Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astra H Low Coolant warning

So I was driving along today, and the low coolant warning came up. I checked and yes it is low. But that doesn't explain why it's low. I have not noticed any leaking and when I was checking the level I checked the pipes and there doesn't appear to be any leaks and they're all on correctly.

The car was last serviced in July for it's 30KM service and it came on a few days after. I figured that they'd done a flush and the morons hadn't refilled it properly (and even if they hadn't they should have picked up that it was low) Now, a few months later, it's happened again, making me think there is a problem somewhere in the line. So my thoughts turn to what the possible causes could be? a very slow leak? possible, but where? Using water? also possible but again, where?

Thoughts and views?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bill142 Click here to enlarge
    So I was driving along today, and the low coolant warning came up. I checked and yes it is low. But that doesn't explain why it's low. I have not noticed any leaking and when I was checking the level I checked the pipes and there doesn't appear to be any leaks and they're all on correctly.

The car was last serviced in July for it's 30KM service and it came on a few days after. I figured that they'd done a flush and the morons hadn't refilled it properly (and even if they hadn't they should have picked up that it was low) Now, a few months later, it's happened again, making me think there is a problem somewhere in the line. So my thoughts turn to what the possible causes could be? a very slow leak? possible, but where? Using water? also possible but again, where?

Thoughts and views?

burning coolant?= head gasket.

could be leak around waterpump area?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the low coolant warning come up regularly for months now - always in cool weather. And every time I've checked the coolant level it's been fine.

I'm putting it down to a faulty sensor. I'll get it looked at at next service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alix Click here to enlarge
    I've had the low coolant warning come up regularly for months now - always in cool weather. And every time I've checked the coolant level it's been fine.

I'm putting it down to a faulty sensor. I'll get it looked at at next service.

My VXR does this, slight hills when parked trick the sensor too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i'd say put it down to a sensor but also have you done any mods recently to that area of the car?? i.e installed a temp gauge? If so check the thermo housing...as I found with the Ah it doesn't have gasket in a true form..its a fine rubber like seal when you remove the housing you need a new seal regardless...if they flushed the engine or removed the housing for any reason and didn't replace the rubber seal...i'd say you'd be loosing water from somewhere around there...look with a torch the red coolant that holden uses will show up on the metal work...also wait till it cools and run your finger around it...if it feels damp...could be the prob....thats my two cents ;-)

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mods. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it was just one of those one off things, but I doubt it.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you still repeatedly get the coolant warning on the centre console display screen?

I had it appear twice in the space of several weeks, so just wondering should I be concerned. The engine coolant is above the COLD mark when cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, haven't seen it in ages - I can't remember the last time.

I didn't remember to get it looked at last time I got the car serviced either. Whatever it was just seems to have cleared itself up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    possibly due to bubbles in your coolant system - you can try bleeding your coolant system

remove the cap on the expansion tank (when cold!), turn on car, and let it run until the thermostat opens. watch if any bubbles come up through the coolant, if so that might be your problem

though honestly if you haven't had the coolant flushed and renewed recently - its unlikely air pockets have gotten in. so it might be your sensor as mentioned above

OpelAus Forum Addict Red AH SRI T's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SRi T did this for a while and then it simply stopped.

Thread Information