stuff, you'd be kidding yourself as Castrol has a quite a heavy presence in the NSW market with their oils. GTX3 to last 15,000km... I highly doubt it. Longer service intervals is a selling point which is why they extended the intervals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from the old school and will probably never accept that oil in a car can endure 12 months/15k of stop-start driving on the one sump full. I'll always have my oil changed every 6 months/7.5k regardless. Up to now I've been happy with the Magnatec, but going on this (and other) discussion, may be it's time to reconsider and seek some accurate advice.
    In the meantime, keep the opinions coming guys.
    Ian.

Mofok
    I remember on the old casing for Magnatec it used to say that this oil is not a car enthusiast oil and it is not recommended for hard driving. It is just the regular crap oil with this charge particle rubbish. Like GTX2 and 3, it is recycled from used oils. With Mobil1 or Shell Ultra synthetic, they are thin enough to flow up your engine when cold pretty fast anyhow, plus they protect in hard driving long after magnatec has given up the ghost.

Thread Information