Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OpelAus Participant BenGDoG3851's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    high five for the bike (i do it too :P )
    as for the car it automatically goes to neutral when in D and foot brake is on and speed = 0 (can here it and it makes parking the car as close to my bike in the garage really hard cause you take ur foot off the brake and for a split second you dont move then suddenly the car lurches forward (maybe only half an inch but i dont wanna hit the bike Click here to enlarge )

the book says 5L but thats obviously from dry. and as its not really designed to be changed the research ive done suggests that a simple heat up and drain isnt going to get that much out but i'll just put back in as much comes out. (and post it up here for future reference)
    oh well ive got monday off spose ill spend half a day siting waiting at holden :P
    thanks.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about that, a common feature for many Opel automatics (but not my 2.2 automatic).

You are right, draining an automatic gearbox isn't easy. They are designed to be drained, it's part of routine service, but they need the right equipment. A hoist so you can stand under the car to remove the entire oil pan, and than a pump to empty the torque converter.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did this job on an XC Barina. Buy 4 litres of correct transmission fluid from Holden dealer (part no.09117946) Suttons at Roseberry charged $22.00 a litre. drive car around till transmission has warmed up, realease dipstick, use a hoist if you can but you can jack one side up and remove drain plug. You should get about 2.7 liters out. If you play around with the jack and lift from other side and the front you may get a bit more out. Replace plug and refill with new fluid.
    Remember that engine must be running, hold foot on brake and move selector through the gears a few times back to park and then check level at cold mark with engine still running.. Do not overfill!
    This still leaves about a litre of old fluid but the oil I drained @ 60,000 klm was as new. You will have fluid left over so that next time you will only need to buy 3 litres.
    This is cheap insurance for your Auto transmission.
    For manual gearbox use Castrol SMX 0 also from dealer. Ive done F18 Vectra boxes and they can be quite dirty @ 90,000 klm.

Thread Information