Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling MY03 & MY04 Astra owners - Tyres

Could you please let me know what placecard is on your car. Also state what kind of car you have (CD, Equipe etc). Also those with HBD wheels too helps (a lot).
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I may be a bit slow..
    Placecard ??? HBD ???

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Placard is the tyre car which states the factory tyre and wheel dimensions. Determines the maximum legal sizing of wheels and tyres you can go to.

Mine was inside the fuel filler cap if it helps.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Ultra... that's the info I am after.. the placard on the inside of the fuel flap. I'm just in a discussion with the RTA (NSW) on the issue of load rating for those that have an Equipe and CD people going up to 205/50R16. This includes people that have gone to HBD wheels.

To be a pedantic idiot, those that have 205/55R16 89V are technically "unroadworthy" coz the tyres are >15mm larger in diameter than the original size. I don't know how Holden got away with it but even that can be the thing that insurance companies can say to stop a payment.

Anonymous
    :shock:
    GRRRRR.... You leave my HBD Wheels alone...... :twisted:

did u want my details? mine's a 01 city 3 dr with
    205/55/16 on HBD's (with the stock Bathurst 1000 tyres they give)

I know that the standard placard has an HBD one stuck over it for the 16inchers.

OpelAus Forum Regular 01CDsedan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legality of tyres

>To be a pedantic idiot, those that have 205/55R16 89V are >technically "unroadworthy" coz the tyres are >15mm larger in diameter >than the original size.

Doesn't this mean that everyone with the HBD wheels would have an inaccurate speedo because the rolling diameter is greater?
    Currently: no Opels
    Formerly: 2001 Astra CD sedan, 2003 Vectra CDX

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Legality of tyres

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 01CDsedan
    >To be a pedantic idiot, those that have 205/55R16 89V are >technically "unroadworthy" coz the tyres are >15mm larger in diameter >than the original size.

Doesn't this mean that everyone with the HBD wheels would have an inaccurate speedo because the rolling diameter is greater?
    Yes, that's right and not only that (to keep on prodding Samvac more) is that the 55 profile is 16.xmm taller in diameter.. so watch out! the insurance companies has been notified! Click here to enlarge

I think the only feasible option is to go 17" in 205/45R17 88W (some tread have this weight rating) but considering how smooth Sydney roads are, you'll realise why some people like the good ol' Grand Rally S.

Anonymous
    >so watch out! the insurance companies has been notified!
    Big Mouth :cry:

Okay mr Smarty Pants. Click here to enlarge

Hypothetical time
    If I were to prang my car at my fault (and my car was stock, the way the dealer gave it to me with hbd wheels on).... and my insurance found that those wheels were the fault.

Can i claim against holden because they provided it as a genuine part....

Not that i'm that worried anyway, that just adds to the list of uninsured things.

Dregger will fix everything.... i hope.... :?

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think Holden stuffed up big time with the compliance of the Astra and tried to patch it up now (which still doesn't help its cause). I think you could go sue Holden for it... I think I could too with my SRi wheels. I'm too buggered to stuff around with it and since the 16" is almost worn out in another 5,000km or so, I'm going back to the good ol' 15" DL SP2020E.

Anyone feel like calling up the 1800 number for Holden Customer service and work out what tyres were used to comply the CD and Equipe. Well, that's what the dealer has told me.

Btw, Samvac, your car is fine coz it's a City.. it came with 86 rated tyres so it's a non-issue for you. It's only those people with 195/60R15 88H as their stock rubber that this concerns.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iam thinking of putting 18x 7.5 chrome rims on my SRi Turbo with 35 profile tyres, but iam a bit worried if they might scrape. Anyone changed rims on there car yet?
    Currently Playing:
    SUEDE@VBar Sat nights
    Seductive Fridays Monthly@Space
    Goodies@Goodbar Friday nights

Thread Information