Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wrx

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    That sounds about right as Subaru have purposely 'softened' the new wrx, I'm surprised the Golf has more road noise ?? it should be the quieter of the 2...
    A common failing with some euro cars. They can be noisey on some coarse roads. Either that or the tyres used (Golf GTI has significantly wider tyres than then WRX)

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bornwild Click here to enlarge
    Wherever did I say that Boxer engines are shit?!
    Early onset alzheimers????

Exactly what I was saying. That engine in the wrx is shit. No fanboyism here please...it's just factually shit.
    So why is it shit?
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what I was saying. That engine in the wrx is shit. No fanboyism here please...it's just factually shit.
    i think that this is what he was referring to.... Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

'03 Opel Corsa SRi 1.8 Star Silver
    K&N Pod Filter, De-restricted Airbox, Opelised, ICE, Red & White LED's, 17" ROH Adrenalin's, Vectra diesel intake

To Come:
    Eyelids have arrived, awaiting paint.
    colour coding, Tint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, too slow Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

'03 Opel Corsa SRi 1.8 Star Silver
    K&N Pod Filter, De-restricted Airbox, Opelised, ICE, Red & White LED's, 17" ROH Adrenalin's, Vectra diesel intake

To Come:
    Eyelids have arrived, awaiting paint.
    colour coding, Tint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, nowhere in there did I mention Boxer.....only that engine in the WRX.

What's my reasons? Well, 2.5l(a large capacity 4cyl) with turbocharging putting out 320Nm at nearly 3000rpm and 3600rpm in the earlier version???

C'mon.....there's turbocharged 4cyl putting out more torque at much lower revs, i.e. 1900rpm.

The Astra OPC has a smaller engine with the same torque as the WRX kicking in at 400rpm earlier.....Crap engineering if you ask me, especially since the entire point of a BOXER engine is more torque....(and lower COG and more balanced power etc.)

PS. It may be that the WRX torque curve is rather flat but only peaks at 2800rpm....even then....still shit.
    Last edited by bornwild; 12th September 2007 at 03:41 PM.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly, nowhere in there did I mention Boxer.....only that engine in the WRX.
    That's what I was referring to as well - I asked "why is THE boxer shit?"

What's my reasons? Well, 2.5l(a large capacity 4cyl) with turbocharging putting out 320Nm at nearly 3000rpm and 3600rpm in the earlier version???

C'mon.....there's turbocharged 4cyl putting out more torque at much lower revs, i.e. 1900rpm.
    What... diesels?

The Astra OPC has a smaller engine with the same torque as the WRX kicking in at 400rpm earlier.....Crap engineering if you ask me, especially since the entire point of a BOXER engine is more torque....(and lower COG and more balanced power etc.)

PS. It may be that the WRX torque curve is rather flat but only peaks at 2800rpm....even then....still shit.

Congratulations to the OPC. Subaru would have engineered and designed the engine so it could do what it had to do - not win a pissing contest of peak torque and power.....

The OPC peak torque kicks in a WHOLE 400rpm earlier - fark me - I'd better hold on to the Jesus handle 0.3 of a second earlier in a VXR.... and you crap on about peak torque figures, and then say that the WRX torque curve is rather flat - well then who give a shit if peak torque comes in at 2800 rpm - its going to have quite smooth power delivery anyway.

WHen the 2.5 came in the MY06 model and the EJ20 was retired - power stayed the same and torque went up only 20Nm for 0.5L of extra engine. Why did Subaru did that? ****ed if I know, however I'm sure that since they are in the business of making cars, they would know what they were doing and not worry about some nobody on an internet forum calling their engines "factually shit" just because they didnt follow the traditional formula of more cubes = more power.
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHen the 2.5 came in the MY06 model and the EJ20 was retired - power stayed the same and torque went up only 20Nm for 0.5L of extra engine. Why did Subaru did that? ****ed if I know,
    It's all about driveability. Anyone got a graph of the torque curves of the 2L, 2.5L and current WRX engines?

Of course the other point is that the OPC is equivalent to an STI Impreza (both the tuned hipo versions) Click here to enlarge

If you look at a "normal" Astra SRi Turbo you find the max Nm happens at 4200rpm for a figure of 262Nm. The WRX doesn't look so bad now does it?

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    It's all about driveability. Anyone got a graph of the torque curves of the 2L, 2.5L and current WRX engines?
    You're correct about the driveability - the 2.5L basically got rid of the lag the WRX suffered from up until about 2700rpm with the 2.0L - however, having driven an 01 an 03 and my 05 - they did pretty well in the 05 to get rid of as much lag as possible.

But we're looking at it waaaay too deep rjastra - all that matters is who's got the biggest dick. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subaru WRX engines are shit... yeh awesome argument. Click here to enlarge Really who gives a shit about peak power and torque... as rjastra said, driveability and useability is what it's about. Do some track work and you'll quickly learn that.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge

Of course the other point is that the OPC is equivalent to an STI Impreza (both the tuned hipo versions) Click here to enlarge

If you look at a "normal" Astra SRi Turbo you find the max Nm happens at 4200rpm for a figure of 262Nm. The WRX doesn't look so bad now does it?
    Price-wise the WRX stacks up somewhere about the same as the VXR, not the Astra turbo.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vectracious
    What... diesels?
    No. Ford Focus ST....same sized engine....putting out 320Nm from 1800rpm to 4000rpm. All the other hot hatches have peak torque very early on as well.....except the Megane.

.. and you crap on about peak torque figures, and then say that the WRX torque curve is rather flat - well then who give a shit if peak torque comes in at 2800 rpm - its going to have quite smooth power delivery anyway.
    I said 'Maybe' it has a flat torque curve. Can't find any torque graphs so yeah...

ohhh....and that 'nobody' knows the subaru boxer engine inside-out.

Anyhow, I agree with Entice fully.

P.S. I can't wait for the turbodiesel version of the Subaru boxer engine, which will be coming out 2008/2009.Click here to enlarge

Thread Information