Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wrx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden Click here to enlarge
    Subaru WRX engines are shit... yeh awesome argument. Click here to enlarge Really who gives a shit about peak power and torque... as rjastra said, driveability and useability is what it's about. Do some track work and you'll quickly learn that.
    Ironically, the moment in time when peak power and torque kick in are very important in track work. Hence I said the engine is shit......Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bornwild Click here to enlarge
    Ironically, the moment in time when peak power and torque kick in are very important in track work. Hence I said the engine is shit......Click here to enlarge
    It's not all about the engine... no good worrying about peak power and torque if you can't turn corners. Is the Volvo 5 cylinder in the XR5 shit too? Considering it's got a whole extra cylinder and extra capacity and doesn't produce as much power as the VXR? The engine isn't factually shit, it's your oppinion.. you don't like it and that's fine. There's a difference between an engine that is shit and an engine that you don't like.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a fan of the XR5 engine mainly cause of the sound and agility....it's the same capacity as the WRX engine and puts out flat 320Nm 1000rpm earlier all the way up to 4000rpm. The volvo engine is more suited to track work than the subaru engine, however.

And yes, I do not like the 2.5l engine. It's 'soft' compared to the 2.0l old-school boxer.

Anyhow, we'll never agree so I'll just stop it here.

Brisbane QLD Drives:'07 Mazda 3 MPS Colour:Aurora Blue
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a fan of the XR5 engine mainly cause of the sound and agility....it's the same capacity as the WRX engine and puts out flat 320Nm 1000rpm earlier all the way up to 4000rpm. The volvo engine is more suited to track work than the subaru engine, however.

And yes, I do not like the 2.5l engine. It's 'soft' compared to the 2.0l old-school boxer.

Anyhow, we'll never agree so I'll just stop it here.
    I think he will never agree because you dont have your facts....

The boxer engine and the 5 sp manual are well suited for the track...and i will admit...the VXR and MPS are not...doesnt mean they can't keep up. just have to do a bit more work.

If you want to continue with your power and torque summary....a 2.3L turbo mazda engine puts out 190Kw and 380Nm....60Nm more than any other hot hatch...how does that work????

More cubes = more power is so Australian and is rather outdated.

The MPS uses S40 brakes from the volvo.

The XR5 is a awesome car on the track....handles very well and has a nice flat torque curve that only the 5cyl can produce....so that extra cylinder even tho it doesnt produce the Kw you want to see from a big 2.5L...makes a huge difference with you need to keep the power in a certain range around the track.

Vectracious, rjastra and a few others obviously understand what im talking about...its not always about Kw and Nm....more about balance and handling. The new WRX doesnt deliver this and the reason has already been explained...its now a "general" car to suit all markets/ages not just young boy racers.

The STi....thats another story and another market.

One thing that annoys me is why..Japanese car companies are giving out figures on the cars on paper that are tamed down compared to what it really produces.

The new Evo and STi will have 225Kw on paper...like the MPS has 190Kw on paper....but i have heard that Japan has that gentlemans agreement and that they limit power.....but in real life the figures are much higher...some MPS have produced well more than the 190Kw stock...and every car is different. Insiders have said the power of the STi will be more like 240Kw...but they say lower figures on paper as its better to under estimate than over..as some companies have done...

Cheers
    DUG74
    Wheels For Awareness
    Supporting The Australian Cancer Research Foundation

Click here to enlarge
    |

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wherever did I say that Boxer engines are shit?!
    Ahh yep!!! You have just proven to me that you are a TOOL. Little background information. The Boxer motor used in the WRX. A flat four engine is refered to as a " Boxer" motor because of piston motion looks like a boxers arms in in motion.

Congraulations on being " Opelaus Tool of the month"

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    That's what I was referring to as well - I asked "why is THE boxer shit?"

What... diesels?

Congratulations to the OPC. Subaru would have engineered and designed the engine so it could do what it had to do - not win a pissing contest of peak torque and power.....

The OPC peak torque kicks in a WHOLE 400rpm earlier - fark me - I'd better hold on to the Jesus handle 0.3 of a second earlier in a VXR.... and you crap on about peak torque figures, and then say that the WRX torque curve is rather flat - well then who give a shit if peak torque comes in at 2800 rpm - its going to have quite smooth power delivery anyway.

WHen the 2.5 came in the MY06 model and the EJ20 was retired - power stayed the same and torque went up only 20Nm for 0.5L of extra engine. Why did Subaru did that? ****ed if I know, however I'm sure that since they are in the business of making cars, they would know what they were doing and not worry about some nobody on an internet forum calling their engines "factually shit" just because they didnt follow the traditional formula of more cubes = more power.
    More then likely to do with Fuel figures then anything. I know the exhaust dump pipe on the turbos are as restrictive as **** from factory .
    Last edited by Shaun; 12th September 2007 at 10:01 PM.
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue
    My Other toy is a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shaun Click here to enlarge
    Ahh yep!!! You have just proven to me that you are a TOOL. Little background information. The Boxer motor used in the WRX. A flat four engine is refered to as a " Boxer" motor because of piston motion looks like a boxers arms in in motion.

Congraulations on being " Opelaus Tool of the month"
    You're a genius. I'm amazed you haven't been awarded a Nobel prize already.

Let's see if this will get picked up by the admins as personal insult.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a genius. I'm amazed you haven't been awarded a Nobel prize already.

Let's see if this will get picked up by the admins as personal insult.

Genius. Why thanks. Thats quite kind of you to mention that .
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shaun: stop calling people tools.

Bornwild: you didn't say "maybe", you said "It may be that the WRX torque curve is rather flat but only peaks at 2800rpm....even then....still shit." which to me reads as you saying that the WRX torque curve IS flat - not that it maybe flat.. And isn't it weird that you have described yourself as an expert on the boxer motors, but then you speculate about the torque curve??? somebody who proclaims they know the subaru boxer motor "inside out" should be able to draw a damn torque curve off by heart....
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    Shaun: stop calling people tools.

Ok maybe i was alittle too harsh.... But it could have been worse...
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the torque curve. It isn't flat. It peaks gradually and then sharply drops.

PS. Well not everyone manufactures boxer engines at the quality level of Porsches, hence speculation about Subarus torque curve. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by bornwild; 12th September 2007 at 11:56 PM.

Thread Information