Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 08 WRX STi

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Can you get an extract from it and post it up....would be interesting to hear their view Click here to enlarge

DH what did they actually say about the car - we all know it hasn't been the best demographic which purchased these cars in the past Click here to enlarge

I can’t post up the article but I will say that the STI gets the nod over the EVO, its faster, lighter, steers better, has a front LSD and looks like a special model. I found the new EVO-X plain Jain in the steel. (look out for NZ AutoCar)

Might go see if I can scrounge a test drive of the STI this weekend, they sent me an invite after I registered for info a while back. Well worth registering for info with manufacturers if you like test driving cars!
    Megane RS 250 Trophee
    Megane RS F1.R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TTEETT Click here to enlarge
    I can’t post up the article but I will say that the STI gets the nod over the EVO, its faster, lighter, steers better, has a front LSD and looks like a special model. I found the new EVO-X plain Jain in the steel. (look out for NZ AutoCar)

Might go see if I can scrounge a test drive of the STI this weekend, they sent me an invite after I registered for info a while back. Well worth registering for info with manufacturers if you like test driving cars!
    Great result for the Sti - it is all those things over the new Evo, probably why there are already numerous mods to power up the Evo to try and put it back on top in terms of performance... Click here to enlarge

As for looks, the Sti isn't one bit as bad as some people are winging about LOL, if you put it next to all the other hatches out there, AH 5 door, BMW 1 series, Mazda 3, Megane etc.- it holds its own, in fact it looks better than some of those, it's just as practical and blows em all away in performance and as a drivers car Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for looks, the Sti isn't one bit as bad as some people are winging about LOL, if you put it next to all the other hatches out there, AH 5 door, BMW 1 series, Mazda 3, Megane etc.- it holds its own, in fact it looks better than some of those, it's just as practical and blows em all away in performance and as a drivers car Click here to enlarge
    Looks way better is what you meant!Click here to enlarge

As for the 2.5's, they go great but arent as good as the 207's yet. burn oil abit i have heard.

Check this 06 sti from perth. http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12954
    dose for a day

or bov for a lifetime?

i think i know which one i'll choose. Haterz

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's alright, as long as they don't go through oil like a rotary Mazda engine or some of the early production LS1 V8's Click here to enlarge

As for looks, yes alot better than say a Megane Click here to enlarge or 5 door AH Click here to enlarge

*puts on flame suit and backs away into the corner* Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for looks, yes alot better than say a Megane Click here to enlarge or 5 door AH Click here to enlarge

*puts on flame suit and backs away into the corner* Click here to enlarge
    Totally agree. Ah is yak! Was reading in motor mag and they described the rear perfectly! Cow hipped. :sick:
    dose for a day

or bov for a lifetime?

i think i know which one i'll choose. Haterz

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's alright, as long as they don't go through oil like a rotary Mazda engine or some of the early production LS1 V8's Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Ange for reminding me about both engines flaws, now back to the shop to buy more oil............Click here to enlarge
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

Brisbane QLD Drives:'07 Mazda 3 MPS Colour:Aurora Blue
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would expect it to be better in performance...it has a $20K - $30K premium over most of those cars you mentioned, as for quality....thats another story.

And i wouldnt say it holds it own...its a BMW 1 series/Mazda 3..from the sides...just a tad beefy.

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Wheels For Awareness
    Supporting The Australian Cancer Research Foundation

Click here to enlarge
    |

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a blue STi on sunday going to the spit. looked rather good.
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when people try to compare the sti's performance to it's lesser siblings, and then bring the price point into consideration... "it's not 20K more performance - spending that 20K on XXXX will make it faster than an STI..."

Heard it many times before, and have also usedit myself in the past...

"why spend 20K more on an STI when a few coins at a WRX will make it just as fast"

I think you cant truly answer that one until you have driven both, or, even owned both.

I have

The STI is far more than just a few bolt ons on a WRX.

It is a far more "solid" car. The drivetrain is in a completely different league.

Take one for a drive, wind it up, and the, just when you think you've run out of room, slam on the brakes... Find yourself a tough corner, turn in late, late and hot.. real late... and mash the accelerator to the floor.

Do this with both cars, and I know which one will leave you in amazement.

I never really knew what an sti could do, even being a subaru devotee, until I drove a Friend's one. I signed up for a brand spanking new one a few days later.. and then found out more and more of what it could do in time. Thats right, what it can rather than cannot do.

Things you should consider:
    The gearbox isnt a little featherweight. It's teh real McCoy. When the track racers on forums look for these boxes as a second option to a dog box, then you know you're on a good thing. Take a look and see on teh forums how much the STI boxes go for...
    Brakes. Nice Pizza Pan Brembo's. Can do with a little Endless CCX magic, but in "standard trim" are brilliant. Decent pads required for serious track use. Have driven a car with AP racing 6 pots, and then driven a brembo equipped car, and there aint much in it. Brilliant brakes
    Front and centre diff. Try the same corner in a non front LSD car (eg, wrx), and then try again, but push even harder, in a front LSD car. It's a drug. You feel that the thing will just drift and then the front squabbles and bites and slingshots you out. Not many owners of these cars get to experience such a beautiful thing, so if you get the chance, try it.

I really do think that it's a car far greater than teh sum of it's parts. My gripe is that Inchcape don't give away performance drve days with the purchase of these cars. Mazda use to give every MX5 purchaser a defensive driving course voucher, and that would make most owners realise what the thing could do, and I think Subaru should be doing the same thing... (except that defensive course would be a bit lame for that car!)
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xplosv57 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Ange for reminding me about both engines flaws, now back to the shop to buy more oil............Click here to enlarge
    LOL sorry Steve........ Click here to enlarge

I was one of the lucky ones with my '99 LS1 powered HSV R8,as it had no issues with excessive oil burn or leaks, in fact the whole time I owned it (4 1/2 years) it never needed a top up Click here to enlarge

When I owned mine, I only knew of 2 other guys with oil related probs, one with his '99 HSV Clubsport and the other with an '00 LS1 SS ute...

I believe the later production LS1's and LS2's have no such issues to worry about Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information