Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Sensors

OpelAus Participant Mainframe_Module's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reverse Sensors

Since it's the coupe (btw, do you prenounce it coop or coopay?...ive always prenounced it coopay but everyone else says coupe like coop) version of the astra i am looking into buying, i know that rear visability may be an issue.
    however i am pretty tall at 6ft2-6ft3 so maybe its only short people that have had problems with visibility.

anyway, my question is firstly - do any of you have the holden fitted reverse sensors? do you think they're worth it and handy?

and secondly, if money is an issue when buying (Depending on the amount i end up getting for trade in and the deal on the car itself) is it possible to leave the sensors for a while, and if i find visability to be an issue for me - get them installed in say a few months down the track when ive got some more cash?

im assuming its not factory fitted and they just drilll some holes in the bumper and stick the sensors in there and plug something into the onboard computer yeah? so it shouldnt be that hard...

thanks Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Attitudes Are Contagious... Mine Might Kill You.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Am almost certain that the sensors are dealer fitted.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mainframe_Module Click here to enlarge
    Since it's the coupe (btw, do you prenounce it coop or coopay?...ive always prenounced it coopay but everyone else says coupe like coop) version of the astra i am looking into buying, i know that rear visability may be an issue.
    however i am pretty tall at 6ft2-6ft3 so maybe its only short people that have had problems with visibility.

anyway, my question is firstly - do any of you have the holden fitted reverse sensors? do you think they're worth it and handy?

and secondly, if money is an issue when buying (Depending on the amount i end up getting for trade in and the deal on the car itself) is it possible to leave the sensors for a while, and if i find visability to be an issue for me - get them installed in say a few months down the track when ive got some more cash?

im assuming its not factory fitted and they just drilll some holes in the bumper and stick the sensors in there and plug something into the onboard computer yeah? so it shouldnt be that hard...

thanks Click here to enlarge
    lol, I don't think individual height will make a difference to rearward view, it's more about the car and how much it does or dosn't have, from the seating position......you should be able to get good at it though in any car as you get more used to it.

I've had factory fitted reverse sensors before, IMO, they are pretty useless and annoying, a beeping sound that gets quicker as you get nearer to another object, better to have a rear view camera (I've installed one on my vert) Click here to enlarge

You can always have the sensors installed at any time, either by the dealer or DIY.

As mentioned, if it's really a problem, I'd look at fitting a rear view cam, or getting aftermarket sensors which not only 'beep' but give you a distance reading as well, much more reliable way to go.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

In the future, in the past, somewhere ......
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the "beeps" on mine. No real issues with the noise and works pretty well.

If the noise was consistant and became annoying, there are several problems Wraith.

a) Reversing too far.
    b) Leaving the gear in reverse all the time.
    c) Parking too close and cannot disengage reverse.
    d) Taking too long to park.

Camera is a gimmick and belongs to vans, 4WDs, vehicles that have absolute limited visabilty. Or your too short in the driver's seat and can't see behind. Click here to enlarge

It was offered to me by Holden (all reversing options), but the beeps were good enough for me. Go and check out a vehicle with one and go from there.

Click here to enlarge
    "oooh Simon gets a turbo, this could be dangerous!" Mr Cali
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rear view cam gives you a total open view of everything behind you - how can that be a gimmick ?? Click here to enlarge

You could never match that with parking sensors Click here to enlarge

I'll bet if you used one, you'd love it, like I said, I've had both, sensors are useless compared to a cam and rear view cams will eventually replace sensors and become standard Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to U mainframe, read the pros and cons and what your budget allows U to get.

Everyone has their own ideas. Best is to check them all out in person, then decide what U want/fancy/afford.
    Last edited by SIMid; 4th May 2007 at 01:26 PM.

Click here to enlarge
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    A rear view cam gives you a total open view of everything behind you - how can that be a gimmick ?? Click here to enlarge

You could never match that with parking sensors Click here to enlarge

I'll bet if you used one, you'd love it, like I said, I've had both, sensors are useless compared to a cam and rear view cams will eventually replace sensors and become standard Click here to enlarge
    Gimmick for a vehicle that dont need them. I've seen them in person and I couldn't justify paying towards $1000 from Holden for one. And yes, all cars will eventually get them in future.

I usually just turn my head around and see for myself to what's behind. The beeps just helps to pick up anything in my blind spot. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, I'm on my 3rd car with reversing sensors.

2 have been Bosch Parkpilots, and teh 3rd on is on the Wagon, and is an OEM Holden/Lumen Kit.

My thoughts? Wouldnt have another (new) car without them.

Bosch will be my choice next time. Only reason why i went OEM this time is due to canbus fears, which installers of aftermarlet gear have since worked out how to bypass (install a cap).

The beauty of the Lumen (oem) ones is that they are prepainted. Other than that, they are crap compaired to teh bosch ones.

Re the beeps. Definitely not annoying, unless you tow, or carry a bike rack. 2 of my cars had towbars, and a switch was installed to disable the sensors on towing (ie, if you select reverse on towing you'd hear a constant beep, which gets annoying if you have something that's hard enough to reverse anyway). This is a easy fix. Oh, sensors can be "trimmed" to accomodate for a constantly left on towbar tongue.

Re visual displays. I personally think that once you get use to the sounds you hear, the distance display is redundant. The bosch kits had a series of LED's indicating distance, and I do find this handy.. only reason is that it reacts faster than the sounds.. and reacts sooner (ie, the first LED lights up at around 1.5m). Lumen has no visual led's and is real slow to react on distance change.

Camera's. Not much experience with them other than in a 4WD. had to remember that the spare wheel was mounted on teh rear and didnt come into the field of view.. so, the tobar might be close to teh bumper, buyt the spare wheel is decapitating the otehr car's hood (Didnt happen, but you get what I mean). I can see their use. But personally, If my car didnt have a touch screen in it already, I wouldnt be forking out teh extra cash. If it does have a (compatible) screen, then by all means, worth a try.

My advice on choosing a brand.
    Read teh specs. see what their minimum distance read is. Ie, how close are you when you hear the flatline beep? This may be important is you usually need to squeeze into tight spaces.
    Look at the sensors.. tehre is a difference in how they are constructed, and quality is important if you rely on these buggers (like me)
    Look at how they are installed and secured to teh car, and what they look like
    Choose an installer who's done it before, and, very importantly, make sure they prep the sensors properly prior to painting them!

oh, also decide opn if you want them for teh front of teh car... I Know parkpilot not has a 2 front sensor kit available..... might sound silly, but if you live where I do, it's always a tight squeeze.
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have OEM reverse sensors on my SriT G and they have been very handy, the turbo has the rear wing right in the middle of your rearward view so the sensors have taken some of the guesswork out, once you've got them its hard to go back. The beep is annoying but how often do you sit with the car in reverse close to an obstacle? Better than hitting a pole.
    Astra Sri Turbo - going, going.................gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick and to the point, I have them, got them installed by the dealer, worth every dollar, no problems installing at a later date they just wire them into the reversing lights so they activate when you go into reverse pretty simple procedure. I went through the dealer as it was less messing about and the colour match was perfect.

Thread Information